I hope that you have all had a lovely summer break. It has been great to welcome back our S2-6 students and it has been such a pleasure to meet our new cohort of S1 students. They have made a super start to their time at Dunbar Grammar and the teachers have been really impressed with their positive attitude and enthusiasm for school. I have been really impressed with the overall standard of uniform, students in all year groups have been looking really smart and I would like to ask for your support for the high standards to be maintained.
I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that if you have any questions, queries or matters which you would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact the school. I am delighted that we will be returning to in-person parents evenings this year and I am looking forward to seeing you all over the course of the session
Candidates wishing to submit an appeal for one or more of their results must:
- Complete a consent form- https://forms.gle/6WDmU7X2M2LheqSFA AND
- Register their appeal on the SQA website https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/79049.html
The deadline for all appeals is the 30th August. Please speak to Mr McBride if you have any questions about this process.
Staff Returning to DGS, now on a permanent basis
- Grace Mackenzie – Home Ec
- Duncan Binnie – RME
- Struan MacDonald – PE
- Susie Hay – English
- Kirsty Jack – History
- Tim Cooper – History and Modern Studies
- Dan Shearer – Music
- Marie Devillers – Biology
- Hannah Newberry – Biology
- Hannah Dransfield – English
- Fiona Baker – RME
- Morag McEwen – SfL
- Jennifer Duguid – SfL (Part time)
- Laura Hutchison – Biology
- Hannah Fisher – Music
Newly Qualified Teachers
- Isla Wilson – Drama
- Amy Nicol – English
- Nicholas Trowell – French
- Becky Kellagher – Geography
- Lizzie Nightingale – German
- Katharina Strobel – German
- Erica Sawer – Home Ec
- Eilidh Hunter – Modern Studies
- Caroline Dunn – PE
- Matthew Parkes – Physics
- Lee Ferguson – Chemistry
Other staffing updates
- Tom Fendick continues as Acting PTC Technologies
- Sheilagh Fallon has returned to her substantive post of PTC Modern Languages
- Jackie Gourlay – Business Manager
- Helen Langley – Senior Business Administrator
School Uniform Information
The following letter was emailed to parents and carers on Tuesday 28 June: Uniform Letter June 2022
Medicines Held in School
If your child still requires to have medication in school please complete the appropriate form from the links on our website and send it in at the start of the next term along with the medication:
- Request for school to issue short-term prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue long-term prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue long-term ‘as required’ prescribed medication
- Request for school to issue non-prescribed medication
- Request to school for medication to be carried and self-administered by pupil
19th DGS Battlefields experience 2023
Referring to my letter dated 29th June 2022, Can I remind all S3 parents and carers to complete the following form to register their intentions regarding the 2023 Battlefields Experience.
If you would like a copy of the original letter, please contact email@example.com
We really need to confirm numbers and so, if you have not done so already, please complete this brief survey to confirm if you would like your young person to take part in this experience. https://forms.gle/FuLadjuVVcsK2MCM8.
Financial support will be provided for all families in receipt of Free School meals and Clothing grants.(https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants) For families not in receipt of free school meals but for whom payments will be challenging there are other sources of financial support we can put you in touch with. This is one of the questions on the form.
Weekly Information Slides for Students
Young Scot /Smart cards
It is important that all students have, and carry with them, their young scot/smartcard. These are required for bus transportation and also to purchase food from the Bistro and Hub. If any student requires a replacement, they can collect a form at the office or print off the attached: Replacement smart card form
Parent Council – DGSC
Our Parent Council meets every month and is open to all parent and carers. Meetings are from 7pm – 8.30pm. They cover a range of matters and are a great opportunity for parents and carers to find out more about the school and also have their say. Our September meeting on Wednesday 7th September will also include a 30 minute AGM at the start so will begin at 6.30pm. This will be held in the Conference room beside the school office (Main Entrance). If you are interested in attending, can you please email firstname.lastname@example.org and agenda items will be sent to you in advance. Alternatively, you can just come along on the evening. We would also like to draw to attention to parents and carers that nominations for Chair will be taken at the AGM.
