I’ve been invited to lead two seminars on the Seven Sides of Educational Leadership at the Association of Headteachers and Deputes Scotland national conference this Friday. Here’s an outline of what I might be doing. Learning Intention – We are going to learn how to use the seven sides of educational leadership to help us develop change strategies in our own working environments.
Success criteria –
- We will explore how metaphor can be used to represent change theories
- We will develop an understanding of how the various metaphors used in the seven sides of educational leadership relate to a particular type of educational leadership and culture
- We will examine a change strategy we have embarked upon in the past or present and use the seven sides to identify how we might develop our strategy
- We will identify which of the metaphors we are most at ease with and examine how we might make more use of other approaches
- We will discuss and shape the development of the seven sides approach.
Part 1 – metaphors for school cultures
Think of three schools that you have worked in – identify a metaphor for each of the school cultures eg “It was a fortress”
Share these metaphors with a partner.
Share these with then group.
Are there any common metaphors?
Why did you use different metaphors for each school – what made the school like that?
Part 2 – metaphors for leadership approaches
Come up with a metaphor for your own behaviour as leader in your own school-“ I am the ………………………..”
Share your metaphor with a different partner.
Share these metaphors with the group.
What does that metaphor tell you about your leadership approach?
Part 3 –multiple metaphors and different leadership cultures
Why multiple metaphors?
Explore alternative metaphors and how these change the overall culture – Maggie Thatcher; Tesco; Virgin
Part 4 – introducing the Seven Sides – photographs to lead into explanation = no detailed text
I will provide an example of a change strategy in Eat Lothian referring to the seven sides.
Part 5 – developing a change strategy to suit your circumstances
Think of a task you are currently engaged in at your school.
Use the seven sides to shade in the amount of focus any aspect requires now in order to move it forwards.
Take another seven sides and shade it in assuming that this stage has been successful and you are 12 months on.
Discuss people’s strategies
Part 6 – refine the seven sides of educational leadership – challenge, suggest and discount elements or all of the proposed approach