Time: 16.45 – 17.45
Venue: Google Meet
Tutor: Early Learning & Childcare Team
Designed for: All EL&C staff in Funded Provider and Local Authority Settings.
- To explore the development of numeracy in the early years
- To understand the Stages of Early Arithmetical Learning (SEAL), particularly the emergent child, and how this relates to the East Lothian framework
- To share practical ideas of how to develop this approach in your setting
- To examine the role of the adult in supporting children’s conceptual development, in play and real experiences
- Introduction to SEAL and Frameworks, pedagogy and the role of the practitioner
- Understanding numbers and numerals: developing number word sequences and knowledge of numerals
- Developing the perceptual counter – number structure, combining and partitioning and finger patterns
- Developing the perceptual counter – spatial patterns, subitizing and temporal patterns
- Multiplication and Division – grouping and sharing
- Developing your numeracy rich environment and displays
What is the commitment?
Please speak to your line manager before committing to the course.
The course runs over 12 weeks
- Every two weeks you will be sent a chapter to read
- You need to attend a Google Meet every two weeks – these will last an hour – you need to attend all the dates.
- You will be asked to be reflective throughout the process by keeping a journal, completing tasks and sharing your developments at the google meets.
Please register your interest here.
Please Note: You will be emailed by a member of the Early Learning & Childcare team by the 25th of June 2021 to confirm if you have secured a place.