This is a two part course to develop understanding of ASD and to begin to implement key strategies in the classroom.
Part One Date: 16th February 2021
Part Two Date: 25th March 2021
Time: 16.00 – 17.30
Platform: MS Teams
In order to access this using a school laptop you must have a GLOW account.
This course is for all staff working in Education settings across the age range.
Attendance at both sessions is mandatory. The first session will look at some underlying theories in ASD and key strategies. The second session will focus on putting the strategies into practice and reflecting on your own setting and the needs of specific pupils.
On completion of the course, participants will:
- Have an improved awareness and understanding of autism
- Understand the challenge of sensory processing preferences and their impact on the child’s ability to learn and participate in their everyday activities.
- Be aware of the communication and social interaction needs that the pupils have and understand some key strategies
- Be familiar with techniques and approaches for supporting pupils with autism in the classroom
- Use the reflective tool to look at outcomes and next steps in their practice
- Myths and facts in Autism
- What is Autism?
- Sensory preferences
- Communication and interaction
- Strategies and suggestions
Session 2 will focus on the reflective tool and will be led by the needs of the participants