Please note that we have been experiencing problems with our telephones. If they are not working, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries
Letters out this week:
Children in Need
Our total raised so far is over £2,000! Well done to everyone involved!
S1/2 Progress Reports
These will be handed to S1 and S2 students next week.
Countdown to Christmas
Please find our Countdown to Christmas with details of what is on over the next three and a bit weeks: Countdown to Christmas 2021
The school session dates up to 2024-2025 on our Parental Information page: Parental Information | Dunbar Grammar School (edubuzz.org)
ELTI Free Tutoring for Senior Phase Students
The ELTI Tutoring Initiative was set up in 2020 as an emergency intervention to provide support for pupils who were adversely affected by the Covid-19 restrictions.
Pupils who meet the criteria will be assigned to a tutor and receive one-on-one tuition once a week for 10 weeks after the Christmas holidays.
ELTI Selection Criteria
- Pupils who receive Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
- Pupils who receive free school meals
- Pupils who are young carers
- Pupils who have spent time in care or are estranged
To be eligible for tutoring, pupils must fit one of these criteria.
To take part, pupils should complete the Google Form sent via Edubuzz email today (26/11). Please note that spaces are limited.
For any queries please contact Kaela Mitchell through the school admin address – email@example.com
Stars of the Week
Ms Ashkanani (Modern Studies)
- ‘She is always really kind. She always asks us how we are and if we have had a nice weekend. She lets us play games and we always have lots of fun with her.’
- ‘Ms Ashkanani is a really kind and caring person and teacher that is lovely to everyone’
- ‘She is really kind and caring and she always makes us feel welcome when we come to Registration. She is definitely someone that I would go to if I needed help or support.’
- ‘She is a lovely person to be around and always has a smile on her face. She makes you feel happy, even if you don’t feel too great. When you come in her door in the morning, you can feel her joy. DGS is lucky to have Ms Ashkanani’
- ‘Miss Ashkanani is a lovely member of staff and is an amazing registration teacher. She lets me and my other friends play Uno sometimes before first period as well.’
- ‘She is a kind person and always helps us when we need help. She always asks us how we are and makes us feel like if needed help we have someone to speak to.’
- ‘She is my registration teacher and every morning she goes round and asks everyone individually how they are doing and on Fridays she does a Kahoot and she always makes such an effort to talk to each one of us and make us feel special’
Ms Ashkanani – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Ms McLuckie (Pupil Support)
- ‘Kirsty has helped me so much! She has been there for me when I need help and is very caring towards students.’
- ‘She is a legend’
- ‘Every Wednesday, they both take the time in their day to deliver scrumptious meals to our older friends in the community, and help others get involved as well.’
- ‘She is great fun and really helps me. She is caring and is always understanding’
Ms McLuckie – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Teagan Daley S3 (Effort)
Having only known Teagan for a few months now, I am blown away at how mature and responsible she is for an S3. She is brilliantly open and honest. I admire when she speaks up if something is a challenge for her. I have also seen her excel at these same tasks when she has taken the plunge and given them a try!! She is one of our breakfast club stars and has been such a quick learner that I can trust her to take on any of the roles as needed. Thank you so much Teagan, you are a STAR.
Ewan Mackay S5 (Effort)
Ewan has made fantastic progress in Maths due to his dedication and mature attitude. He has faced any issues head on, and has sought extra guidance to give himself the best chance to achieve his target grade. This is in addition to attending after school sessions and the excellent work he is completing in lessons. I am really impressed. Ewan, you are a STAR!
Santa’s Snacks Appeal 2021
Dunbar Grammar School & connected communities
are organising a collection of Santa’s snacks for people in our community. All donations welcome please. Please see the attached for more information: Santa’s Snacks Appeal 2l
Teenage Booster and Meningitis ACWY Vaccinations
- Vaccination consent packs will be given to pupils in S3 and S4 next week. Packs are also sent out for older pupils who have not yet received their vaccinations.
- The Teenage Boosters Programme was cancelled in 2021 due to school closures, and we will be offering in 2022 to all pupils who missed out on an offer last year.
