East Lothian Early Learning and Childcare Twilight Sessions 2017/18
Session PC05: Raising Awareness of autism in early years – Level 1
Wednesday 21 March 2018 5-7pm at The Cove Dunbar
A Twilight Session designed for practitioners working in Early Learning and Childcare in East Lothian as part of a series of twilight sessions to build our ambition to be reflective practitioners dedicated to delivering the highest quality early learning experiences. The sessions provide an ideal opportunity to develop a partnership network and to share practice.
This Autism Awareness course is aimed at improving early years teachers and practitioners’ awareness of autism, its nature and features and gives practical advice on dealing with individuals who have an autism spectrum disorder
On completion of the course, participants will:
- Have an improved awareness of autism, and its impact its effects and symptoms
- To understand the challenge of sensory processing difficulties and their impact on the child’s ability to learn and participate in their everyday activities.
- Be aware of the communication and social interaction difficulties that the pupils face.
- Be familiar with techniques and approaches for supporting pupils with autism in the classroom
- Myths and facts in Autism
- What is Autism?
- Sensory Processing
- Strategies and suggestions
Tutors : Laura Gray, Speech and Language Therapist, Susan Hagart, DHT, The Cove Communication Provision, Angela McLeman, Occupational Therapist.
To book a place please email staff development quoting the reference number PC05. Please include your name, designation, organisation and contact email address.
Only 2 spaces per organisation. No reserve list.