Epilepsy Awareness (Full Training)
School based staff and others who supervise children and young people with epilepsy
Benefits of attending :
The course gives participants a basic understanding of epilepsy and all its implications. Participants will be trained to recognise seizures, to deal with them adequately and to respond to emergency situations with the use of medication.
Part 1 Half day general epilepsy awareness training aimed at increasing the participants’ knowledge of the condition and confidence in dealing with people with epilepsy. There will also be a short video. Following this there will be a short test.
Part 2 Half day session which provides the participants with the necessary theoretical and practical training in the administration of rectal diazepam, nasal / buccal midazolam and where necessary administration of rectal paraldehyde.
Following this there will be an assessment to evaluate whether participants have achieved required standards in the general management of seizures and the administration of emergency medication.
On completion of the course, participants will:
- Understand epilepsy and its effects on children and young people
- Be able to carry out First Aid management of an epileptic seizure
- Be aware of the circumstances in which rectal, intranasal or intrabuccal medication should be given as an emergency First Aid procedure
- What is epilepsy? Causes of epilepsy & Different types of seizure patterns
- Psycho Social Implications
- First Aid and Management of Seizures
- Medication overview, Emergency medication practical session
- Issues emerging & Assessment
- Video – Seizures
On successful completion of the assessment, participants are issued with a certificate, which entitles the candidate to administer Rectal Diazepam and nasal/buccal Midazolam for TWO Years. After 2 years candidates will need to attend a half-day refresher training to renew their certificate
Tutor: Kate Triscott, School Nursing Service
Dates for session 2016/2017
|04/11/2016||HSL018||Epilepsy ( Full Training)||9.30-3.30||Saltire Rooms 1+2, John Muir House|
|24/02/2017||HSL019||Epilepsy ( Full Training)||9.30-3.30||Saltire Rooms 1+2, John Muir House|
|12/05/2017||HSL020||Epilepsy ( Full Training)||9.30-3.30||Saltire Rooms 1+2, John Muir House|
To book a place on any of the above dates, please email email@example.com quoting the appropriate reference number, and your name, designation and establishment.