We are currently experiencing issues with our telephone systems. Please contact the school through the email boxes as follows:-
Absence/Appointments – firstname.lastname@example.org – please report absence before 0900
Pupil Support – email@example.com
General Queries – firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send an SMS through our Groupcall system on 07860 049053
Important Information Out this Week:
• ‘How to Pass’ Parent Information Evening – 8th November 2022, 6.00-8pm
In order to support pupil learning and success in the SQA exams, Dunbar Grammar School is holding an information evening for all parents and carers of pupils sitting National 5s and Higher qualifications in May 2023.
The evening is intended to inform parents and carers of S4/5/6 pupils about the courses their children are studying, the assessments, course materials, timelines, and how they can help their child to achieve their potential in their exams. More specifically, this will include a subject specific focus on strategies and techniques that pupils can utilise to develop their learning at home.
All certificated subjects will be represented by a wide range of teachers on the night. Please discuss with your child which subjects are most relevant to them. Each information session will last 10 minutes and will consist of a short presentation from each department followed by an opportunity to ask teachers any questions about how pupils can be supported through the remainder of a challenging year. Parents and carers will be given five minutes to travel to each of their chosen subjects. We would also like to encourage pupils to attend the event. How to Pass Letter
The information/slides from the evening will be shared after the event on the website.
• S2 Activities Week Experience 2023 launch Please see the attached letter which has been emailed to S2 parents/carers. The Activities Week is aimed at developing relationships between students as well as providing an educational experience and focussing on fun. All S2 students are expected to participate 2023 S2 Activities Week Letter (002)
S1, S4 and S6 students had their photographs taken on Wednesday. S1 & S4 should have received the proofs to take home for ordering online. S6 students also had a group photo taken and they will receive the proofs for their individual and group photograph for ordering online after the October holidays.
For S1 and S4 students, the closing date for free delivery back to school is Wednesday 2nd November 2022. Order through the Tempest website using your unique link or visit www.tempest-orders.co.uk
For S6 students, the closing date for free delivery back to school is Wednesday 2nd November 2022. There was also a whole year group photograph taken and this should also appear on the website. Please note students were not given a proof of the whole year group photograph at the time. There are proofs available in the school office for a fun and informal whole year group photograph which are also available to order online. Please order through the Tempest website using your unique link on the proof at www.tempest-orders.co.uk
Parent Council (DGSC)
The next meeting of our Parent Council will take place on Tuesday 1st November from 7 – 8.30pm in the Conference Room (next to the School Office). All parents and carers are warmly invited to attend. The meeting will include a discussion on ‘Attitudes towards Maths’ led by Chris White (PTC Maths)
Study Club/Extra Curricular Booklet Lunch & Extra Curricular Study Clubs
The outcomes of all SQA appeals will be released to schools during the course of Monday morning (31st October). Students will be able to obtain their appeal outcomes from any member of the Senior Leadership Team from P4 onwards. To ensure every student has the opportunity to discuss their results with us we would ask that S5 students report to the Senior Management corridor during periods 4 and 5 and S6 students come along during periods 6 and 7.
The SQA has released a statement for learners to help understand how their appeal evidence has been reviewed by the SQA. You can view this statement by clicking on the link below.
AppealOutcomes2022_InformationForParentsCarersLearners_final (3).pdf (sqa.org.uk)
Certificates will be posted to learners from Friday 11 November 2022.
Annual Data Forms
Annual Data Forms have been sent home, please complete them and return to school as soon as possible.
Calling All Parents – S3 Careers Awareness Day 2022
Dunbar Grammar School are hosting an S3 Careers Awareness Day on Tuesday 22nd November 2022 from 9.30 am till 1 pm.
We would be delighted to have some parents within our school community involved.
Could you inspire our young people by sharing your career journey, a typical workday, education requirements, details of any apprenticeships/training schemes your organization offers and more?
This is an opportunity for our students to speak with someone whose career choice interests them and to explore areas they may not have considered before. The format of the day will be a carousel – informal chats with small groups of students round a table. We would appreciate your willingness to support and be involved in this event. If you are interested in participating, please get in touch with Mrs Lancaster via the school email or contact the school office
Scottish Government – Directorate for Educational Reform
A National Discussion on Scottish Education is taking place. We are inviting everyone with an interest in the future of Scotland’s education system to join in – and we really need to hear from you. Please see the attached letter from the Scottish Government National Discussion on Scottish Education Letter
Monday S2 in Assembly Hall led by Mr Offer
Tuesday S3 in Assembly Hall led by Mr Offer
Wednesday S1 in Games Hall led by Mr Offer
Thursday No Assembly
S4 in Assembly Hall – How to Pass and Prelim Timetables
S5/6 in Games Hall – How to Pass and Prelim Timetables
S4 Work Experience
S4 work experience will be taking place over 2 weeks in November. 4C1,2,3 & 4 will be going out for a week beginning the 7th of November and 4C5,6,7& 8 will be going out for a week beginning the 14th of November. All pupils have been issued with log in details in PSE this week. Over the course of the next few weeks they will be planning what placement is best for them. We encourage pupils to find placements at companies that they have a genuine interest in so that they get the most from it. There is an expectation that all pupils go out on work experience as it is an important part of the curriculum for preparing them for life post school.
Pupils who have found a self- found placement should send this link to the employer once they have agreed to take them. https://tinyurl.com/Eastlothianworkplacement
Student Information Slides 22-10-25 Plasma Info Sheet
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Any pupils who are interested in participating in East Lothian Schools Swimming Time Trials please can you contact our Active School Coordinator for more details: email@example.com
- DGS Sports Clubs are open for booking please click on https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
- DGS are starting up a new Running Club on Friday mornings pre school. For details please use link below:https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar/new-page-3/
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) applications are now open. Information and Guidance Notes are available on the website www.eastlothian.gov.uk/ema
- EL Works Vacancy newsletter 28102022
- Modern Apprenticeship information: www.apprenticeships.scot/become-an-apprentice/modern-apprenticeships/
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants/2
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
Senior Student Study Resources
- Scholar UK
- Please find attached information about e-Sgoil/NeLO Study Support Evening Webinars e-Sgoil Study Support Letter – 2022-23
- National E-Learning- Senior Phase (S4-S6).
- SQA website
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org