A reminder that Monday 24th and Tuesday 25th are In-Service days, with students resuming on Wednesday 26th May 2021
This week, life outside school, is starting to feel different and I know that staff and students alike are looking forward to being able to enjoy slightly more freedoms. Whilst the relaxation of East Lothian moving to Level 2 is welcomed, I would like to urge all in our school community that we should continue to apply caution. Scottish Government Guidance released this week has stressed that within school, it is extremely important that we stringently maintain mitigations. Therefore all mitigations including the wearing of face coverings, sanitising and our one way system will remain in place.
It continues to be of paramount importance that parents and carers notify us of any potential positive cases immediately.
The Scottish Government would like your help to improve the schools asymptomatic testing programme. Parents and carers have been emailed a short survey for completion please.
We are now well over half way through the assessment window. Many students will have completed all assessments by Friday 28th May. We have protected the week beginning the 31st May for students to catch up on any assessments which they have missed due to absence or have had rescheduled.
From Monday 31st May, until the timetable changes on 14th June, S4/5 students will remain in their current timetabled classes but will be able to start some preparatory work for their courses for next year via Google classroom.
S6 students and S4/5 who are leaving school will be able to complete a leavers form after their last assessment. They will not need to attend school after their final assessment. I hope to be able to communicate plans shortly about the arrangements for S6 students regarding their last official day, Friday 4th June.
If you have any matters around assessments which they would like to discuss or require any advice or support, they should not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Duke of Edinburgh Award at DGS
As restrictions start to ease (all being well) we are aiming to get the Duke of Edinburgh Award back up and running at DGS. We intend to form groups before the summer and are aiming (restrictions permitting) to run expeditions in October 2021.
We aim to start the following groups in June for the 2021/22 academic year-
- S3 pupils (going into S4) – Bronze award groups (2 groups – 14 pupils total). These pupils will be able to complete Bronze during their S4 year and will have the opportunity to progress to completing their Gold award in their S5 and S6 years.
- S4 pupils (going into S5) – Gold award groups (2 groups – 14 pupils total). These pupils will be able to do “direct entry” into Gold and complete it over their S5/S6 years.
As in previous years, there will be a selection process as we can only take limited numbers at this stage. Further details will follow.
Any questions regarding DofE please get in contact with Mr Martin.
Change of Timetable
East Lothian Council has confirmed that the school will change timetable on Monday 14 June 2021.
Provision for Senior Phase Learners from e-Sgoil
- e-Sgoil – Supporting Senior Phase Learners April 21
- Senior Phase Subject Drop-In Timetable – May 2021
Senior Phase Assessments
A copy of the senior phase assessment timetable can be found here.
Stars of the Week
The winners for this week are below:
Julian King Technologies (SUPPORT)
Student nomination said;
- ‘He is a very hard working teacher he has taught us all very well about drawing :)’
- ‘He’s by far the best teacher. I changed courses just to be in his class’
- ‘Mr King is a very respectful teacher. He respects me and my other classmates very much.’
- ‘Nominated him last time, and will continue to do so until he is a STAR staff winner.’
- ‘he is well good’ (This was inputted 5 times, so the student clearly feels strongly!)
Lynda Kazimoglu Art (SUPPORT and EFFORT)
Student nominations said;
- ‘Mrs K is amazing, she is so kind and will help you with anything and she always comes into school with a smile on her face! thank you Mrs K, you are an amazing Regi teacher :)’
- ‘she is so lovely and a really good teacher’
Staff nominations said
- ‘Mrs K and Mrs Cairns went to a lot of extra effort this week – in their own time outside of business hours – to help me with a piece of written work. This is just one thing they have done, amongst countless others, to help me as a new member of staff within the art department.’
- ‘Lynda has an incredible work ethic which sees her constantly bringing to life new ideas and opportunities to engage and excite pupils; allowing them to enjoy, explore and achieve in Art. She is a great motivator and has kept her colleagues in high spirits with her quick wit and funny stories.’
Anna Craig S2 (Effort and Respect)
Anna has 2 nominations!
- ‘Anna is a really hard worker and engages fully in every lesson. She is pleasant, polite and I really enjoying working with her. ‘
- ‘She is really hardworking and completes all her class work to the best of the ability, but also goes out of her way to help her peers and is really patient and understanding!’
Well done Anna, you are truly a star!
David Campbell S1 (Effort)
- David always puts 100% into whatever he is doing in class, showing amazing focus and dedication to succeed. He is patient and supportive of peers and always stays behind to help tidy the classroom despite it being the end of the day. A true young gent full of potential. You are truly a star David!
S1 and S2 Parents / Carers
We have some instrumental lessons available for our young people interested in playing a musical instrument. For further information please read the attached documents which provide details about the East Lothian Instrumental Music Service at Dunbar Grammar School:
Mrs Cairns, PT Expressive Arts.
- Online Testing Consent Form (google.com)
- Testing Consent Form – for printing
- Asymptomatic community testing in East Lothian | Asymptomatic community testing in East Lothian | East Lothian Council
Other Information / Opportunities
- Recruitment morning poster – Nursery May 2021
- Job Vacancy – Modern Apprenticeship Dunbar Childcare
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/