Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries
Important Letters/information out this week:
We are looking forward to welcoming S4-S6 students back in classes on Monday 24th January.
S3 Full Reports
These were handed out to S3 students on Tuesday 18 January, with the following letter: BGE S3 Report Letter
S3 into S4 Course Choice Process
- January/February – Information in PSE
- Tuesday 25 Jan 7pm – S3 Parent/Carers’ Online Information Event: S3 Parent Information Event Letter
- Friday 28 Jan – Likely Levels of Study issued
- Monday 31 Jan – Course Choice Booklets will be available on the school website
- Wednesday 2 Feb – S3 Parent/Carer Consultation Evening
- 8 – 11 Feb – S3 Coursing Interviews
S3 Parent/Carers’ Consultation Evening
This will be held on Wednesday 2 February from 5 – 7.30pm. Letters with instructions were emailed to S3 parents and carers yesterday: S3 Parent Evening Letter
Edinburgh College Update
Face to face teaching on campus will resume for SCP pupils week commencing 24th January.
22/23 SCP courses open for application week commencing 31st January. Full time course open for application 1st February.
DTP/MenACWY vaccines – S3/S4 Students
The NHS vaccination team will be on site offering self-consent opportunities for those pupils who as yet have not returned a consent form. This will be on Monday 24 January, prior to the vaccination date on 3 February.
Smartcards with Free Travel
Please see the following website for Young Scot free travel enquiries for under 22s: getyournec.scot.
Any queries regarding the Young Persons’ Free Bus Travel Scheme should be
directed to Transport Scotland at email@example.com
Stars of the Week
Mr Glen (English)
- ‘He has always helped me with my English. I have come on so much better when writing my essays and ruae. He supports and includes everyone in his class’
Mr Glen – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Kevin Watters S3 (Effort)
- Kevin has been fantastic in class recently – he is always willing to help hand out jotters or plug in Chromebooks. He has been working really hard on our World War One unit and clearly has a great knowledge about War Weaponry! Around the wider school I have seen Kevin continuing to embrace the RISE values and he is a real DGS star. Keep it up, Kevin!
Scout Easingwood S1 (Inclusion)
- Scout is a super classmate to the rest of her registration class in 1C8. She is friendly and kind towards everyone in the class and always makes sure everyone is included during games and conversations. Scout regularly goes out of her way to speak to people sitting by themselves. Before Christmas, Scout came to registration with a Christmas card and handmade word search for everyone in 1C8. She sets an excellent example for everyone else in the class and sets everyone’s day off on a very positive note!
East Lothian Works Courses
East Lothian Works (the Council’s Employability Hub) are hosting a series of virtual information evenings about their course offerings for the coming academic year. They will cover course choice options including Foundation Apprenticeships, the School College Partnership offer, and the East Lothian Works offer. This is a fantastic opportunity to find out about the variety of courses available to students when they choose their subjects for next year. The sessions are repeated on the following dates, and will run from 6pm-7pm through this link: https://meet.google.com/ijq-pzhs-hhi
- Monday 24th Jan
- Wednesday 26th Jan
How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants
- The form is here: Free School Meals and School Clothing Grants | East Lothian Council
- If you have any queries or having difficulty completing the form please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like information in your own language or format (e.g. Braille), please phone 01620 827199 or email email@example.com.
Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
- DGS Extra-Curricular Clubs – Google Docs
Other Information / Opportunities
- Skills Boost Healthcare – Applications are open for the next Skills Boost for Healthcare course with opportunities for employment with NHS Lothian in Healthcare Support Worker roles based in Edinburgh. Please see
- Edinburgh College has launched a new Skills Boost for Data Science course which promises to equip attendees with vital data science skills that are becoming even more in demand with employers. More information:
- Modern Apprenticeship information: https://www.apprenticeships.scot/
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Vacancy newsletter – 21012022
- 22-01-18 Information Sheet
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Schools Asymptomatic Testing Programme
- Students over the age of 12 can sign up themselves and those under 12 require parental consent. If any student would like to sign up, but has not already done so should complete the form: online consent form
- The link for recording results is here: https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result
- Privacy Notice
- Testing information poster
Senior Student Study Resources
This is a reminder that in addition to revision work and tasks on Google Classroom, additional work/learning can be accessed using Scholar UK, Achieve, E-sgoil and the National E-Learning offer Senior Phase (S4-S6). Furthermore, all students can now access recorded video lessons on @West_OS using their Glow login to support their learning and revision at home! (If they do not have their Glow Login details please ask them to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request these from our admin team). Students can find West_OS in the Glow App Library where they will be able to add the tile to their personal Glow Launchpad. There are lots of quality assured video lessons available for all our students across a range of subjects. Students will find this a great resource to support their learning and revision on Glow @GlowScot. The SQA website also has a range of useful resources covering course content, past papers and marking schemes and well worth using
Finally, we would also like to remind all students that the How to Pass presentations have a vast array of hints, tips and resources for each specific subject:
- Art & Design – Nat5/Higher
- Business Management
- Chemistry – Nat 5/Higher
- Early Learning & Childcare
- English – Nat 5
- English – Higher
- Environmental Science – Nat 5
- Geography – Nat 5/Higher
- Media – Nat 5
- Mod Languages – Higher
- Modern Studies – Nat 5
- Music Technology – Nat 5/Higher
- Photography – Higher
- PE – Higher
- Physics – Nat 5/Higher
- RMPS Nat 5
Meetings are 7pm – 8.30pm on Google Meet. The next one is on Thursday 10th February.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend.
|Date||Principal Teacher presentation||Additional presentation and discussion topic|
|Thurs 10th Feb 2022
|Promoting respect – positive relationships|
|Wed 9th Mar 2022||Clair Fruish
|Support and challenge in teaching and learning|
|Wed 6th Apr 2022||Ian Davies
|Equality, Diversity and Inclusion|
|Thurs 5th May 2022||Paul Sutherland
(Health and Wellbeing)
|ELC Anti-Bullying policy|
|Wed 8th June 2022||Elaine Taylor (Technologies)||Teacher cover provision|
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org