I’m putting three half days aside each week next session to visit schools. I intend to make my visits much more focused than last year – where it was just a general review of learning and teaching.
I’ve recently written out to all Head teachers with the following letter. It will be interesting to reflect upon the impact of these visits later in the session.
HEAD OF EDUCATION: CLASSROOM VISITS
What is the purpose of my classroom visits? – to focus our attention upon the selection of challenging and appropriate learning tasks by teachers in the learning and teaching process.
Why is this important? – where children are required to undertake challenging and appropriate learning tasks the quality of their learning is significantly enhanced.
During my visits I’ll be asking:
· teachers to describe the learning task that they have set the class for that lesson.
· teachers to describe how this lesson connects with previous lessons and future lessons.
· children to tell me about their involvement in the setting of learning tasks
· children to tell me what they are doing and what they need to do to be successful in relation to the task.
During my visits I’ll be looking at:
· the level of pupil engagement in the learning task – at all ability levels within the class.
· the quality of children’s work.
· the information provided to children about the task
· the information provided to children about what a successful performance would look like.
Who will I visit?
· I would like to visit classes at random – rather than being directed to specific teachers. On my arrival in school I will discuss with the Head Teacher which classrooms it will be appropriate for me to visit.
How many classrooms will I visit during my time in school?
· At least two – I will remain in each class for at least 20 minutes.
What feedback will I provide?
· I will write to the Head Teacher with feedback about my visit.
What will I do at the end of the year?
· I will complete a report on visits to schools and reflect upon the issues and good practice that have observed over the course of the year.
I’ll be notifying all teachers of the purpose of my visits at the beginning of term.