Dunbar Grammar School Association 200 Club
The Dunbar Grammar School 200 Club’s aim is to raise funds for the school. The funds are then available to enhance the educational experience of students at the school and are used to purchase items not available through normal budget streams. Full details of winner’s names will be available on the school website.
The draw is open to parents, carers, grandparents, teachers, staff, friends and family are all welcome to join. As this is a registered lottery, you must be aged 18 years or over.
The cost of each entry is £2.50 per month, any individual can hold multiple entries. The draw takes place monthly.
To join all you need to do is complete the Standing Order Mandate and return it to the School Office: DGSA 200 Club Mandate Form
Online session for Parents and Carers – Stephen Graham, Supporting Literacy at home
Stephen Graham has been working with all East Lothian Schools in developing approaches to teaching literacy. He is offering an online session for parents and carers of primary and secondary students in the Dunbar Cluster. This will take place on Thursday, 25 August · 6:30 – 8:00pm. The Google Meet joining info is https://meet.google.com/ewd-gmnx-jqf
School Improvement Plan
Please see our School Improvement Plan for the coming session
- School Improvement Plan 2022/2023 DGS 2022 2023 SIP
- Standards and Quality Report 2021 – 2022 DGS SQR 21-22
Devolved School Management Scheme
Please see the reports from East Lothian Council regarding the Devolved School Management Scheme:
- ELC Devolved-School-Management-Scheme 2022-23
- ELC Devolved School Management Scheme Summary Edition June 2022
East Lothian Council has introduced Parentsportal.scot for P1 to S6 pupils. This is a new digital service to help replace the traditional school bag run, by providing direct communication to parents through a growing set of online services, using one single login.
The portal has been developed to help provide parents with a clear insight into their child’s education and to support transactional communications between them and the school.
Registration for a Parent’s Portal customer account uses the MyGovScot myaccount service. This is a secure and trusted service provided by the Scottish Government. Most parents have already registered with myaccount to use the SchoolPay online payment system and you can use the same login details for the Parent’s Portal.
Clubs and Study Support Information
- DGS Sports Clubs will be open for booking on Monday 22nd August 6.00pm. Click on https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
- All others to follow shortly
Assemblies for Next Week
Monday – S2 in Assembly Hall with Mrs Slowther
Tuesday – S3 in Assembly Hall with Mrs Slowther
Wednesday – S4 in Assembly Hall with Mrs Slowther
Thursday – S5 in Assembly Hall with Mrs Slowther
Friday – S1 in Games Hall with Mrs Slowther
S6 in Assembly Hall with Mr Offer
- EL Works Vacancy newsletter 19082022
- DDI Data Science Course (SCQF Level 5)A4 DDI Poster v3A4 DDI Dates Cohort 1 – Lvl 5- 12 weeks
- Modern Apprenticeship information: https://www.apprenticeships.scot/
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
- Information Sheet to Follow
- RNLI Key Safety Message Booklet
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants/2
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
- Please see the following website for first time applications for Young Scot free travel for under 22s: getyournec.scot.
- S6 Edinburgh University Talk Period 3 on Friday 26th
Connecting with schools – opportunity for young women and non-binary people
Complete this survey to help young people in your community, by completing the survey, there’s a chance to get a £20 love2shop voucher.
We have launched a survey for young women or non-binary people aged 16-25, who have lived in East Lothian within the last three years.
We would like to understand how many young women and non-binary people in East Lothian have experienced harm in their own relationships, and how many have experienced sexual assault. We also want to understand where people go for support currently, if there are things stopping you from getting support, and what kind of support you would like for yourself or a friend. Your views will be really important to help your local community to support you and other young people better.
Taking part is voluntary and your response will be totally anonymous. We know that answering these questions may be upsetting and uncomfortable. If you become distressed at any point while taking part in this survey, take some time out, and have a look at this page of resources, reading and useful contacts for further support. Please make sure you are in a safe and comfortable place while taking part in this survey, it should take around 10 minutes to complete
Senior Student Study Resources
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: email@example.com