First Steps – Supporting Leadership and Management Development
The programme has been developed for un-promoted staff with two or more years teaching experience.
First Steps into Leadership has professional recognition, which recognises the enhanced, significant and sustained enquiry a teacher has undertaken. It recognises the teacher as an accomplished practitioner in a particular area, in this instance the particular area is Leadership. A key characteristic of professional recognition is evidence that the participants practice is underpinned by ongoing reflective enquiry.
The 2021/22 First Steps into Leadership Application Form will be available from 21st April 2021. To request an application form please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for 2021/22 will be available from April 2021.
Please ensure you have the support of your Head Teacher before applying for this programme.
This course involves tutorials and blended learning with participants undertaking a small school based research project. Participants are also involved in a range of activities including a self-evaluation exercise, peer observation, e-learning, mentoring meetings and personal reflection of relevant literature. Support will be provided by the course facilitator and a senior member of staff acting as mentor.
There are six taught session one of which is a Saturday covering the following topics:
- Understanding & Developing Yourself as a Leader
- Leadership Skills – Coaching
- Developing People
- Leading and Managing Change
- Presentation of leadership journey
By the end of the course participants should be able to:
- Describe what situational leadership is an when it is appropriate to use each type
- Use the information gained from the Strength Deployment Inventory and apply this in managing themselves and the team
- State the difference between coaching and mentoring and state in what context coaching is appropriate
- Identify the various stages of team development
- Describe what is meant by distributive leadership
- Apply the knowledge learned from a change curve model to enable them to support their team through change
This programme is run on an annual basis and begins in term 1 and commences before the end of term 3. The duration of the programme is approximately 9 months.
First Steps Sessions
|Module||Title of Session||Date||Time|
|Induction||TBC||1330 – 1630|
|1||Understanding & Developing Yourself as a Leader||TBC||0900 – 1600|
|2||Leader as a Coach||TBC||0900 – 1600|
|3||Developing People||TBC||0900 – 1630|
|4||Leading & Managing Change||TBC||1330 – 1630|
|Presentation||TBC||1330 – 1630|