There will be a meeting for those who have applied to go on the Rome trip during activities week 2015 on Wednesday 5th November at break time in Mr Lanyon’s room.
There are spaces available for anyone else who would like to go and it is looking likely that the initial cost of £575 will be reduced. If you would like to go please come along to the meeting on Wednesday.
During Lunchtime on Monday 3rd November the
North Berwick High School Ukelele Orchestra
will be performing a free concert in the Preston Lodge Assembly Hall.
Come along a listen to this fantastic group playing lots of songs you will know.
Selex ES are holding a Recruitment Event, on Friday 14November 2014.
The key facts are below and a poster is shown below. This event is for students interested in a Technical or Craft Apprenticeship. The link: http://www.selex-
The Open Day will be at Crewe Toll in Edinburgh from 2pm – 7pm to promote career opportunities including:-
• Apprentice Development Programme– closing date 28th February 2015
• Undergraduate Placements which provide paid work experience during the summer of 2015
• Graduate Development Programme
• Specialist Engineers looking to move into a stimulating new role
To register for Selex ES Recruitment Event on the 14th November 2014, please find link below:
We would welcome pupils thinking about their future, parents/carers, teachers, careers advisors, guidance staff.
There will be tours, demos and refreshments.
If you ordered a book after the Dan Smith event last month, these have finally arrived!
Please come and collect your books from the Library – but remember, you must PAY for your book before you can take it away!
If you are interested, please see Mr Ramsay for more details.
We will visit:
-Euro Disneyland Paris
-Overnight ferry cruise into Belgium
-Bruges for sightseeing and chocolate factory
The S6 individual photos will be distributed via the register bags on Wednesday morning (22 October).
Senior Group Photography: To view this photograph please follow the link below entering the name of the school – Preston Lodge High School. Please note that all orders are through the school office.
This Wednesday 22 October the school will be operating a Monday timetable. Please remember to bring the correct textbooks/equipment with you. Thanks.
Firework Safety Assemblies will take place at the following times this week:
S2 Tues 21st Oct – 2pm S2 teachers please complete your registers then bring your class to the hall and stay with your class.
S1 Thurs 23rd Oct - 11.40am - teachers please bring your class to the hall at 11.35am
S3 Thurs 23rd Oct - 12.15pm - teachers please complete your registers then bring your class to the hall and stay with your class.
Each of the talks will last for approx 20 – 30mins
Applications will open on 22nd October 2014.
The Nuffield Research Placement Scheme is aimed at current 5th year students who will be sitting their Highers in 2015 and who are studying any Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Maths (STEM) subjects at that level (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Geography, Computing, Home Economics/Food Technology, Psychology, Music Technology, Product Design, Technological Studies etc).
- Students apply by completing an online application form which can be accessed on the Nuffield Research Placement webpage at http://www.nuffieldresearchplacements.org/
- The application form has various sections – personal details, education, personal statement, teacher reference, parent consent, bursary application (if appropriate).
- Once the students register, they insert an email address of a teacher who is to provide them with a reference. This automatically initiates an email to that teacher and allows them to log on to the student application, where they can view the various sections and include their reference.
- After the closing date (Feb 27th 2015), appropriate sections of the application will be forwarded to various supervisors for their consideration – this may then involve an informal interview.
- If a student and/or teacher has contact details of anyone in local industries/organisations who could offer a placement, they can let us know and include their details on their application. We can then follow this up.
- If successful, the student agrees start and finishing dates with their supervisor. The placements normally take place at the end of June, July or early August. The student will normally be working Mon-Fri (9am-5pm) for 4, 5 or 6 weeks. Students should therefore be made aware that is quite a big commitment.
- Students will receive all their travel costs to and from their placement. If they fulfil the criteria as set out in the application form, they may also be eligible for an additional bursary.
- Successful students are required to submit a report at the end of their placement and are also invited to display their work in poster form at a celebration event in the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh (as in a scientific conference). Next year’s event will be on Friday 4th September 2015.
PLEASE note – there are a limited number of placements available and as such, an application does NOT guarantee a Nuffield placement.
The placements help increase confidence and improve key skills including practical, communication, report-writing and presentation skills. It also provides students with excellent experiences & skills to include on CV’s and personal statements. By working with professional scientists and engineers in a real-life environment, the students gain an invaluable insight into a wide variety of careers.
More information on the Nuffield Research Placements scheme can be found at http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements
An opportunity has arisen for the commencement of a weekly swimming club at the Mercat Gait Centre, Prestonpans specifically for students on the autistic spectrum.
This will take place every Monday from 4pm to 5pm.
The commencement date of which is yet to be finalised.
The club is not for complete beginners with no swimming experience what so ever, but for those who can swim at least 1 length of the pool.
There is no charge for admittance or participation.
Anyone interested in attending the club and enjoying this free resource, please contact Mrs. Zoe Monaco (SFL teacher at Preston Lodge High)
Thanks to all staff and students for coming to school and wearing pink on Friday 10th October. We raised £575 for the Maggie’s Centre and Ward 1 (Therapies) at the Western General Hospital. We really appreciate the continued support.
The Persian Ladies
The last day for signing up to the Activities Week Rome Trip has been extended to Friday 24th October. If you require any more information or a letter please see Mr Lanyon.