Higher Education Questions

Ask questions here about Higher Education.

107 thoughts on “Higher Education Questions”

  1. Hi,
    I would like to study ”Events Management” at university and im wondering what universitys in scotland do this type of course.
    Thanks :]

  2. Just wondering what creative writing/english literature courses are around? I don’t know if I want to go to uni, but I think I want to end up doing something creative. Help?

    Nearest Creative Writing courses I found are at Strathclyde but there are courses available throughout the UK.

    ucas will locate the courses for you but it is interesting and worth discusing what you will do if not moving onto university after school. Here’s some careers advice for Writers/Authors from PlanItplus:
    There is no single route into this career.

    Try sending the editors of journals short stories, articles or “fillers” such as puzzles and quizzes.

    It is very difficult to find a publisher willing to consider unsolicited longer works such as novels. If you can find a literary agent willing to approach publishers on your behalf, this can open more doors.

    Publications such as The Writers’ & Artists’ Yearbook, published annually by A. & C. Black, list publishers, magazines and agents and give helpful hints. The Scottish Publishers’ Association produces a yearly Directory of Publishing in Scotland.

    Perhaps you could arrange an interview in school and we can discuss your career and post school options in more depth.


  3. where can you get a visa for travelin?

    I’m going to need more information!
    Let me know which countries you want to travel in and I’ll update.

  4. so i know a guy that knows a guy that wants to become a sports physio, what qualifications do you have in mind?

    You need to train to be a physio first and then you can specialise in sports physio. To train to be a physio you need to do a degree in physiotherapy. For entry requirements for this course you should refer to http://www.ucas.com

  5. Hey, I wouldnt mind going to a university, but in s5 all my courses are Int2s, is there any hope?

    Depends how you have done in your Int 2s this year. If you get good grades in these subjects and the school are allowing you to sit 3-5 Highers next year then it may be possible.
    You could also consider HNC/D courses at colleges as they usually require 1-3 Highers for entry, and can sometimes lead into degree courses.

  6. Hi,
    Im interested in studying ”Dietics” at university is it better to do a course in just dietics or a combine on for dietics and nutrition?
    Thanks 🙂


    As you want to become a Dietician I would suggest a degree course in Dietetics – there are a range of related courses which you could investigate.

    May be worth speaking to the tutors at Queen Margaret University to discuss http://www.qmuc.ac.uk


  7. i was just wondering what unis would be best for arcitechture or something to do with art????

    Depends an several things – the course, where it is and how it is taught. Architecture, for example can be studied in Edinburgh at University or at the College of Art which are very different environments. So, get yourself into the careers library and start researching the arrange to see me.
    Careers library sections E (Art) and U (Architecture) will help get you started.


  8. HI! I would like to work with sports but im not really sure exactly what. i was wondering if you could please give me some advice! thanks!

    Where do you want to start!
    You could look at the type of career you want, is it playing your sport? coaching? Sports Development? Allied professions such as Physiotherpist or Sports Scientist? This in turn may influence your choice of subjects in S5 and S6.
    You could start by completing Pathfinder under Applications on the school server and use Section G (Sports) in the careers library and then see me.

  9. i was wonderin what i would need to do to become a primary teacher??
    what uni’s are best for primary teaching??
    You should be aiming for 3/4 Highers to include English.
    The one that you choose!

  10. hi, i just want to know if it’s common to have courses studying for both film studies and french? And if there are, what unis provide them? I know law and french are more common but i’m really keen on taking something in relation to film studies because i want to be a film director 🙂

  11. I’m looking to study film and media at university in edinburgh. i know that i know that i need a higher english which is preferred, but what would be better to study, BA or BA (hons)??
    Please help me!

    I assume you are talking about the course at Edinburgh College of Art – if so this is a 4 Year Honours course – an ordinary degree course such as a BA would be completed in 3 years.

  12. I’ve already picked out a university course at queen margaret university college in acting and preforming that i want to aim for, i was wondering if there are any other courses or even another university that will offer a similar course but will let me have more qualificications to get a better job?

    There are other courses available and you can find them at ucas
    It may be useful to meet up and discuss your ideas as you are considering a career area that is based on talent so the academic side is only one part of your planning.

