Revised School Dates
Following the decision taken by the Full Council at its meeting on 29 October 2019, a consultation exercise was undertaken with parents/carers in relation to an additional day’s leave on 8 May 2020 to coincide with VE Day 75 celebrations. The outcome of this consultation was an overwhelming support for an additional day’s school closure on Friday 8 May 2020 with the retention of the already agreed school holiday closure on Monday 4 May 2020. Approval was sought from Scottish Government for this additional day’s closure and this approval has now been received. For clarity, schools will be closed on Monday 4 May 2020 and on Friday 8 May 2020. The attached were given to all students this morning:
Reminder – Battlefields
S3 students going to Battlefields need to apply for their European Health cards by the end of January.
Prelim Diet 2020
Our prelims are underway.
Current S3, S4 & S5 Subject Choice Parent/Carers’ Information
This is on Tuesday 21 January at 6pm; letters went home with current S3-S5 students this week: Course Choice Info Eve letter. It is an opportunity for students/parents/carers to find out more information regarding the selection of courses for the senior phase. The evening will include some presentations.
Prior to and after this meeting, students will be researching course options and possible pathways and discussing the whole process during PSE classes. We will be inviting students with their parents/carers to a Coursing Interview where they will have the opportunity to ask any final questions and make final selections. Letters regarding the interviews will be given to students next week.
Selection Process Timeline:
- Tuesday 21 January – S3/4/5 Parent/Carers’ Information Evening
- Course Choice Booklets available on our website and Likely Levels of Study issued on 27 January for S3
- Course Choice Booklets available on our website and Likely Levels of Study issued on 7 February for S4 and S5
- Tuesday 18 Feb– Friday 21 Feb – S3 Coursing Interviews
- Thursday 20 & Monday 24 Feb– Senior Parent/Carer Consultation Evening – S4,5,6
- Tuesday 25 Feb– Monday 2 March – S4/5 Coursing Interviews
S2 to S3 Curriculum Evening
Parents and carers of S2 students are invited to a parents’ information evening on Thursday 23 January at 6.00pm regarding subject choices for session 2020-2021. Letters were given to S2 students on Thursday 16 January: S2 into S3 Course Choice Info Eve letter
S3 Parent/Carers’ Consultation Evening
Letters were given to S3 students today regarding the S3 Parent/Carers Consultation evening on Tuesday 28 January: S3 Parents’ Eve
S2 Activities Week 2020
Please note if paying by instalments, that the next payment is now due.
Assemblies next week – House Assemblies
- Monday – Castle in Games Hall
- Tuesday – Winterfield in Games Hall
- Wednesday –Lauderdale in Games Hall
- Thursday – Cromwell in Games Hall
- Friday – Victoria in Games Hall
Annual Science Department Quiz Night – Friday 31 January 7pm
It’s back! Join us at the Royal British Legion in Dunbar for fun, games, raffle, and of course, the best quiz in town. Tickets are just £3 each and are available from the school office. We are looking for teams of up to 6, age 18+. This event has been a sell-out for the last 2 years so get your team together and buy your tickets now! The quiz is general knowledge – not just Science! All proceeds to support Science education at Dunbar Grammar School. From the Science Department.
Dates for Your Diary
|Prelims||until Thurs 23 Jan|
|Primary STEM afternoon||Wed 22, Thurs 23 Jan|
|Senior Phase parent/carer Information Eve – S3/4/5||Tues 21 Jan|
|S2 to S3 Curriculum Eve||Thurs 23 Jan|
|Course Choice Booklets available on our website and Likely Levels of Study issued- S3||Mon 27 Jan|
|Torness Trip||Tues 28 Jan|
|S3 Parent/Carers Consultation Eve||Tues 28 Jan|
|DGSC meeting||Thurs 30 Jan|
|Course Choice Booklets available on our website and Likely Levels of Study issued – S4/5||Fri 7 Feb|
|Finish for February break||Fri 7 Feb|
|In-service||Mon 17 Feb|
|Students resume||Tues 18 Feb|
|S3 Coursing Interviews||Tues 18 Feb– Fri 21 Feb|
|Senior Parent/Carer Consultation Evening – S4,5,6||Thurs 20 & Mon 24 Feb|
|S4/5 Coursing Interviews||Tues 25 Feb– Mon 2 March|
Also, see our latest information sheet for students: Info Sheet
Other information and opportunities:
- Apprenticeship Opportunity
- Student volunteer opportunity – ELSNP
- The Sutton Trust Summer School at the University of St Andrews is held each year in order to give pupils in S5 the chance to experience a week in the life of a university student. Please see link: Sutton Trust Summer School 2020
- Online Safety Event
- S3-6 students who could benefit from a challenge/residential experience in the Scottish mountain wonderland this winter, see https://www.edubuzz.org/eloes/2019/12/12/winter-adventure-residential-weekends-in-the-cairngorms/ Parents can book on directly at www.eastlothian.gov.uk/outdoorlearningbookings
- Venturing Out Activities Feb 2020
- 5k Fundraising Run
What is Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA)?
This is a week’s long residential incorporating outdoor skills and leadership development. This is paid for by the Rotary Club in Dunbar. This is open to S5 students who will be aged 15-17 in July.
It also counts as a residential for the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award.
The dates are below:
- Boys’ Week: Saturday 18-25 July
- Girls’ Week: Saturday 11-18 July
If you would like to put your name forward or if you would like more information, please see Miss Williams by Monday 27 January.
There will be a short interview with one of the Rotary representatives after this date.
If your son/daughter is absent from school, please send a message detailing the reason for absence and anticipated date of return to 07860 049 053.
You can still contact us by telephone or email if you prefer.
Payments to the School – Schoolpay
A reminder that payments are cashless for regular payments. Parents and carers should sign up to SchoolPay. The school office will be able to help you to sign up, if you need assistance, just ask. You can also contact the dedicated On Line Payments team on Tel: 01620 827562 or email email@example.com who will be happy to help you. Please see the attached letter: Letter