- Every year, pupils in S3 are offered the Teenage Booster to complete their lifelong protection, through Routine immunisations against Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio. Older pupils who have not yet taken up the offer are also offered an opportunity to come forward for vaccination.
- In addition to the Teenage Booster vaccination, all S3 pupils are recommended a Meningitis ACWY This protects against several strains of meningitis. The offer is also made to older pupils who are not immunised.
- Please read the letter in the consent pack, discuss the vaccinations with your child and return completed and signed consent forms to school by 6 December 2021.
- See NHS Inform for more information on vaccines for young people (available in various languages and formats) and young people, immunisations and consent for teenagers.
- See You Tube Public Health Scotland video on consent
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
- DGS Extra-Curricular Clubs – Google Docs
Other Information / Opportunities
- Lost Property – we have a large amount of lost property at present. Students who have lost items of clothing should come to the school office, as left items will be recycled at Christmas.
- 21-11-23 Information Sheet
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants | Free school meals and clothing grants | East Lothian Council
- Vacancy Newsletter – 22112021
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Schools Asymptomatic Testing Programme
- Students over the age of 12 can sign up themselves and those under 12 require parental consent. If any student would like to sign up, but has not already done so should complete the form: online consent form
- The link for recording results is here: https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result
- Going to School – COVID 19 – Oct 2021 Toolkit
- The Parent Club webpage on testing is here: COVID-19 testing for staff and pupils | Parent Club.
Meetings are 7pm – 8.30pm on Google Meet.
Meetings are run by the Parent Council and attended by Mrs Slowther, a Depute Head Teacher, a Teacher representative and the Senior Student Leaders.
At each meeting we also invite a Principal Teacher to come along and share information about both their Faculty and area of whole school responsibility, and have an additional general topic for discussion.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend.
|Date||Principal Teacher presentation||Additional presentation and discussion topic|
|Tues 14th Dec 2021||Emma Claus
|Broad General Education (BGE) curriculum review|
|Wed 12th Jan 2022
|Suzanne Hamilton (Social Subjects)||Approaches to developing confidence and wider skills|
|Thurs 10th Feb 2022
|Promoting respect – positive relationships|
|Wed 9th Mar 2022||Clair Fruish
|Support and challenge in teaching and learning|
|Wed 6th Apr 2022||Ian Davies
|Equality, Diversity and Inclusion|
|Thurs 5th May 2022||Paul Sutherland
(Health and Wellbeing)
|ELC Anti-Bullying policy|
|Wed 8th June 2022||Elaine Taylor (Technologies)||Teacher cover provision|
How To Pass Evening
Please see the following presentations from the How To Pass Evening:
- Art & Design – Nat5/Higher
- Business Management
- Chemistry – Nat 5/Higher
- Early Learning & Childcare
- English – Nat 5
- English – Higher
- Environmental Science – Nat 5
- Geography – Nat 5/Higher
- Media – Nat 5
- Mod Languages – Higher
- Modern Studies – Nat 5
- Music Technology – Nat 5/Higher
- Photography – Higher
- PE – Higher
- Physics – Nat 5/Higher
- RMPS Nat 5
- COVID19 vaccines for 12-15 year olds will not be delivered via schools. The link below gives locations for drop-ins:
- More information can be read here: www.nhsinform.scot/covid19vaccineyoungpeople
- NHS vaccination team advise that “mop-up” clinics will operate across NHS Lothian area for children who have not had their Flu vaccination in school. If any child has missed this vaccination in school, then parents can contact the Community vaccination team on 0131 446 4082 to arrange a clinic appointment.
Consultation to Scottish Government on The Period Products (Free Provision) (Scotland) Act 2021
Consultation will end on 14th January 2022
We have an “Attendance” inbox for parents to email with student absences/appointments. Please email with a return date, or email each day: email@example.com
We would just like to remind all parents and carers that to contact a member of staff, emails should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We would ask that parents and carers do not send emails to staff EduBuzz accounts.