Important Letters/information out this week:
- S3 Reports have been sent home with students today (30th September)
- S1 Parent/Carer Consultation Evening – Wednesday 26th October 5:00 pm – 7:30pm This year we are returning to in person parent and carer evenings and we are particularly delighted to welcome our S1 parents and carers into the school after the October break. The booking system for this event will go live on Monday from 6pm with detailed instructions and booking links sent to your child’s Edubuzz account. S1 – Parent Consultation Letter OCT22
Additional Public Holiday As you know, East Lothian Council had a pre-existing public holiday on the day of the national holiday granted on 19th September to mark the State Funeral of HM The Queen. For that reason, Cabinet has this week approved the following:
Monday 24 October Public Holiday (schools closed to pupils and staff)
Tuesday 25 October In Service Day (schools closed to pupils)
Wednesday 26 October Pupils resume
Well done to Lauren Kerr and Mason Noton in S6 who organised a fundraising concert in aid of Women’s Aid Scotland and Abused Men in Scotland (AMIS). The event included musical performances, poetry recitals, a bake sale and a raffle. A wonderful evening was had by all and an impressive £584 was raised for the two charities.
Annual Data Forms
Annual Data Forms have started to be sent home, please complete them and return to school as soon as possible.
Maths Department Information Evenings
The Maths department will be holding curriculum information evenings via Google Meet. The purpose of the information evening is to provide parents and carers with information about the courses young people are following and the different supports that are available.
Please click the appropriate link below to complete a short Google Form to let us know that you are attending. Links to the Google Meet will be sent out on the day of the via Groupcall.
Tracking Reports and Parent Consultations 2022/2023
We recognise the importance of receiving regular, quality feedback on your young person’s learning and development. You can find a summary of our planned reporting and parent consultation dates for this year by following the link below. https://www.edubuzz.org/dunbargrammar/files/2022/09/Parents-Version-Reports-and-Parents-Evenings.doc
Please note that we are returning to in person parents’ evenings this year but will seek feedback and review this at the end of the session.
Flu Vaccine Forms for all students have been distributed in Registration Class – please return as soon as possible.
Scholar for S4/5/6 Students
On Thursday all students in S4/5/6 were emailed a Scholar Login with their username and password and some instructions to help them access Scholar. To login visit www.scholar.hw.ac.uk. When they login they should see all the courses they are enrolled for at the correct level. Not every course is available on Scholar. This means that some students where their curriculum does not involve any subjects that are available on Scholar will not have an account. You can check which courses are available here: https://scholar.hw.ac.uk/why.html#availableCourses
If there are any queries about access then please ask students to contact Mr White.
If you are unsure how to navigate Scholar and would like some help then you can watch this helpful video: https://youtu.be/IB0fqQyTLas
This is a really valuable resource for students and we would ask for your support in encouraging them to use this to support their studies
S4 Work Experience
S4 work experience will be taking place over 2 weeks in November. 4C1,2,3 & 4 will be going out for a week beginning the 7th of November and 4C5,6,7& 8 will be going out for a week beginning the 14th of November. All pupils have been issued with log in details in PSE this week. Over the course of the next few weeks they will be planning what placement is best for them. We encourage pupils to find placements at companies that they have a genuine interest in so that they get the most from it. There is an expectation that all pupils go out on work experience as it is an important part of the curriculum for preparing them for life post school.
Pupils who have found a self- found placement should send this link to the employer once they have agreed to take them. https://tinyurl.com/Eastlothianworkplacement
Parent Council – DGSC
The next meeting is in school on Wednesday 5th October at 7pm. All parents and carers are warmly invited.
We have a considerable quantity of lost property which has accumulated since the start of term. This includes shirts, trousers, jumpers, shoes and jackets! If your young person has lost clothing, they should go to the main office on a Tuesday to Friday between registration and break time and Ms Smith will help them look for their item in the store.
At the end of each term, we recycle all lost property. It is therefore important that students claim lost items before the October break
Student Information Slides 22-09-27 Plasma Info Sheet
Clubs and Study Support Information
- DGS are supporting Girls in Sport week by offering girls the chance to participate in a range of Sports on Friday 7th October period 1- 4. To be part of this event you must sign up via sign up sheets in your registration classes. Check our social media sites for more details.
- DGS Sports Clubs are open for booking please click on https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
- Please feel free to come along and try even if you haven’t signed up DGS Sports Clubs
- Any pupils interested in participating in the Secondary Road race on the 5th October at Dunfermline please contact Mr Marnoch on email@example.com
- DGS are starting up a new Running Club on Friday mornings pre school. For details please use link below:https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar/new-page-3/
Monday S2 in Assembly Hall
Tuesday S3 in Assembly Hall
Wednesday S4 in Assembly Hall
Thursday S5 in Assembly Hall
Friday S1 in Games Hall
S6 in Assembly Hall
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) applications are now open. Information and Guidance Notes are available on the website www.eastlothian.gov.uk/ema
- EL Works Vacancy newsletter 30092022
- Modern Apprenticeship information: www.apprenticeships.scot/become-an-apprentice/modern-apprenticeships/
- Modern Apprenticeship Opportunity www.mcinroy-wood.co.uk/about-us/working-for-mcinroy-and-wood
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants/2
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
Senior Student Study Resources
- Scholar UK
- Please find attached information about e-Sgoil/NeLO Study Support Evening Webinars e-Sgoil Study Support Letter – 2022-23
- National E-Learning- Senior Phase (S4-S6).
- SQA website
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org