A very warm welcome back. In particular, welcome to our new students and staff!
Change to your son/daughter’s Guidance Teacher
Mr Darren Martin has joined the Pupil Support Faculty from 14 August. He has taken over the following classes, as their Guidance Teacher:
- 1C7 (Previously with Mrs Wood)
- 1C8 (Previously with Ms McDonald)
- 2C6 (Previously with Mrs Scott)
- 2C7 (Previously with Mrs Wood)
- 3C7 (Previously with Ms McDonald)
- 5C5 (Previously with Ms McDonald)
This arrangement will be for the 2019/20 session. Mr Martin is looking forward to this new role and will work closely with the other Guidance teachers to ensure continuity of support for all students. Mr Martin can be contacted by email at email@example.com or by calling the school on 01368 863 339. The voicemail messages are in the process of being updated.
New S1 Parent/Carer/Students
Hopefully the first few days went well for all of our students. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact your so/daughter’s Guidance Teacher in the first instance:
- 1C1, 1C4 – Mrs Wood
- 1C2, 1C5 – Ms McDonald
- 1C3, 1C6 – Mrs Scott
- 1C7, 1C8 – Mr Martin
We have the following new members of staff:
- Kenny Beaton, Teacher of PE
- Gillian Carnie, Teacher of PE
- Valerie Chapman, Teacher of Music
- Marie Devillers, Teacher of Biology
- Giuliana Di Rollo, Teacher of Modern Languages
- Katharine Duguid, Teacher of Modern Languages
- Emily Kirkness, Teacher of Chemistry
- Aimee Macdonald, Teacher of Biology
- Calum Mackie, Teacher of English
- Natalie McGhee, Teacher of English
- Morag McEwen, Teacher of Geography
- Emma Reid, Teacher of History
- David Robertson, Teacher of Maths
- David Ross, Teacher of Drama
- Danielle Smith, Teacher of Computing
- Morag Sutherland, Teacher of Art
- Amanda Young, Teacher of Business
At the end of June, we said goodbye to:
- Caitlin Mackenzie, Teacher of PE
- Sarah Rolland, Teacher of Physics
- Lauren Stalker, Teacher of Computing
NIGEL KUHN EVENTS – Monday 19 – Friday 23 August 2019
Nigel Kuhn (conservationist, photographer, filmmaker and adventurer) will be visiting Dunbar Grammar School. Nigel has worked in front-line conservation for more than 6 years in Mali and Zimbabwe, laterally with Chengeta Wildlife Trust – in addition to many other projects. During his week with us, we have a number of exciting events for our pupils and the local community to get involved with! In addition to senior workshops, there will be presentations, Q&A sessions and workshops for pupils from a variety of ages and subject areas.
Community Presentation (all welcome) *not suitable for young children
Monday 19 August – 5.30-6.30pm- DGS school Hub
An opportunity for the Dunbar community and local area to hear about Nigel’s life and work: stories of his travels; discuss his conservation work; sharing photographic and film work.
Pupil Showcase (all welcome)
Friday 23 August -3pm-4pm – DGS school Hub
Join us to celebrate and share the work of our pupils undertaken this week.
More information on Nigel Kuhn:
Parents and Carers: can you help? A large number of DGS library books are overdue or missing. We would very much appreciate it if you would help find them (under beds is a common place to do so!) and hand them in either to the school office or at Dunbar or East Linton Library. Thank you!
DGS Sport Extra Curriculum Clubs
For all info on DGS Sport Extra Curriculum clubs please click on link
Or look on our DGS Sport page on DGS website.
For more details contact our Active School Coordinator Scott Marnoch on firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional In-Service Days
Two additional in-service days have been granted for session 2019/20 as part of the Scottish Negotiating Committee for Teachers’ pay negotiations. The dates for these are: Tuesday 22 October 2019 and Tuesday 7 January 2020. Pupils will not attend school on these dates. All school holidays for session 2019-20 and 2020-21 can be viewed on East Lothian Council’s website.
Dates for Your Diary
|S1-S3 Book Festival Visit||Tues 20 Aug|
|What Girls are Made Of Drama Trip||Tues 20 Aug|
|Battlefields Eve||Tues 27 Aug|
|Awards’ Eve||Wed 11 Sep|
|DGSA Prosecco Afternoon Tea||Sat 2 Nov|
Also, see our latest information sheet for students: Info Sheet
Raising Teens with Confidence Course
Please see : RTWC leaflet DGS sept19
We launched Battlefields 2020 at assembly before the summer break. Information went home with new S3 students:
We are aware that over the summer break many families may be purchasing new uniform. With that in mind, we would like to take the opportunity to remind all students of the uniform policy: School Uniform Description 19-20
We would like to highlight that all footwear, including trainers, should be completely black. The following presentation was given to all students this week during assembly: Uniform Slides – assembly June 2019
Please follow this link to order new uniform: https://www.border-embroideries.co.uk/schools/dunbar-grammar-school.html
Schoolpay is an easy and convenient way of paying for school meals
Medicines Held in School
If your child still requires to have medication in school please complete the appropriate form from the links below and send it in along with the medication:
- Request for school to issue short-term prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue long-term prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue long-term ‘as required’ prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue non-prescribed medication
- Request to school for medication to be carried and self-administered by pupil
PANTOMIME CHORUS AUDITIONS 2019 – CINDERELLA
- Friday 30 August, 1.30-3.30pm at The Brunton, Musselburgh
- Each year a chorus of local performers support The Brunton’s professional pantomime cast. Working in rotation, these groups play a crucial role in the show.
- Successful performers must commit to ALL rehearsals on a Monday and Tuesday from September (times to be confirmed on audition date), October holidays, dress rehearsal dates from w/c November 18th and show dates from 26 November 2019 – 4 January 2020.
- Who can audition? Young people in P4-S4, resident in East Lothian who can sing, dance and act.
- Audition places must be booked on 0131 665 9900 / email@example.com by Thursday 29 August at 4pm, leaving the participant’s name, DOB, address, telephone number and school.