A reminder that we finish for the Easter Holidays on Friday 8th April. Staff and students resume on Monday 25th April.
Friday 8th April will be a dress down day for Relay for Life Dunbar (Cancer Research UK) and The Disasters Emergency Committee for Ukraine. If you would like to dress down, please bring £1 to registration.
If we experience issues with our telephones, please text 07860 049053 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Letters/information out this week:
- Exam Booster Parent Letter
- S3 and S2 Remote Learning Letter 4 April 22
- SQA Letter
- Easter Revision 2022 Letter
- Easter Revision 2022 Timetable
- S4 Study Leave Letter
- S5 Study Leave Letter
- S6 Study Leave Letter
Sign up for subjects-specific sessions will be on a first-come first served basis, so it is important that students complete the Google Form emailed to them. The deadline for completing the form is Tuesday 5th April.
Grade Booster Sessions
A programme of grade booster immersion days is being finalised. These will take place during the examination period. Full details will be shared with students, parents and carers next Tuesday.
S4 Students who are not entitled to Examination Leave
S4 students who are sitting fewer than three National 5 examinations will receive a personalised letter next Friday with details of the in-school programme for May.
Important SQA Updates
- Please see the presentation from the SQA Exams 2022 Parental Information Evening on 29th March 2022: SQA Parent Information Evening Presentation
- The following presentation was shared with senior students in assembly this week: Your Exams 2022
- See the following link for information on the appeals process for 2022: SQA Appeals 2022
- The following letter was emailed to parents and carers today: SQA Letter
S1, S2 and S4 students were given their proof photographs last week with instructions for orders.
The closing date for free delivery back to school is Wednesday 6th April 2022. Order through the Tempest website using your unique link or visit www.tempest-orders.co.uk
If you need any assistance in ordering your photos, please contact Tempest on 01736 751555 (option 3).
We are awaiting the S6 students individual and group proof photographs.
The next meeting is on Wednesday 6th April. Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend. There will be an additional presentation and topic discussion led by Ian Davies, Principal Teacher of Sciences, on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
Active Schools Update – Buses
As of Monday 4th April all pupils’ bus payments for Dunbar Grammar School Sports fixtures will be collected via Schoolpay. We will no longer be collecting cash for transport.
If you have an account and using follow these instructions:
- Log into SchoolPay then select Accounts at the top of the screen.
- To the right hand side of the student’s name click on the Select button.
- On the next screen choose School Shop and click on the Shop button.
- Use the drop down option to Select Transport for Sport Activities
- Key in quantity (1) £3.00 click save item in basket/ Go to basket option and pay.
If you do not have an account please log on to East Lothian Council:
- Then click on Pay for it online/ SchoolPay/ Register for myaccount
If you have any other questions please contact the school office for assistance.
Easter Activities for Young Carers
Activities Week Parent/Carer Week Volunteers
On the week beginning the 9th May we will be having an Activities week for S1-S3. We would really appreciate some parent and carer volunteers to help us supervise some of the Activities. This may involve walking groups of students to Fox lake or other areas of the community. If you can help out any morning or afternoon please could you fill out this Google form: https://forms.gle/ZuTUXuSEhBd3onkT7
STARS OF THE WEEK
Mr McBirnie (Music)
- ‘Mr McBirnie is the funniest teacher ever and he is the best music teacher anyone could ask for. He makes every lesson fun, especially when I get to joke with him. He really deserves a star of the week J’
- ‘He always makes the effort to include me and my friends which makes us feel supported to not worry of making mistakes which makes us feel support’
- ‘He is a brilliant music teacher and is really nice to our class’
- ‘Mr McBirnie has been helping a lot with my music and I think just should get it.’
Mr McBirnie– you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Eve Allen S6 (Support)
Eve works so hard for the Charity Committee and has been an asset to the group.
Over the last few weeks she and others in S6 have taken on coordinating and running the Positive Mental Health Awareness Week. It was great to see staff and students take part. Well done Eve. Eve also created the leaflets issued in registration which I have no doubt will have provided support and advice to many. Eve is a real DGS STAR!
Ansel Parkin S1 (Effort)
Ansel has been a star all year – his participation in our lesson discussion as well as his classwork and homework are fantastic. The last few weeks he has shown his maturity in supporting other members of his class with their work once he has finished his own. He is always willing to help and is a great team player. Well done Ansel, keep it up!
The lateral flow device (LFD) testing programme for schools will come to an end on Friday 8th April. We still have a good supply of test kits and students are welcome to collect theses from the front office.
The leavers ceremony will take place on Friday 8th April. Full details have been emailed to S6 students. Students should arrive at school at 10.30am dressed in full school uniform. The ceremony will take place from 11am – 12pm. A celebration event will take place in the atrium from 12.15pm.
Active Schools Update – Girls’ Easter Camp
- Please follow the link for sign up!
- 11th-15th April 1.30pm – 3.30pm
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
- DGS Extra-Curricular Clubs – Google Docs
- 22-03-29 Information Sheet
- Muirfield Riding Therapy Event
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants/2
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
- Please see the following website for first time applications for Young Scot free travel for under 22s: getyournec.scot.
- Vacancy Newsletter – 01042022
- Apprenticeships Poster 2022
- Modern Apprenticeship information: https://www.apprenticeships.scot/
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Senior Student Study Resources
This is a reminder that in addition to revision work and tasks on Google Classroom, additional work/learning can be accessed using Scholar UK, Achieve, E-sgoil and the National E-Learning offer Senior Phase (S4-S6). Furthermore, all students can now access recorded video lessons on @West_OS using their Glow login to support their learning and revision at home! (If they do not have their Glow Login details please ask them to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request these from our admin team). Students can find West_OS in the Glow App Library where they will be able to add the tile to their personal Glow Launchpad. There are lots of quality assured video lessons available for all our students across a range of subjects. Students will find this a great resource to support their learning and revision on Glow @GlowScot. The SQA website also has a range of useful resources covering course content, past papers and marking schemes and well worth using
Finally, we would also like to remind all students that the How to Pass presentations have a vast array of hints, tips and resources for each specific subject:
- Art & Design – Nat5/Higher
- Business Management
- Chemistry – Nat 5/Higher
- Early Learning & Childcare
- English – Nat 5
- English – Higher
- Environmental Science – Nat 5
- Geography – Nat 5/Higher
- Media – Nat 5
- Mod Languages – Higher
- Modern Studies – Nat 5
- Music Technology – Nat 5/Higher
- Photography – Higher
- PE – Higher
- Physics – Nat 5/Higher
- RMPS Nat 5
Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend.
|Date||Principal Teacher presentation||Additional presentation and discussion topic|
|Wed 6th Apr 2022||Ian Davies
|Equality, Diversity and Inclusion|
|Thurs 5th May 2022||Paul Sutherland
(Health and Wellbeing)
|ELC Anti-Bullying policy|
|Wed 8th June 2022||Elaine Taylor (Technologies)||Teacher cover provision|
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org