A reminder that the school is closed on Friday 12th and Monday 15th September for the September Weekend. Please note that the school is open as normal on 18th September 2014.
Attainment & Achievement Awards Evening
We held our annual Attainment and Achievement Awards Evening last night, Wednesday 10th September. A great time was had by all, pictures to follow. Thanks to everyone who was involved in putting together this fantastic evening. A copy of the presentation can be found here: PowerPoint 2014
Seafood In Schools Event
On Tuesday 9th and Wednesday 10th September Dunbar Grammar School hosted this event to promote the importance of seafood in the diet and the seafood industry to the economy. All our cluster primary 5 pupils and our S1 students took part in the event along with S4 students from our Home Economics Department. We’ve had great feedback from the event.
Dunbar School Council Reminder
The next Dunbar School Grammar School Council (DGSC) meeting is being held on Wednesday 17th September, AGM at 6.30pm, full meeting at 7pm. Agenda will can be seen here: Agenda. We would like to extend a very warm invitation to new members of the Parent Forum to come and join us. Please just turn up on the evening at the school to find out what it’s all about.
Jeans for Genes Day – Friday 19th September 2014
Jeans for Genes is a national charity which raises money to fund care and support for children and families affected by Genetic disorders, many of which can seriously affect a child’s life. It also funds vital research into the causes and potential cures of these conditions. Students and staff have been asked to pay £1 to dress down. Please remember your PE kit. Please note if you choose not to contribute to the charity, full school uniform should be worn.
New Telephone System
We are in the process of installing a new telephone system, which will hopefully go live next week. This has involved some period of time when our phones were down, for which we apologise. This will enable incoming calls to be directed to various options, cutting down any delays in speaking to the relevant party. It would be useful to get some feedback from parents and carers once the system is up and running.
Show My Homework
All students have now had presentations from Mrs Mackie on our new electronic homework system Show My Homework. Please see the presentation and letter if you wish to have more information. A hardcopy of this letter will be going home in the near future:
DGS Students – Pedal for Scotland
Last weekend 4 of our DGS students joined almost 10,000 cyclists to complete the 50 mile journey from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Well done to Rebecca Greaves, Ben James-Dorin, Tom Mullender and Angus Welch! They finished their day by cycling back to Dunbar from Drem station. An amazing 60 miles of cycling! Well done!
Following a couple of near misses this week where students ran onto the road from between parked cars, please can we remind students to be vigilant when crossing roads, especially during busy times and if listening to music. Also, please can parent/carers be extra careful when driving near the school, especially if parking on Summerfield Road, and be aware of students walking and cycling on the roads. We would also ask cyclists to follow the Highway Code and signal to pedestrians and motorists.
Student Rule Reminders:
- Out of Bounds: No student (including S5-S6 and prefects) is allowed out of school at morning break. This of course means that Looks is out of bounds. Equally the house next door, where the caravan is parked behind the Music department, and the car park are out of bounds at all times.
- Play Fighting: It is our experience that so-called play-fighting usually ends up in serious fall-outs between parties. It is therefore not allowed.
- Reception: Please remind students that they are not allowed to congregate/meet in the reception area. This area is too small and can become very congested. Any student wishing to go to the office should queue round the corner from the reception window. The blue chairs are only for guests and students who are unwell.
- Uniform: All students are reminded that they should bring a letter from their parent/carer if they are not wearing full uniform. Any doubt as to what constitutes uniform, please follow this link: Uniform. Any prefect not wearing full uniform will be asked to go home and change where possible, and run the risk of their prefect status being withdrawn.
- Prefect duties: These are an essential part of running the school and we are very grateful to the contribution made by our students. It is however crucial that these are carried out without fail, and in the case of any students unable to carry out a duty, they should seek to find a replacement and report this to the senior prefect and Mrs Mackie.
The coursing for this year is now completed. This means that no student will be allowed to change courses unless in exceptional circumstances. If you consider there is a reason, then an initial conversation should take place with Guidance, and then a meeting with Mrs Slowther if the Guidance teacher supports the change.
The role of House Captain is very important in terms of the running of extra-curricular activities in the school, of which we are very proud. This is also an excellent position to include in any personal statement or job application. In order to maximise our applications this year, the deadline has been extended to Tuesday 16th September. Forms can be collected from the office and should be returned by the end of day on Tuesday to the office.
Blanket PC1 Form for Trips During the School Day
All students were issued with a Blanket PC1 form last week. This covers most day trips throughout the year, which are within an hour’s travel from the school. Please can these be completed fully and returned to the office as soon as possible: General PC1 – Blank
There are no fixtures this weekend.
Last week’s results:
- S1 DGS Rugby vs Preston Lodge HS won 28-4
- U15 Rugby vs Preston Lodge HS lost 56-21
- S1 DGS Hockey vs Ross High School lost 2-0
- S2 DGS Hockey vs Ross High School lost 2-1
- S3 DGS Hockey vs Ross High School won 4-1
NHS Lothian Update
Please see attached letter from NHS Lothian in relation to Immunisation for secondary students: Letter
- Online Retail Vacancies 01 09 14
- Ed’s Diner – various roles
- Hybrid – Morning Cleaner
- TK Maxx – Sales Associate
Texas Scramble September 2014
The Texas Scramble is on Saturday 20th September, more information and entry forms are available on the website: http://winterfieldgolfclub.info/ If any parent/carer would like to contribute to the raffle, please hand in any items to the school office, or directly to a member of the DGSC.
Dates for Your Diary
|September Weekend Holiday||Fri/Mon 12-15th Sep|
|Staff & Students Resume||Tues 16th Sep|
|Mock Trial Competition||Wed 17th/24th Sep & 1st Oct|
|Senior Students’ Torness Trip||Thurs 18th Sep|
|Jeans for Genes Day||Fri 19th Sep|
|DoE Bronze||Thurs 25-26th Sep|
|AH Geog Trip||Fri/Sun 26-28th Sept|
|School Photographs||Thurs 2nd Oct|
|DoE Bronze trip||Thurs/Fri 2-3rd Oct|
Please also see Information Sheets for our most up-to-date Information Sheet including updates on lunchtime and after school clubs
- Well done to Teachers
- Academy Classes
- Edubuzz Updating
- Bikes and Scooters in School