‘How to Pass’ Parent/Carer Information Evening
Thank you so much to all the parents and carers who attended the How to Pass evening on Thursday night. It was lovely to see so many come along and speak to teachers in order to help their pupils succeed in their exams. A big thank you to all the staff who delivered presentations and made the night such a success. Presentations from the evening:
- Art & Design Course Assessment and Award
- How to Pass Art and Design
- Higher Biology
- N5 Biology
- N5/H Chemistry
- Computing Science
- Senior Phase Drama
- Health and Food Technology
- Higher Maths
- National 5 Maths
- Nat 5/Higher Mod Langs
- Modern Studies
- Higher Music
- Nat 5 Music
- PE Exam Preparation
- How to pass Higher Politics
- N5 Physics
- Nat5 Spanish
- Study Skills Booklet
The DYW Working Group are hosting a S3 Careers Awareness Day on Tuesday 26 November 2018 from 9.30 am – 1 pm.
Employers will share their career journey, a typical workday, education requirements, details of the apprenticeships/trainee schemes their organisation offers and more. This is an opportunity for students to speak with someone whose career choice interests them and to explore areas they may not have considered before.
Anthony Nolan Assembly
We have the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service coming to speak to our S5/6 students next Wednesday at assembly about their Anthony Nolan Partnership (More information can be found on the links below).
- Coverage of the anniversary event https://www.firescotland.gov.uk/news-campaigns/news/2019/10/sfrs-anthony-nolan-partnership-ten-year-anniversary.aspx
- Video by young people https://youtu.be/aVo2vVvhUIU
- Twitter story covered by STV https://twitter.com/i/status/1184146405931266049
Hot Chocolate Friday
A group of S1 – S3 students will be invited following nominations from teachers each week to come and have a hot drink with Mrs Slowther or Mr Maxton or Mr Offer.
Whole School Photograph
Order forms are available for collection from the school office.
- S1/2 – Tuesday 10 December – 6:30-9pm.
- S5/6 – Thursday 12 December – 6:30-9:30pm.
- S3/4 – Monday 16 December – 6:30-9:30pm.
Tickets will be on sale, from Monday 25 November, in the social area at breaktimes & lunchtimes. Tickets will NOT be on sale the night of the dances. They must buy the tickets beforehand. Cost £3:50
EMA Applications are now open for Students whose 16th Birthday falls between 1 October 2019 – 29 February 2020. Full details and the application form can be found here: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11902/education_maintenance_allowance
ELC is carrying out a review to find out how well East Lothian children and young people are supported at school. This will help us understand what works well and also what we need to improve.
You can help us by completing an online survey that gives you the opportunity to share your views. Use the web link below to complete the online survey. At the end of the survey you will have the opportunity to leave comments. All responses are anonymous.
The survey must be completed by Friday 21 December.
Prelims Timetable 2020
Prelim information and timetables are being handed out to students over the next couple of days: Prelim Timetable 2020
- All pupils participating in the East and Mid Badminton Tournament on Tuesday 26 November at Meadowmill – please meet in old social space at 08.30.
- For all pupils that were in the Giant Heptathlon team – this event has been cancelled but we have been put forward for the Regional finals in February. Mr Marnoch will give more details to the team nearer the time.
- Congratulations to DGS U16 Rugby team who beat Balfron High School in the Semi Final of the Shield competition on Wednesday. The team will play either Heriots or Hutchesons Grammar School in the Final on Wednesday 4th December at the Oriam.
VE Day Celebrations 2020 – consultation with parents/carers
The UK Government has approved a change to the date of next year’s early May bank holiday from Monday 4 May to Friday 8 May 2020 to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day. Please see the attached letter from Fiona Robertson, the Head of Education and Children’s Services and complete the survey: VE Day celebrations 2020 Consultation with Parent/Carers
Home to School Transport
Please the attached updated information from Transportation: Home to School Transport
Children in Need Baking Competition
Well done to all of the students who took part. The cakes were all fantastic!
There are still a couple of cake tins and plates in M13 (Miss Williams’s room) waiting to be collected. Students – please pop in for them.
Overdue Library Books
Please would you check if you there are any overdue library books lying forgotten at home? The school library currently has overdue books with a value of nearly £4200.00, and we cannot afford to replace them. We’d appreciate it if you would check at home, and also ask your children if they have left books in classrooms. Many thanks for your help with this.
S2 Activities Week 2020
Please note if paying by instalments, that the next payment is due by 2 December.
The next payment instalment for Battlefields is now due.
We still have outstanding PC1s and Annual Data Check forms which are required to be checked by parent/carers, updated as appropriate, signed and returned. Please can they be handed in ASAP.
Home Economics/Hospitality/Health & Food Technology Payments, 2018-19 – Reminder
Please note that some accounts are still outstanding. Please arrange to pay by SchoolPay. Please contact the School Office if help is required.
Home Economics/Hospitality/Health & Food Technology Payments, 2019-20 – Reminder
Please note that some accounts are still outstanding. Please arrange to pay by SchoolPay, either the full amount or by instalment. Please contact the School Office if help is required.
Assemblies next week
- Monday – S1 in Games Hall
- Tuesday – S2 in Games Hall
- Wednesday – S5/6 Assembly hall
- Thursday – S4 in Games Hall
- Friday – S3 in Games Hall
Dates for Your Diary
|S3 DYW Careers Event||Tues 26 Nov|
|DGSC Meeting||Tues 26 Nov|
|PCR Biology Trip||Thurs 28 Nov|
|Hockey Trip||Friday 29 Nov|
|SFL Panto Trip||Tues 3 Dec|
|RMPS High Conference||Thurs 5 Dec|
|S1/2 Christmas Dance||Tues 10 Dec|
|S5/6 Christmas Dance||Thurs 12 Dec|
|S3/4 Christmas Dance||Mon 16 Dec|
|Christmas Concert||Wed 18 Dec|
Also, see our latest information sheet for students: Info Sheet
- EDF is holding an Apprenticeship Information Day for interested applicants – Saturday 23 November, there will be three sessions on each day – 9.30am, 11.00am and 1pm. Spaces are limited and you MUST book. Email: Gillian.Farquhar@edf-energy.com For more information: www.edfenergy.com/apprentices
Change to payments to school – Schoolpay
The school office will be able to help you to sign up if you need assistance, just ask. You can also contact the dedicated On Line Payments team on Tel: 01620 827562 or email firstname.lastname@example.org who will be happy to help you. Please see the attached letter: Letter