  13. what qualifications do you need to be a nursery nurse? thanks a lot ! =)

    You will find links to the local colleges on the home page, on the right hand side and check out the Child Care and Education courses.  You will need at least 4 SG including English.

  14. Isabel

    The only Higher subject they specify you need for entry to Primary Teaching is English. Some universities prefer you to have Maths as well. The amount of Highers you need varies from uni to uni, so refer to http://www.ucas.com for more specific information on entry requirements for the different universities.

  15. hi sorry i left a comment in the wrong bit a sec ago! but im thinking of doing medicine, is ther any useful info?
    Yes there is! I’m having a bit of difficulty with the site at the moment so I’ll email the stuff to you direct, then place it here later.
    Apologies for the delay in replying – gremlins on the blog!

    http://www.ucas.com for degree courses
    http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk – find Pathways to the Professions information
    http://www.planitplus.net/careerzone – for careers information and further websites scuh as BMA etc.

    The main issue for you is timescales – you will know from my talk that 15 October 2007 is the closing date so you need to move on research and gaining as much work related experience as possible before this date.

    You can contact the office in Musselburgh at any time – the number is 0131 665 3120.


  16. Do you have any information on good places to look for relevant medical work experience before the closing date for medical applications? Is is too late to try and book a placement for say one of the first weeks of next term? Who would i be best to talk to about this?

    Any info would be much appreciated

    Many thanks,


  17. James.
    If you check the about page you’ll see this is a blog for students in East and Midlothian so I suggest your best place to start is your local careers/connexions service!
    I will put some sites to help get you started soon.


    Hello  again!

    You need to start by asking yourself what you would like to study and where ucas is a good place to visit and try the Stamford test on the main page.

    Try this site as well to generate ideas.

     Ask in your school/college about careers software/packages.

    Arrange to visit institutions Open Days and see for yourself!

     Be aware of the timescales involved.

    Hope this helps.


  18. what subject should you choose if you want to do teaching.

    I assume this is from the same person so see my reply below!


  19. what subject should you choose to study in 6th form if you want to do teaching?


    The information here is for Primary School Teaching in Scotland and the same website gives information on Secondary Teaching as well.  As a general rule, here in Scotland, Higher English is required and you would check with the individual institutions after that depending on the route you choose (degree, postgraduate or courses at Stirling University) so send me some more information (what/where you want to study) and I’ll get back to you.


  20. hi mick so sorry about missing our thing i completley forgot so much was happenin yesterday you can throw your whistle at me or something if you whish. unfortunatley im not back till after october on the days that your in so we’ll have to discuss over here or via email problaly. i was really just wonderin what the process for gettin into to dublin would involve and how it could be done. alsop regarding the law degree whether it makes a big difference that the degree would be in irish law and how that may affect future career propspects. sorry again and thanks for doing the assembly thing this morning it was really appreciated.


    This blog will always be open to personal praise!  So enjoy your break and check in here for updates on your requests and I only ever throw other peoples whistles – never my own!


    Right – best place to start is by registering with Careers Scotland which will allow to use Exodus – a database of information on working/studying in Ireland. 

    You can follow this up by visiting this site and access somer further funding information here from Trinity College.


  21. How much practical experience do I need to get into to veterinary medicine at university, in terms of weeks/months.
    You should try and gain as much experience as possible!
    Diary and pig farms along with time spent with a vet would be useful.
    I’m going to try and get current students to give you more advice on the blog.
    Have you considered the Pathways to the Professions Programme offered by Edinburgh University?


  22. I’m kind of stuck.
    I don’t know whether to go down a science route at university i.e. veterinary medicine, or to go take a more arty degree i.e. law. I like the end result with science, but not so much all the science to get there. I like english and art, but I don’t like the end result as much, but I want to stick to a profession. Any advice?
    If I were you I’d arrange to see your Careers Adviser/Guidance Teacher to look at your options in more depth. You could try careers match at http://www.careers-scotland.org.uk for career deas and use http://www.ukcoursefinder.com for further advice.


  23. mick,
    is it essential to keep to the entry requirements for vet medicine e.g. do i have to do int2/higher physics if I haven’t done standard grade and probably won’t enjoy it. And how come to get into medicine you need no advanced highers, but for vet med you do?

