Miss Banks made delicious looking scones today!
350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
beaten egg, to glaze
* Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas
* Pour 350g self-raising flour into a large bowl with 1 tsp baking powder, then mix.
* Add 85g butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs then stir in 3 tbsp caster sugar.
* Put 175ml milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm, but not hot.
* Add 1 tsp vanilla extract then set aside for a moment.
* Put a baking tray in the oven.
* Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife – it will seem pretty wet at first.
* Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Sprinkle the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4cm deep.
* Take a 5cm cutter and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have used all the dough.
* Brush the tops with a beaten egg, then carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
* Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top. Eat warm or cold with a topping of your choice or just plain!