Please note that we have been experiencing problems with our telephones. If they are not working, please email email@example.com with any queries
How To Pass letter and links: How to pass letter 2021
Children in Need
On Friday 19 November we will be fund-raising for Children in Need. We are holding various events, including dress down for £1 and “Gunge-a-Teacher”.
‘How to Pass’ Parent Information Evening – 17 November 2021, 6-8pm
In order to support pupil learning and success in their prelims and SQA exams, Dunbar Grammar School is holding an information evening for all parents and carers of students sitting National 5s and Higher qualifications in May 2022.
Please see the letter for more information: How to Pass Letter
The links for each subject will be emailed out to parents and carers on Monday.
Scotland’s Biggest Parents’ Event 2021
Scotland’s Biggest Parents’ Event is hosted by DYW and features a range of employers from across Scotland. This is a great opportunity for parents/carers and young people to find information about different career options and next steps. The Parents’ Evening will be on Monday 15 November at 7 pm.
Parents are able to book by using the following link and clicking on the booking tab. Scotland’s Biggest Parents’ Events – DYW – Scotland
We are currently planning our timetable for these assessments, these will be shared with students and parents and carers in December.
The following PowerPoint was shown to students in assembly this week: Prelims 2022 Jan 10th
If you have any questions around this, please contact Mr McBride.
NHS vaccination team advise that “mop-up” clinics will operate across NHS Lothian area for children who have not had their Flu vaccination in school.
If any child has missed this vaccination in school, then parents can contact the Community vaccination team on 0131 446 4082 to arrange a clinic appointment.
Stars of the Week
Mr Winhall (Physics)
- ‘He helped me pass my science test and is a very good teacher’
- ‘He’s always welcoming and helpful in Registration’
- ‘He is very good and nice great teacher lots of thumbs up’
- ‘He’s a very kind and inconclusive and considerate man’
- ‘he tries hard in lessons and is funny’
Mr Winhall – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
The second staff star will be announced on Monday
Elliot Hay S1 (Effort)
Elliot made sure his voice was heard by taking to the streets of Glasgow for the COP26 climate strike last Friday. He learned a lot about taking positive action and expressing his opinion in the form of demonstrating and thoroughly enjoyed the day. He has made his Modern Studies teacher Ms White very proud by showing such committed activism at such an early age! Elliot, you are a STAR!
Ellis Love S4 (Effort)
Ellis has had such a proactive start to the year in Physics. She works so well in class and always asks for help when she is unsure. She took the initiative to email me and organise a time to come in to speak about something she wasn’t sure about. I know for a fact that she will keep up this level of maturity for the rest of the year and I really enjoy teaching her. Well done, Ellis, you are a STAR!
- COVID19 vaccines for 12-15 year olds will not be delivered via schools. The link below gives locations for drop-ins:
- More information can be read here: www.nhsinform.scot/covid19vaccineyoungpeople
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
- DGS Extra-Curricular Clubs – Google Docs
Other Information / Opportunities
- Lost Property – we have a large amount of lost property at present. Students who have lost items of clothing should come to the school office, as left items will be recycled at Christmas.
- 21-11-09 Information Sheet
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants | Free school meals and clothing grants | East Lothian Council
- Vacancy Newsletter – 12112021
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Schools Asymptomatic Testing Programme
- Students over the age of 12 can sign up themselves and those under 12 require parental consent. If any student would like to sign up, but has not already done so should complete the form: online consent form
- The link for recording results is here: https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result
- Going to School – COVID 19 – Oct 2021 Toolkit
- The Parent Club webpage on testing is here: COVID-19 testing for staff and pupils | Parent Club.
- Public consultation on our draft attendance policy: Included, Engaged and Involved. A Positive Approach to Promoting Attendance School Attendance can be made via the East Lothian Council consultation hub: https://eastlothianconsultations.co.uk/education/new-school-attendance-policy/
- Consultation closes on 16 November 2021.
Meetings are 7pm – 8.30pm on Google Meet.
Meetings are run by the Parent Council and attended by Mrs Slowther, a Depute Head Teacher, a Teacher representative and the Senior Student Leaders.
At each meeting we also invite a Principal Teacher to come along and share information about both their Faculty and area of whole school responsibility, and have an additional general topic for discussion.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend.
|Date||Principal Teacher presentation||Additional presentation and discussion topic|
|Tues 14th Dec 2021||Emma Claus
|Broad General Education (BGE) curriculum review|
|Wed 12th Jan 2022
|Suzanne Hamilton (Social Subjects)||Approaches to developing confidence and wider skills|
|Thurs 10th Feb 2022
|Promoting respect – positive relationships|
|Wed 9th Mar 2022||Clair Fruish
|Support and challenge in teaching and learning|
|Wed 6th Apr 2022||Ian Davies
|Equality, Diversity and Inclusion|
|Thurs 5th May 2022||Paul Sutherland
(Health and Wellbeing)
|ELC Anti-Bullying policy|
|Wed 8th June 2022||Elaine Taylor (Technologies)||Teacher cover provision|
We have an “Attendance” inbox for parents to email with student absences/appointments. Please email with a return date, or email each day: email@example.com