Passing through France, Italy and Switzerland The Tour du Mont Blanc (TMB) is a 170km trek around the Mont Blanc massif, with a total ascent of over 10,000m – that’s more than climbing Everest! The reward; stunning scenery, the chance to improve your foreign language skills, learn about the Geography of the areas – and meet other trekkers from all over the world while staying in mountain huts and refuges.
The trip is organised by the ELC Outdoor Learning Service and led by our own qualified International Mountain Leaders. It will take place in the last week of the 2017 Summer Term and the first week of the Summer holidays . The trip is open to any pupils across the current S3 – S6 years in an ELC school who are up for the challenge.
While this is an adventurous and challenging trek in it’s own right with many benefits in terms of Health & Wellbeing and Personal & Social development, we are also very keen to include Geography and Modern Language outcomes in it’s objectives.
In brief …
- Curricular focus: Human & Physical Geography and Modern Languages (French and Italian)
- Open to: Current S3 – S6 across all ELC schools
- When: Last week of the Summer Term , first week of the Holidays – 14 nights, 13 days walking.
- Group size : Min 8 – Max 12
- Leaders; Andy Duff plus 1
- Cost: Approximately £1000. Dependent on numbers. Cost will be fully inclusive; food, hut accommodation, flights and insurance.
- Funding – Pupils will be strongly encouraged to organize fund-raising events and apply for sources of funding
- DofE: This would qualify as a Gold DofE residential (but not exped)
- The process : Expression of interest (Dec) , Parents evening (Jan) , selection / training session (Feb), the trip (Jun/Jul)
If you have pupils in your school , especially those who can use this to improve their Geography and Modern Languages, then please contact Andy Duff at the Outdoor Learning Service (email@example.com) and he can provide more information. And if you have some walking experience please let me know if you are interested in accompanying your group as an assistant leader?
A PDF of the parents evening presentation at Knox on Wednesday 25th Jan is here – TMB 2017 presentation