Design Principles for the National Literacy and Numeracy Qualifications have been agreed by the CfE Management Board and have been shared on the SQA website.
The website provides quite a lot more detail than I’ve seen up to now:
1. There will be two separate qualifications:
- National Literacy
- National Numeracy
2. National Literacy and National Numeracy qualifications will be available at SCQF levels 3, 4 or 5 and each qualification will have SCQF credit points. The qualifications will be ungraded.
3. Each qualification will be made up of individual assessable components which are coherent and worthy of recognition in their own right. Each assessable component and will be accorded an SCQF level of 3, 4 or 5 and SCQF credit points.
4. All assessable components must be achieved for the full qualification to be awarded. Where all assessable components are achieved at different SCQF levels within the qualification, the qualification will be awarded at the minimum level of component achieved.
5. The assessable components for National Literacy are:
- Listening and talking
The assessable components for National Numeracy are:
- Number processes
- Money, time and measurement
- Information handling
6. Each assessable component will be based on a broad definition derived from Curriculum for Excellence experiences and outcomes.
7. The National Literacy component Listening and Talking, and the National Numeracy component Information Handling, will be internally assessed and externally moderated.
Evidence for the other components will be gathered in a portfolio. Evidence in the portfolio will be drawn from across the curriculum or from more than one context.
8. National Literacy and National Numeracy qualifications will be separately recorded on the qualifications certificate.
9. Each assessable component achieved will be recorded on a Literacy/Numeracy profile, whether or not all components required for the full qualification have been achieved. Each assessable component achieved, its SCQF level, and its credit points, will be recorded on the profile.