  24. Robbie
    Mick asked me to respond from Edinburgh Univ.
    Simple answer is yes . If the prospectus or web site says a subject is required then you really need to get it. Remember that the competition is intense and you are up against applicants with all the right subjects and grades well in excess of the minimum.
    Regards Advanced Higher the majority of applicants will in fact have Advanced Highers.
    Have you signed up for Pathways by the way http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/pathways?

    Thanks for this Niall.

  25. what course should i do if i want to be a golf pro!!!!!:-)
    Hi Chris
    To be a golf professional you must qualify as a member of the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA). You start by registering with the PGA, as a trainee, for the foundation degree programme. There are various ways in.
    • A golf handicap of 4 or better (men), or of 6 or better (women).
    • 4 Standard grades at credit level or 4 subjects at Intermediate 2, including a literacy and a numeracy subject.
    • A Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ) Level 2 in business, information technology, retail, sports and recreation, travel and tourism or a related subject.
    • A higher level qualification such as a Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND).
    You will also need to be over 18. To find out more on getting on to the foundation degree programme and the training involved visit or alternatively the governing body of golf http://www.randa.org. Any further questions please don’t hesitate to get back to careers, good luck!

    Thanks to my colleague Debbie for that answer.

  26. i want to become a pe teacher, i have english gcse grade c but only have a D in maths and science i have Alevels in pe grade C and leisure and recreation grade BC. i am just finihing my final year at university studying childhood studies and sport and exercise psychology. I want to teach through the GTP route will they accept me without maths C grade although i aim to retake the gcse next year?

    I assume you are living in England and because of this I would suggest you start by talking to your college careers adviser. As you can see from the about section this blog deals mainly with students in East and Midlothian. Let me know if you need any help after talking to your own careers service.

  27. What do you need to become a physcotherpist? yehh..
    You are probably best to start by looking at a degree in psychology, although there are other routes as well. Check out the excellent BPS site which has a good careers section and this site gives further information and courses in psychotherapy.

  28. what is the easiest way to get a pilots license for commercial flying?
    Easiest-take a look at this!
    There are 3 main routes to becoming an airline pilot:

    integrated training for a Commercial Pilot’s Licence (CPL) with Instrument Rating (IR)

    training for a Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL) followed by modular training for the CPL and IR

    training to become a pilot in the armed services followed by a civil aviation conversion course for the CPL and IR.
    The CPL on its own allows you to fly professionally – you may, for example, carry goods in a small aircraft, do aerial photography, spray crops or go on to be an instructor teaching people to fly to PPL or CPL standard.

    However, to become an airline pilot, you must have the CPL with IR. This will allow you to be the Co-Pilot of an airline. To be a captain requires that you go on to obtain a full Airline Transport Pilot’s Licence (ATPL) with Instrument Rating (IR)

    Integrated Training for the CPL and IR

    Entrants either have to finance themselves through training or obtain full or partial sponsorship from an airline. Depending on the course taken, this will last between 9 and 36 months.

    The availability of sponsorships from airlines may depend on the national and international economic conditions at the time.

    Entry to a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) approved training school normally requires a minimum of 5 Standard grades, including English, maths and a physical science. However, entry to training sponsored by an airline normally requires at least 3 Highers, preferably including maths and physics, together with 5 Standard grades, including English, maths and a science subject.

    Many entrants to these training routes are graduates. Any degree subject is acceptable, but mathematics, physics, computing and engineering may be particularly useful.

    Entry to a degree course requires a minimum of 3 Highers and 2 Standard grades, normally including a pass in English. Many courses ask for qualifications well above the minimum.

    The CAA publishes a list of approved pilot training courses on its website.

    Students who finance themselves should expect to pay around £60,000 for their training.
    Training for the PPL, followed by Modular training for the CPL and IR

    If you are over 16 years of age, you can take take private flying lessons. Once you are over 17 and have completed the training, you can have your Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL).

    The PPL does not allow you to fly commercially or become an airline pilot. However, you can go on to take separate training modules for the CPL, the IR, followed by the ATPL.

    This modular route takes longer but is less expensive, costing around £30,000.
    Armed services training followed by a civil aviation conversion course

    You can enter the Army, Royal Navy, Royal Marines or Royal Air Force as a trainee pilot.

