A reminder that we break today for the February holidays. We hope you have a good break! Please note that Monday 19th February is an In-Service day, so the students resume on Tuesday 20th February.
To view updated plans, please click here: Expansion Page
We would like to wish Mike Scott a fond farewell as he leaves Dunbar Grammar school to take up a substantive Depute Head Teacher role at Musselburgh Grammar School.
S4/5/6 Monitoring & Tracking Reports
These were handed to students on Tuesday 6th February. S4 and S5 students were also given their forms detailing Likely Levels of Study. Please contact your son/daughter’s Guidance Teacher if you have any queries.
Easter Revision classes will be taking place this year from Tuesday 3rd April to Thursday 5th April. A menu of classes available to students sitting examinations this year will be published soon. Places will be limited, so it is important that students sign up as soon as possible.
S4 & S5 Subject Choice Parent/Carers’ Information Evening
Students and their parents/carers have been invited to an interview where they will have the opportunity to ask any final questions and make final selections. Letters with interview times will be sent out after the February break.
Course Choice Booklets for 2018-2019
Full copies of the Course Choice Booklets for 2018-2019 can be read here: Course Choice Information. Printed copies can be requested from the school office.
S5/6 Parent’s Consultation Evening
This is on Tuesday 20th February; letters were issued to students on Monday 5th February.
S3 Course Choice Parent/Carers’ Information
Students and their parents/carers have been invited to an interview where they will have the opportunity to ask any final questions and make final selections. Letters with interview times were handed to all S3 students on Tuesday 6th February.
DGSC (Parent Council) Update
Ten S3 students attended a Modern Languages business brunch at Dynamic Earth last week. They heard about the importance of language learning from a range of speakers, including representatives from the Food and Drink Federation Scotland and Skyscanner, an online holiday booking service. There were also stalls from the NHS, Laing O’Rourke, Apex Hotels and the Royal Air Force. More information on the event can be read here: SCILT Exhibitor Brochure
Safer Internet Day
Tuesday 6th February was ‘Safer Internet Day. Throughout the week students were given the opportunity to participate in a range of Internet Safety activities to mark the event.
Our Internet Safety Ambassadors attended East Linton, Stenton and Dunbar Primary Schools, along with Mrs Addie, Mr Scott, Mrs Slowther and Miss Weir, to deliver a series of activities to primary 7 pupils. Pupils were encouraged to think about the dangers of using the internet and what they should do if they experience bullying online.
In school, S1-3 students participated in a lunchtime activity organised by Miss Stalker. Students were given clues which led them to pieces of code to be decrypted. Registration classes were also competing against each other in an emjoi themed quiz.
A big thank you to Miss Stalker for organising.
School of Rugby Update
Results from last week:
- S2 31 – 7 Stewarts Melville
- The U18 team played a 3 way round robin against North Berwick and Preston Lodge. They played x2 30 min games and showed some great skill and determination against good opposition. They lost out narrowly to North Berwick and after a 30 min break lost out to a strong Preston Lodge side. Credit to the players for the second week in a row had a full squad of players and are improving week on week.
This weekend the S1 team are travelling to North Berwick for a friendly with a 10am KO.
- Oxford and Cambridge Admissions Talk The Universities of Oxford and Cambridge are holding a series of undergraduate admissions talks across Scotland in the week commencing 12th March. These sessions are free to attend and are mainly aimed at S5 students, but can also be helpful for younger years considering Oxford or Cambridge. Our closest venue for us will be: East Lothian – North Berwick High School – Tuesday 13 March, 18:30. To register for a place, please follow the link above. PLEASE LET YOUR GUIDANCE TEACHER KNOW IF YOU BOOK A PLACE.
- Medic Insight Week will be taking place on both the 18th and 25th June 2018. A number of different clinicians and medical student will deliver workshops to give students an insight into life as a medical student and doctor. The event is open to any student in S5. Successful applicants will be selected on the quality of their application and NOT on a first come first serve basis so applicants should take time to consider their answers.
Applications go live for 1 week on Monday 12th February at 09:00. Further information about the content of the week and the application process can be found on our website www.medicinsight.comor on our Facebook page.
If you have any questions please direct them to email@example.com.
PLEASE SPEAK TO YOUR GUIDANCE TEACHER IF YOU INTEND TO APPLY
- Arnold Clark 2018 vacancies are now LIVE. Vacancies will be open until Friday 9th of March. All vacancies can now be found on the website below: https://www.arnoldclark.com/careers/apprenticeships/
- Tuesday 20th – S1 in Hall
- Wednesday 21st – S2 in Hall
- Thursday 22nd – S5/6 in Games Hall
- Friday 23rd – S4 in Hall
There are 2 forms to be completed and handed back to the school office, along with 2 passport photographs and European Health Insurance cards by Thursday 1st March.
Dates for Your Diary
|Break for February holiday||Friday 9th February|
|In-Service||Monday 19th February|
|Students resume||Tuesday 20th February|
|S3 Coursing Interviews||Tues 20th, Wed 21st, Fri 23rd Feb|
|S5/6 Parent/Carer Consultation Evening||Tuesday 20th February|
|Environmental Science Trip – beach transects||Friday 23rd February|
|S4/5 Coursing Interviews||28th Feb – 2nd March|
|East Lothian Youth Summit||Wednesday 7th March|
Please also see Information Sheets for our most up-to-date Information Sheet including updates on lunchtime and after-school clubs and:
- House Points Update
- Dental Insight