The children at nursery LOVE macaroni cheese so you will probably have a clean plate if you make this with them
- 250g/9oz macaroni
- 40g/1½oz butter
- 40g/1½ plain flour
- 600ml/1 pint 1½fl oz milk
- 250g/9oz cheddar, grated
- 50g/2oz Parmesan (or a similar vegetarian alternative), finely grated
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8–10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a saucepan slightly larger than that used for the macaroni. Add the flour and stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 10–15 minutes to a thickened and smooth sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to hot.
- Remove the sauce from the hob, add 175g/6oz of the cheese and stir until it is well combined and melted.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a deep suitably-sized ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining Cheddar and the Parmesan and place the dish under the hot grill. Cook until the cheese is browned and bubbling.
- Serve straightaway!