If we experience issues with our telephones, please text 07860 049053 or email email@example.com
Useful Guide for p7 Parents and Carers
Head Students 2022-2023
Following the hustings, votes and interviews we are delighted to announce that our Head Students for next session will be:
- Kitty Bird
- Olivia Burton
Deputes interviews will take place next week.
A huge well-done to all candidates involved – the standard of the hustings and interview was incredibly high and we are very proud of all of them.
Medicines Held in School
As we are now nearing the end of the school year, any unused medication held in the office on behalf of students should be taken home.
If your child has medication in the medical room it should be collected by Thursday 30 June, any medicines left after this date will be destroyed.
Please note that this excludes allergy medication, Epi-pens and glucose etc. held on behalf of diabetic students. These items will be retained until their use by dates.
If your child still requires to have medication in school please complete the appropriate form from the links on our website and send it in at the start of the next term along with the medication:
- Request for school to issue short-term prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue long-term prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue long-term ‘as required’ prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue non-prescribed medication
- Request to school for medication to be carried and self-administered by pupil
Candidate addresses for August Certification
It is important that we hold the correct home address for all our candidates – this will ensure they receive their certificates on Tuesday 9 August. Please contact the school if you have recently moved house.
Sports Awards’ Evening
On Thursday 23 June we celebrated the sporting achievements of our students. The evening included musical performances as well as an inspirational speech from Chris Laidlaw.
Congratulations to all award winners and thank you to everyone involved.
Young Scot /Smart cards
It is important that all students have, and carry with them, their young scot/smartcard. These are required for bus transportation and also to purchase food from the Bistro and Hub. A significant number of students have either lost their cards or are not bringing them, which is leading to very long queues at break and lunchtime. If any student requires a replacement, they can collect a form at the office or print off the attached: Replacement smart card form
Update from our School Uniform Suppliers
Please follow the link for update on uniform supplies, including the order deadline of 10th July: Embroidered Schoolwear & Clubwear (border-embroideries.co.uk)
Stars of the Week
Aimee MacDonald (Biology)
- ‘She always makes the class feel safe and a good positive environment that is always happy to chat’
- ‘Great teacher who is helping everyone with exam revision’
- ‘She explains things well and always helps to answer any questions.’
- ‘I chose support because she answers all my questions even when they’re silly and always provides what I need to RISE!’
- ‘Miss Macdonald is a great teacher, she constantly checks in on us to make sure we understand and she is very good at explaining when we don’t. She always gives us a 5 minute break when we have a double period and asks us about our weekend. She feels more like a friend than a teacher :)’
- ‘is an brilliant biology teacher and gives people lots of support and help when needed’
- ‘She’s really helpful and answers my many questions. When there wasn’t an appropriate diagram for this week’s lessons she designed one herself just to help us better understand. She deserves star teacher every week.’
Ms MacDonald– you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Finn Roberts new S4 (Effort)
- Finn has been a complete star this year in Drama! Regardless of who he is working with he listens to them and does everything he can to encourage them to feel confident in their ideas. As well as this, this year he has been cast in many weird and wonderful roles, all which he completely took in his stride! He has been; A Fairy Princess, a Beauty Queen, a Model for makeup candidates to practice on and a pirate captain who is subject to mutiny. The class wouldn’t be the same without Finn’s positive attitude and he has most definitely earned this star of the week!
Assemblies next Week
- Wednesday – S5 in the Assembly Hall
- Thursday – S6 in the Assembly Hall
- Friday – Whole School Online
Dunbar Grammar School Association 200 Club
The Dunbar Grammar School 200 Club’s aim is to raise funds for the school. The funds are then available to enhance the educational experience of students at the school and are used to purchase items not available through normal budget streams. Full details of winner’s names will be available on the school website.
The draw is open to parents, carers, grandparents, teachers, staff, friends and family are all welcome to join. As this is a registered lottery, you must be aged 18 years or over.
The cost of each entry is £2.50 per month, any individual can hold multiple entries. The draw takes place monthly.
To join all you need to do is complete the Standing Order Mandate and return it to the School Office: DGSA 200 Club Mandate Form
Relay for Life Dunbar
- Local jobs for students
- EL Works vacancy newsletter – 24062022
- Modern Apprenticeship information: https://www.apprenticeships.scot/
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Study Support – Live Webinar Lessons – Access the webinars from Digital learning from Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar | e-Sgoil using your Glow log in details (please contact the school office for Glow details if you don’t have them)
- DGS Study Clubs Booklet – Google Docs
- DGS Extra-Curricular Clubs – Google Docs
- 22-06-21 Information Sheet
- Venturing Out Summer Leaflet 2022
- Drop In Flyer -Summer 2022 – Speech and Language Therapy
- RNLI Key Safety Message Booklet
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants/2
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
- Please see the following website for first time applications for Young Scot free travel for under 22s: getyournec.scot.
- Muirfield Riding Therapy Fundraising Event
Senior Student Study Resources
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org