    There is a limited number of vacancies each year and competition is intense.

    On leaving the armed services, qualified pilots can take civil aviation conversion courses to allow them to gain their CPL, IR and ATPL.

    Further information on careers in the armed services can be gained from the Armed Services pages of this database and from Armed Forces Careers Offices throughout the country.

  29. What are the best subjects to take for law??

    The best place to start is ucas which gives details of all the degree courses in the UK. Try and think about where you would like to study and then research that course in depth. You could also register with Pathways to the Professions as well as looking at Achieversuk – the link is on the right hand side of the home page.

    Get back in touch and we can discuss your S5/6 choice of subjects and possible work experience etc.

  30. What qualifications are needed at higher for fashion design to attend university?
    I’ve put the background information here but we will need to look at this if you are talking about studying outwith Scotland. You will need to decide at what level you would like to enter, HNC/HND/Degree and this will indicate the number of highers required and the subjects (usually English/Art) and a good portfolio to support your application. I like this site which gives information on a range of art and design related careers. We can catch up in school and look at this in more depth.

  31. For some vet medicine and normal medicine courses that say they ‘require’ advanced higher biology, but will allow s6 who haven’t done higher biology in s5 to take higher in s6 and still have the chance of being accepted. Does this mean that as an s6 who did higher in s5, could i not do advanced higher and still apply?
    I suppose the first question I would ask is, what are your reasons for not taking Adv H Biology?

  32. When universities ask for BBBB at one sitting, do they mean all sat in one year or can be sat over two years as long as you pass them first time?
    In Scotland they usually mean at one sitting so the best option is to identify a course and then check with the admissions tutors at the institution about the tariff, which may/may not not go up if you take your highers over 2 sittings.

  33. At the s6 asbemlly you gave us a website that was full of university facts. I was just wondering what it was so i could check it out. Thanks
    Thanks for listening!!!!
    The site you want is http://www.unistats.com
    I will be sending details of this and other websites to the 6th year via email soon.

  34. hey am doing highers and wanted to get in medical school but i have taken the subject ‘ information systems ‘ instead of physics and i dont know whether physics is neccessary for highers to get into medical school can anyone help me ?
    The first place to visit is here and look at all of the courses available in the UK. If it’s just Scotland then this page will provide a good starting point. You should also contact admissions tutors for the courses you are intersted in and explain what subjects you intend to take and test out your option choice. If you are in Edinburgh and Lothians have a look at this programme. Arrange to discuss your ideas with your Guidance Teacher and Careers Adviser as soon as possible.

  35. I’m currently doing my Bachelors degree in biotechnology which is for three years..coming abroad would mean that i have to do an honours degree…what is it exactly?…and i would like to do my MSc in Forensics science and criminology..any one now any good universities that offer them?
    If you can email me and let me know where you are currently studying and which part of the UK you intend to study I will provide more information.

  36. If you get a masters degree in Management then concentrations in Marketing and Finance, does that mean you essentially have 3 master degrees?
    I’m not sure if you mean that your course allows you to take ‘electives’ in which case you have a single qualification. Better to check with the institution you intend to study at.

  37. Do i need pe to be a physio? and how many highers are usually required and at what levels?
    I have attached the careers information here
    In terms of Scotland there are 3 courses at Glasgow CaledonianQueen Margaret and Robert Gordon
    You will see that entry requirements do differ but that 2 science subjects are required at higher. Take a look at the links and then I suggest you discuss it with your careers adviser.

  38. Applied to do journalism at uni this year. I have an interview at caledonian but I have to complete some kind of entrance test! really worried about what kind of test it is going to be, how to prepare etc, and caledonian is my first choice so don’t want to mess it up. Any suggestions? Thanks x
    This extract should help and good luck with your application.

