A reminder that we finish for the October break on Friday 15 October, and students resume on Tuesday 26 October 2021
Friday 15 October is a dress down day and if students would like to dress down, please can they bring £1 to registration. The money collected will go to MND – Doddie’s Foundation and Teenage Cancer Trust.
Documents home this week:
Welcome to Mx Ali Norman, Teacher of English, who started with us this week.
Mathematics Information Evenings
Please see the following information from the Mathematics evenings this week:
- S1-S2 Parents Info Evening
- S3 Parents Info Evening
- S4 National 5 Information Evening
- S5-6 N5 Parents Info Evening
- Higher Information Evening
S1 Parents and Carers Consultation Event
There will be a parents and carers consultation evening for S1 on Tuesday 26 October. The letter with full details on how to book appointments will be emailed out separately.
S3 Tracking Reports
These will go home with S3 students next week.
House Captains 2021-2022
Congratulations to our House Captains and Vice-Captains for this session:
|Captain||Maya Gent||Kitty Bird||Jake Douther||Kirsten Irwin||Amy McHardy|
|Captain||Alastair Zochowski||Millie Wood||Jack Clark||Sasha Sands|
|Vice Captain||Eve Allen||Sam Russell||Heidi Henderson||Alex Taylor||Ruby Brady|
|Vice Captain||Chynna Fletcher||Abigail Arthur||Rebecca Peachy||Melissa Rodgers|
We are trialling a ‘grab and go’ free small breakfast (slice of toast and orange juice) from the hatch outside G20 (by The Hub) each morning next week from 8.15 – 8.25am. All students are welcome, please use the student entrance at The Atrium.
Stars of the Week
Ms Kerr (Drama)
- ‘She’s the best. she’s enthusiastic, she’s funny and just an amazing person xx.’
- ‘Because with my class everyone was being really noisy, but she tried really hard to make everyone feel included and she stopped everyone talking and then we had a very good lesson.’
- ‘Classes with her are always fun and she really helped through exams with how to answer different past paper questions along with helping out in rehearsals :)’
- ‘She is always really kind and her lessons are so much fun. She respects everyone and includes everyone. she totally deserves it!’
Ms Kerr– you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
The second staff STAR last week was
Ms Shanks (Biology)
Student nominations said
- ‘Miss Shanks is a brilliant teacher and is really good at explaining things.’
- ‘She is a really good teacher and doesn’t make me feel inferior.’
- ‘Mrs Shanks was great at preparing us for our exams and always kept a smile on faces’
- ‘She helped me do really well in my Nat 5 Biology and I could not have done it without her’
Ms Shanks – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Angus Williams S6 (Support)
Angus has taken to the role of S6 Literacy Ambassador with such ease! He has formed great relationships with our younger students in a short amount of time, and is continually supportive and helpful. Students are really benefiting from having a patient, caring role-model like Angus in the class. Well done Angus, you are a STAR!
Jay Murray S2 (Effort)
Jay has made an enormous effort recently in Maths, extending his knowledge and ability in algebra far beyond what I would expect of a second year student. Of particular note is his resilience in being motivated and encouraged when something did not work and his determination to discover and understand. Jay, you are a STAR!
Active Schools Update
Dunbar Junior Hockey Club offers children from Primary 1 to under 16 an introduction to field hockey and beyond. We are open to players of all abilities and provide coaching on basic and advanced skills and the opportunity to play competitively against other junior hockey teams in East Lothian and beyond. We have strong links with Dunbar Grammar and Dunbar Primary schools and also Scottish Hockey which has seen some of our players train with both East Lothian teams and East District.
- Training for Under 8, Under 10, Under 12 – 5.55pm to 6.55 pm on a Thursday at Hallhill 2G pitch
- Training for Under 14 and Under 16 – 7.25 to 8.25pm on a Tuesday at Hallhill 2G pitch
Costs for the season are:-
- Under 8 – £50
- Under 10 – £60
- Under 12 – £100
- Under 14 – £100
- Under 16 – £100
Please contact Dunbarjuniors@gmail.com for further info.
COVID19 vaccines for 12-15 year olds will not be delivered via schools. The link below gives locations for drop-ins, including at the Fort this weekend:
More information can be read here: www.nhsinform.scot/covid19vaccineyoungpeople
Study Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
Information – Update
A pack is going home with students over the next few weeks containing a PC1 and an Annual Data Check form which is required to be checked by parent/carers, updated as appropriate, signed and returned. Emergency closure letters are also being emailed home.
If you have no email address, it is essential that you inform the school. Where this is the case, the weekly email information is automatically updated on our website. Students have been completing photo permission forms.
Other Information / Opportunities
- School Flu Vaccine Programme Parent FAQs
- 21-10-05 Information Sheet
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants | Free school meals and clothing grants | East Lothian Council
- Vacancy Newsletter – 08102021
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Venturing Out CIC – October Holiday Activities!
Get the kids outdoors and adventuring this October Holidays with Venturing Out!
Venturing Out are running October Holiday Activities for children aged 8 to 14. All activities take place in East Lothian and include activities such as Bushcraft, Trail Cycling, Water Activities, Mini Expedition and Rock Climbing. Full information on all holiday activities can be found here: Outdoor activity camps for kids East Lothian and Edinburgh — Venturing Out
For further information, you can email email@example.com
Join the COP26 Local Champions Network
Young Scot Hive (#YSHive) are looking for young people from across Scotland aged 11-25, to be part of the COP26 Climate Co-Design Group as Local Champions. Please see the attached: COP26 Local Champions Network
We have an “Attendance” inbox for parents to email with student absences/appointments. Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org