Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries
Important Letters/information this week:
S3 Full Reports
These will be given out next week.
Clarification of Testing
- An individual with COVID symptoms should still seek a PCR test to confirm whether or not they have COVID – a negative LFD test alone is insufficient
- An asymptomatic individual who tests positive by LFD does NOT require a confirmatory PCR – the positive LFD is confirmation of infection
Expressive Arts Skill Development Sessions
With an eye on the various forthcoming Expressive Art folio and assignment deadlines, as well as the practical exams and performances – all Expressive Arts senior pupils (S4-S6) are invited to attend skills development sessions which are taking place between Monday 17th and Friday 21st January.
Pupils should refer to their Google classrooms, which will give further details as to when these sessions are running.
Please get in touch with any questions. Mrs Cairns
Active Schools Update
We are pleased to announce outdoor sports fixtures will return from 17th January and our extracurricular sports clubs are up and running. Please click on link to see all info DGS SPORT | Dunbar Grammar School (edubuzz.org)
Our indoor clubs apart from Table Tennis & Trampolining are off until 24th January due to our main hall being used for exams.
To book a place on one of our clubs please use this link https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
If you are looking for a chance to coach or volunteer in any way at our clubs or at fixtures please email our Active School Coordinator at email@example.com
East Lothian Works Courses
East Lothian Works (the Council’s Employability Hub) are hosting a series of virtual information evenings about their course offerings for the coming academic year. They will cover course choice options including Foundation Apprenticeships, the School College Partnership offer, and the East Lothian Works offer. This is a fantastic opportunity to find out about the variety of courses available to students when they choose their subjects for next year. The sessions are repeated on the following dates, and will run from 6pm-7pm through this link: https://meet.google.com/ijq-pzhs-hhi
- Monday 17th Jan
- Wednesday 19th Jan
- Monday 24th Jan
- Wednesday 26th Jan
Senior Student Study Resources
This is a reminder that in addition to revision work and tasks on Google Classroom, additional work/learning can be accessed using Scholar UK, Achieve, E-sgoil and the National E-Learning offer Senior Phase (S4-S6). Furthermore, all students can now access recorded video lessons on @West_OS using their Glow login to support their learning and revision at home! (If they do not have their Glow Login details please ask them to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request these from our admin team). Students can find West_OS in the Glow App Library where they will be able to add the tile to their personal Glow Launchpad. There are lots of quality assured video lessons available for all our students across a range of subjects. Students will find this a great resource to support their learning and revision on Glow @GlowScot. The SQA website also has a range of useful resources covering course content, past papers and marking schemes and well worth using
Finally, we would also like to remind all students that the How to Pass presentations have a vast array of hints, tips and resources for each specific subject:
- Art & Design – Nat5/Higher
- Business Management
- Chemistry – Nat 5/Higher
- Early Learning & Childcare
- English – Nat 5
- English – Higher
- Environmental Science – Nat 5
- Geography – Nat 5/Higher
- Media – Nat 5
- Mod Languages – Higher
- Modern Studies – Nat 5
- Music Technology – Nat 5/Higher
- Photography – Higher
- PE – Higher
- Physics – Nat 5/Higher
- RMPS Nat 5
How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants
We want to ensure that you are not missing out on any potential entitlements. Two important areas are free school meals and clothing grants to support the purchase of school uniform.
Access to free school meals is an important part of the health and wellbeing of students at Dunbar Grammar School.
East Lothian Council provides free school meals and clothing grants to children who are attending East Lothian Council schools. Read more about it here:
The form is here: Free School Meals and School Clothing Grants | East Lothian Council
If you have any queries or having difficulty completing the form please email email@example.com
If you would like information in your own language or format (e.g. Braille), please phone 01620 827199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you or a member of your household has been affected by the Coronavirus pandemic, you may be eligible for financial help. Additional financial support has been introduced for low income workers who are required to self-isolate. Some local residents may have returned to work but on reduced hours, while others may have lost their job. It can be difficult to know what’s available and how to apply. At East Lothian Council, we are continuing to work closely with our partners, local community groups and volunteers to make sure help gets to those who need it. This leaflet brings together some of the help available, with information about who to contact if you need more advice.
Any lost property from before the Christmas holidays will be recycled on Wednesday 19 January.
Proposal on Outdoor Facility
We have been asked to forward on the following survey regarding three proposed outdoor facilities in Dunbar: https://forms.gle/CHAN7ePzrvoaLU2Z9
Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
Attached is information on some fantastic resources which have been developed by the CAMHS Early Intervention Team to help parents to support their child or teenager with anxiety.
The supports available include-
- Access to recorded two part information session webinars- Understanding Anxiety and Supporting your child with anxiety. These are also available in BSL.
- Access to two online module courses for parents based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)- Supporting your Child with Anxiety and Supporting your Teenager with Anxiety. Both courses allow parents to work through the course at their own pace, they are most suitable for parents looking to support their young person with worry and anxiety, while learning helpful strategies to manage their own anxieties. These modules are available via the platform Silvercloud. Sign up is free using the access code Lothian.
- Information on some great apps which are available for free across NHS Scotland for people 16+ on Sleep and Anxiety, and other useful websites and books.
- A link to the adult mental health website – Home – Wellbeing Lothian
If you require any information on the resources please get in touch with DGS Pupil Support.
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
- DGS Extra-Curricular Clubs – Google Docs
Other Information / Opportunities
DGS Science are looking to recruit a new Laboratory Assistant, and this is being advertised through the myjobscotland website. The role involves working closely with our current technician and all Science staff. The duties will include preparing and delivering lesson resources, managing chemicals and stock, and maintaining and repairing Science equipment.
The role is 8:30 to 3:30 Monday to Thursday, and 8:30 to 12:30 Friday. It also follows the school holidays.
The Science Faculty is made up of fourteen staff and offers Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, and Foundation Apprenticeship in Scientific Technologies. There is also a lunch time Science club aimed at S1 pupils. It is a very friendly department and enjoys a high uptake from pupils.
If you are interested in apply please follow the link below and submit an application.
The closing date for this post is 23/1/2022.
- Recruitment Poster 2022 Modern Apprentice – Nursery
- Modern Apprenticeship information: https://www.apprenticeships.scot/
- Volunteer Email Flyer
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Flyer for Jan22 Course – Social Care or Childcare
- Vacancy newsletter – 07012022
- 22-01-11 Information Sheet
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Schools Asymptomatic Testing Programme
- Students over the age of 12 can sign up themselves and those under 12 require parental consent. If any student would like to sign up, but has not already done so should complete the form: online consent form
- The link for recording results is here: https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result
- Privacy Notice
- Testing information poster
Meetings are 7pm – 8.30pm on Google Meet. The next one is on Thursday 10th February.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend.
|Date||Principal Teacher presentation||Additional presentation and discussion topic|
|Thurs 10th Feb 2022
|Promoting respect – positive relationships|
|Wed 9th Mar 2022||Clair Fruish
|Support and challenge in teaching and learning|
|Wed 6th Apr 2022||Ian Davies
|Equality, Diversity and Inclusion|
|Thurs 5th May 2022||Paul Sutherland
(Health and Wellbeing)
|ELC Anti-Bullying policy|
|Wed 8th June 2022||Elaine Taylor (Technologies)||Teacher cover provision|
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org