As I’ve mentioned in an earlier post I intend to make three school visits each week in the coming session.
The focus of my visits are: leadership; self-evaluation and learning tasks.
At our Quality Improvement Group meeting this afternoon I was asked what I was looking for in relation to the last of these points of focus.
So here goes:
HEAD OF EDUCATION: CLASSROOM VISITS
What is the purpose of my classroom visits? – to focus our attention upon the selection of challenging and appropriate learning tasks by teachers in the learning and teaching process.
Why is this important? – where children are required to undertake challenging and appropriate learning tasks the quality of their learning is significantly enhanced.
During my visits I’ll be asking:
· teachers to describe the learning task that they have set the class for that lesson.
· teachers to describe how this lesson connects with previous lessons and future lessons.
· children to tell me about their involvement in the setting of learning tasks
· children to tell me what they are doing and what they need to do to be successful in relation to the task.
During my visits I’ll be looking at:
· the level of pupil engagement in the learning task – at all ability levels within the class.
· the quality of children’s work.
· the information provided to children about the task
· the information provided to children about what a successful performance would look like.
Who will I visit?
· I would like to visit classes at random – rather than being directed to specific teachers. On my arrival in school I will discuss with the Head Teacher which classrooms it will be appropriate for me to visit.
How many classrooms will I visit during my time in school?
· At least two – I will remain in each class for at least 20 minutes.
What feedback will I provide?
· I will write to the Head Teacher with feedback about my visit.
What will I do at the end of the year?
· I will complete a report on visits to schools and reflect upon the issues and good practice that have observed over the course of the year.