    This is a very competitive course with a high ratio of applications to places (20:1). The minimum requirements are outlined below, but to gain a place the following details are the really important things your application needs to include (You will probably need a couple of paragraphs at least on the UCAS form to cover all of this)

    a clear statement in your UCAS application that you want to be a Journalist, supported by…
    some evidence of that commitment: work experience in a news room; editing the school magazine; any articles published. Any one of these may suffice
    say as much as you can in your UCAS statement about your journalism experiences, achievements and ambitions
    Final admission is by interview and test (a requirement for NCTJ accreditation): we need to see if you really do have the human qualities journalists need (eg. curiosity, resilience, persistence, politeness); whether you really know what’s going on in current affairs, the press and broadcasting; and have an eye for precision in written English. The test is in two parts: 20 current affairs questions; 20 spelling, punctuation and grammatical mistakes to spot in a piece of News English. We will also ask you to sit a voice test in our digital radio studio, and bring along to the interview at least one (and no more than three) examples of your own original journalistic work. Ideally, these should be published pieces – from the school magazine, local paper, a website, for example – but if you do not have any such examples, do not worry: we will give you a precise brief to write something specially for the day.

  39. I know RSAMD has a course on technical and production arts but do you know of any other colleges or universities that do something similar? cheerss 🙂
    A quick search on ucas produced these results so take a look and try to arrange an interview with your Careers Adviser about developing your ideas.
    You could try this site and this one for further information and links.

  40. I’m seeking answers from individuals in higher education and their opinion on the following scenario:

    I am currently a training manager with over 17 years of experience with large corporations such as HP & Pepsi. I currently make close to a six figure income. I’m receiving my master degree next month in Instructional Design from UMASS.

    I’m deciding whether to immediately pursue a PhD on-line program (Instructional Design for Online learning) to allow me the opportunity of a second career to teach at the college/university level in the future. I know I could possibly get employment with a community college sooner with my masters but I’m not sure I could swing the cost of the on-line PhD program too without my current salary. I’d like to get the college teaching experience even though I’ve been involved in adult education (training) throughout the years. It was recommended to try to get an adjunct position in the meantime (possibly nightschool) to gain more college teaching experience.

    My other question is whether most faculty positions are based on 10 month calendar school year, is that given or quite possibly not unless noted on the job listing? I’ve been searching there too to see most of the requirements and salaries and seems most require a PhD.

  41. can you become a doctor if you have three higher only?
    If you use ucas this is unlikely. Most courses will want 5 Highers and some even recommend Advanced Highers. Why don’t you arrange to talk through your ideas with your guidance teacher or careers adviser?


  42. I just wanted to find out if it is possible to apply to medical school the next year from which you chose a completely different course in sixth year, but took a gap year out
    If you are asking about deferred entry then the ucas site states – The value of gap year activities is widely documented and most universities and colleges will allow you to apply for deferred entry, but we advise you to check with them before applying. It is a good idea to include details of your proposed gap year in your personal statement to support your application.

  43. Hi Mr Burns,
    Could you tell me:
    How many subjects are you allowed to take at Higher?
    Also, what subjects are compulsory at Higher?

    Thank you.

  44. hi, I want to be an architecture but the problem is that I have never done physics and I am not good at maths but I really enjoy art and got the best mark in art out of the whole 4th year but I don’t know what to do because I really want to be a architecture but the problem is that I have never done physics in standard grade and next year im moving on to 5th year 🙁 help !!! and how many higher’s and what subjects do you need to get to glasgow uni ????

    I’ve put some careers infomation here and Scottish degree courses here and Glasgow School of Art information as well as their brouchure and the entry requirements.
    I would strongly suggest you discuss all of this with your guidance teacher and carrers adviser as soon as possible.

  45. Hi, I’m planning on doing Chartered Accountancy after i finish my highers, so i was wondering how many highers i will need, and what grade i should get inorder to either get into a good uni in scotland or in england…..Can u please help me??
    The careers information you need is here and the Scottish degree/related courses here and the UK courses are are located on ucas and Scottish HNC/D courses here.
    Hope this helps.

  46. Hello,
    i am currently a fourth year pupil studying Maths, English, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Business Management, Art and Design and German. I’m hoping to apply to university this September. I’m considering applying to Medicine or Engieering. Some universities i have researched do not accept applications from S5 for medicine. Are Advanced Highers necessary for entry at MBChB Medicine all universities even if all 5 As are achieved at highers and non-academic requirements are met or are there any that accept applicants with just highers and no additional advanced highers?

  47. i want become a homeopathic doctor…i am much interested in the subject …from where i can get graduation .in uk.

    You could start here and visit here for more careers information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Careers information and advice