Please note that we have been experiencing problems with our telephones. If they are not working, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries
Letters/information out this week:
- Senior Prelims Updated – Pupil Booklet and Timetable
- Letter 13-12-21
- Privacy Notice
- Testing information poster
- Letter Parent carers – 10-12-21
- S1/2 Progress Reports
- Teenage Booster and Meningitis ACWY Vaccinations consent forms
Update from NHS Lothian Health Protection Team
As you may be aware from the news, a more precautionary approach is currently being taken for the new variant of COVID-19 ‘Omicron’, until more information is gathered about this variant. Therefore, this may mean a change in the way that the ‘close contacts’ of people who test positive for the new variant are identified, and what advice is given to them. Please pay attention to any updates from the school, and check the NHS inform website (https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19/test-and-protect/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-infection) for more information.
From today, social dancing in PE lessons will be stopping. All students should ensure they bring warm PE kit, as next week most lessons will be outside.
Due to staffing shortages The Hub will be closed next week.
Students are not permitted to bring E scooters to school. These are not legal on the roads or pavements https://www.scotland.police.uk/what-s-happening/news/2020/december/looking-to-purchase-an-e-scooter-this-christmas/
Meetings are 7pm – 8.30pm on Google Meet. The next one is on Tuesday 14th December.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend.
|Date||Principal Teacher presentation||Additional presentation and discussion topic|
|Thurs 13th Jan 2022
|Suzanne Hamilton (Social Subjects)||Approaches to developing confidence and wider skills|
|Thurs 10th Feb 2022
|Promoting respect – positive relationships|
|Wed 9th Mar 2022||Clair Fruish
|Support and challenge in teaching and learning|
|Wed 6th Apr 2022||Ian Davies
|Equality, Diversity and Inclusion|
|Thurs 5th May 2022||Paul Sutherland
(Health and Wellbeing)
|ELC Anti-Bullying policy|
|Wed 8th June 2022||Elaine Taylor (Technologies)||Teacher cover provision|
Stars of the Week
Tim Cooper (History)
- ‘He always make sure you understand the work and will take the time to explain it’
- ‘I love this teacher he is super nice and makes learning very fun.’
- ‘Mr Cooper really puts in a lot of effort into making sure everyone understands what we are learning about’
Dr Cooper – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Karen Robertson (Biology)
- ‘Miss Robertson is always so welcoming when we go into the classroom, she always has a fun and interesting starter to get us going. She makes science a VERY fun subject. She definitely deserves to be nominated :)’
- ‘I had Miss Robertson for biology for 10 weeks but throughout the 10 weeks Miss Robertson support for everyone in the class was fantastic, she is just a wonderful teacher to have’
Miss Robertson– you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Chynna Fletcher S6 (Effort)
- Chynna has been a pleasure to work with this year as Castle Vice House Captain. She is so on the ball with organisation and has wonderful ideas for different house events. She recently updated the Castle board with a new Christmas theme and it looks fab. I am going to miss seeing Chynna around the school as she moves on to her next chapter after Christmas, but I know she will make a fantastic nursery school teacher. Good luck in the future months Chynna, and don’t be a stranger when you pop back for exams!
DJ Lorimer S1 (Effort)
- DJ was an incredible help in pupil support making peppermint slices for our older friends. He’s a chef in the making and was able to instruct our other helpers too. I’d have been lost without him. He is such a kind and caring student and always looks after his friends. His smile can light up a room! DJ, you are a true DGS STAR!
Edinburgh College open their application window at the end of January. Pupils who are thinking about going to college should be starting to research their course options on the revamped Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/ Although it should be noted other Colleges have different application dates and may have opened already.
For those students thinking about leaving at Christmas, the following link has details of courses which may be of interest, including quite a few options in beauty.
Anyone who is interested should go and see Lynn Telford the careers adviser.
Apprenticeships (Graduate and Modern)
It’s also worth being aware of the excellent opportunities available for Apprenticeships at the moment. There are currently 27 Graduate Apprenticeship offers and over 400 Modern Apprenticeship offers available on https://www.apprenticeships.scot/ .
Heriot Watt University
If you are interested in studying sports science, Heriot Watt University are hosting a Sports and Exercise science degree showcase at the Orium from 4.30-6.30pm on Wednesday 15th December. Click on the link below for more details
Santa’s Snacks Appeal 2021
Dunbar Grammar School & connected communities
are organising a collection of Santa’s snacks for people in our community. All donations welcome please. Please see the attached for more information: Santa’s Snacks Appeal 2l
For the first 12 days of Christmas we are asking for foodbank donations as a ‘reverse advent calendar.’ House captains are delivering boxes to registration teachers which we hope to fill.
Our goal is for 1000 items, with the winning house captains delivering these to the foodbank with a member of SLT in time for Christmas.
Teenage Booster and Meningitis ACWY Vaccinations
- Please read the letter in the consent pack, discuss the vaccinations with your child and return completed and signed consent forms to school by 13 December 2021.
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
- DGS Extra-Curricular Clubs – Google Docs
Other Information / Opportunities
- Social Care or Childcare Opportunity
- Flyer for Jan22 Course – Social Care or Childcare
- Lost Property – we have a large amount of lost property at present. Students who have lost items of clothing should come to the school office, as left items will be recycled at Christmas.
- 21-12-07 Information Sheet
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants | Free school meals and clothing grants | East Lothian Council
- Vacancy newsletter – 10122021
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Schools Asymptomatic Testing Programme
- Students over the age of 12 can sign up themselves and those under 12 require parental consent. If any student would like to sign up, but has not already done so should complete the form: online consent form
- The link for recording results is here: https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result
How To Pass Evening
Please see the following presentations from the How To Pass Evening:
- Art & Design – Nat5/Higher
- Business Management
- Chemistry – Nat 5/Higher
- Early Learning & Childcare
- English – Nat 5
- English – Higher
- Environmental Science – Nat 5
- Geography – Nat 5/Higher
- Media – Nat 5
- Mod Languages – Higher
- Modern Studies – Nat 5
- Music Technology – Nat 5/Higher
- Photography – Higher
- PE – Higher
- Physics – Nat 5/Higher
- RMPS Nat 5
- COVID19 vaccines for 12-15 year olds will not be delivered via schools. The link below gives locations for drop-ins:
- More information can be read here: www.nhsinform.scot/covid19vaccineyoungpeople
- NHS vaccination team advise that “mop-up” clinics will operate across NHS Lothian area for children who have not had their Flu vaccination in school. If any child has missed this vaccination in school, then parents can contact the Community vaccination team on 0131 446 4082 to arrange a clinic appointment.
Consultation to Scottish Government on The Period Products (Free Provision) (Scotland) Act 2021
Consultation will end on 14th January 2022
We have an “Attendance” inbox for parents to email with student absences/appointments. Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org
We would just like to remind all parents and carers that to contact a member of staff, emails should be sent to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. We would ask that parents and carers do not send emails to staff EduBuzz accounts.