Please note that we have been experiencing problems with our telephones. If they are not working, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries
Senior Tracking Reports
These will be handed to S4-S6 students next week.
Please see the following link to watch the 2021 DGS Awards’ Event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxLcrIhj55Y
S6 Summer Leavers Awards
We can confirm that we will be holding National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher Prelims in January. These will begin after Monday 10 January. We are currently planning our timetable for these assessments, these will be shared with students and parents and carers in December. This is to ensure that our the specific details of our assessment plan is compliant with the most up to date Scottish Government covid guidance for schools. If you have any questions around this, please contact Mr McBride.
‘How to Pass’ Parent Information Evening – 17 November 2021, 6-8pm
In order to support pupil learning and success in their prelims and SQA exams, Dunbar Grammar School is holding an information evening for all parents and carers of students sitting National 5s and Higher qualifications in May 2022.
The evening will happen online and is intended to inform parents and carers of S4/5/6 students about the courses their children are studying, the assessments, course materials, timelines, and how they can help their child to achieve their potential in their exams. More specifically, this will include a subject specific focus on strategies and techniques that students can utilise to develop their learning at home.
Further information will be provided next week regarding the format for the evening.
S4 Study Skills
S4 classes will be working on Study Skills during PSE classes next week. Topics will include effective study strategies, revision timetables and preparing for prelims and exams.
LGBT+ Survey for At Home Adults
Inclusion is are core value here at DGS and as part of a joint East Lothian council, Scottish Government and Youth Scotland LGBT+ initiative, we are moving towards being accredited with LGBT+ Charter status. Therefore, we would like to ask you a few standard questions about your understanding of LBGT+ support and activities in our school community.
Please complete the following survey: https://forms.gle/JySdreHbtsxfDXmt5The
Scottish Government Covid Update
The latest Scottish Government Update advised that all current mitigations in schools (including face coverings) will remain in place, for more information: COVID-19 safety in schools – gov.scot (www.gov.scot)
Scotland’s Biggest Parents’ Event 2021
Scotland’s Biggest Parents’ Event is hosted by DYW and features a range of employers from across Scotland. This is a great opportunity for parents/carers and young people to find information about different career options and next steps. The Parents’ Evening will be on Monday 15 November at 7 pm.
Parents are able to book by using the following link and clicking on the booking tab. Scotland’s Biggest Parents’ Events – DYW – Scotland
Schools Asymptomatic Testing Programme
- Students over the age of 12 can sign up themselves and those under 12 require parental consent. If any student would like to sign up, but has not already done so should complete the form: online consent form
- The link for recording results is here: https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result
- Going to School – COVID 19 – Oct 2021 Toolkit
- The Parent Club webpage on testing is here: COVID-19 testing for staff and pupils | Parent Club.
We have a large amount of lost property at present. Students who have lost items of clothing should come to the school office, as left items will be recycled at Christmas.
Stars of the Week
Ms Young (Business)
- ‘Because she understands a lot and will ask ways listen to you’
- ‘Always helps with all work and making sure you are prepared’
- ‘She is very supportive and is a really kind teacher she makes us all laugh and I like her lessons’
- ‘She is really good at explaining things and she never makes any mistakes and she is really wonderful.’
Ms Young – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Dr Astbury (Geography)
- ‘Miss Astbury always puts so much effort into everything she does and is always very enthusiastic about the tasks at hand. As well as putting 110% into all she does she is just genuinely a kind and caring person and totally deserves recognition for that (And she’s doing very well for a first year teacher too!).’
- ‘Dr Astbury is always respectful and her lessons are fun. She works really hard’
- ‘She is one of the kindest teachers that really stands out to me’
Dr Astbury– you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Ruby Brady S4 (Effort)
- Ruby gives her all in every lesson and goes above and beyond outside of class too: always making sure she comes and sees me to catch up with any work missed or if she didn’t understand something in class. She is well deserving of a star of the week award for her hard work and effort! Ruby you are a STAR!
The second student STAR will be announced next week.
Breakfast Cub is on each morning from 8.15 – 8.25am. All students are welcome, please use the student entrance at The Atrium.
- COVID19 vaccines for 12-15 year olds will not be delivered via schools. The link below gives locations for drop-ins:
- More information can be read here: www.nhsinform.scot/covid19vaccineyoungpeople
Study Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
Other Information / Opportunities
- FMS Vacancy advert 21 10 21
- The Moment and COP26! A day of child and youth-led climate surgeries with elected representatives!
- School Flu Vaccine Programme Parent FAQs
- 21-10-26 Information Sheet
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants | Free school meals and clothing grants | East Lothian Council
- Vacancy Newsletter – 29102021
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Scottish Youth Climate Summit Registration
- Date: Saturday 30th October, 9:30 – 17:00 (however you can hop in and out of events throughout the day depending on your availability)
- Register here: www.hopin.com/events/scottish-climate-youth-summit
- @KSBScotland @YouthLinkScot @YoungScot
Meetings are 7pm – 8.30pm on Google Meet.
Meetings are run by the Parent Council and attended by Mrs Slowther, a Depute Head Teacher, a Teacher representative and the Senior Student Leaders.
At each meeting we also invite a Principal Teacher to come along and share information about both their Faculty and area of whole school responsibility, and have an additional general topic for discussion.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend.
|Date||Principal Teacher presentation
|Additional presentation and discussion topic|
|Wed 6th Oct 2021
|Additional support needs / Pandemic recovery plan|
|Thurs 11th Nov 2021
|Approaches to closing academic attainment gaps|
|Tues 14th Dec 2021
|Broad General Education (BGE) curriculum review|
|Wed 12th Jan 2022
|Suzanne Hamilton (Social Subjects)||Approaches to developing confidence and wider skills|
|Thurs 10th Feb 2022
|Promoting respect – positive relationships|
|Wed 9th Mar 2022
|Support and challenge in teaching and learning|
|Wed 6th Apr 2022
|Equality, Diversity and Inclusion|
|Thurs 5th May 2022
(Health and Wellbeing)
|ELC Anti-Bullying policy|
|Wed 8th June 2022
|Elaine Taylor (Technologies)||Teacher cover provision|
We have an “Attendance” inbox for parents to email with student absences/appointments. Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org