We are currently experiencing issues with our telephone systems. Please contact the school through the email boxes as follows:-
Absence/Appointments – firstname.lastname@example.org – please report absence before 0900
Pupil Support – email@example.com
General Queries – firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send an SMS through our Groupcall system on 07860 049053
Important Information Out this Week:
- S4 Parents/Carers Evening – 23rd November 2022. This is an in-school parents evening and bookings will go live through student’s edubuzz next week.
- S5 & S6 Parents/Carers Evening – 1st December 2022 This is an in-school parents evening and bookings will go live through student’s edubuzz email week beginning 21st November.
- ‘How to Pass’ Parent Information Evening – 8th November 2022, 6.00-8pm
In order to support pupil learning and success in the SQA exams, Dunbar Grammar School is holding an information evening for all parents and carers of pupils sitting National 5s and Higher qualifications in May 2023.
The evening is intended to inform parents and carers of S4/5/6 pupils about the courses their children are studying, the assessments, course materials, timelines, and how they can help their child to achieve their potential in their exams. More specifically, this will include a subject specific focus on strategies and techniques that pupils can utilise to develop their learning at home.
All certificated subjects will be represented by a wide range of teachers on the night. Please discuss with your child which subjects are most relevant to them. Each information session will last 10 minutes and will consist of a short presentation from each department followed by an opportunity to ask teachers any questions about how pupils can be supported through the remainder of a challenging year. Parents and carers will be given five minutes to travel to each of their chosen subjects. We would also like to encourage pupils to attend the event. How to Pass Letter
The information/slides from the evening will be shared after the event on the website.
- Prelim Timetable A draft of the Prelim Timetable has been given to senior students today. However a slight change is being made to this and a revised timetable will be shared next Friday.
- S2 Activities Week Experience 2023 launch Please see the attached letter which has been emailed to S2 parents/carers. The Activities Week is aimed at developing relationships between students as well as providing an educational experience and focussing on fun. All S2 students are expected to participate 2023 S2 Activities Week Letter (002)
S6 students had individual and a group photograph taken in October.
The closing date for free delivery back to school is Wednesday 9th November 2022. There was also a whole year group photograph taken and this should also appear on the website. Please note students were not given a proof of the whole year group photograph at the time. There are proofs available in the school office for a fun and informal whole year group photograph which are also available to order online. Please order through the Tempest website using your unique link on the proof at www.tempest-orders.co.uk
Parent Council (DGSC)
The next meeting of our Parent Council will take place on Wednesday 30th November from 7 – 8.30pm online. All parents and carers are warmly invited to attend. If you would like to attend please email email@example.com. The meeting will include a discussion on ‘Let’s talk about Scottish Education’ Scottish Curriculum Reform. Please see the attached DGSC Meetings 2022-23
Study Club/Extra Curricular Booklet Lunch & Extra Curricular Study Clubs
Scottish Book Week (14th of November to 17th of November)
In school, we will be running the following events:
- Guess the staff ‘shelfie’ registration competition
- Keith Gray author visit – Advanced Higher English creative
- Writing workshop
- Book swap in the Assembly Hall (Wednesday lunch)
- We are looking for pupils and staff to bring in books they don’t use any more and trade them for a new book. Books can be dropped off in advance in G9.
- Nigel Bird author visit – Higher English students (Thursday Period 6 and 7)
- Drop Everything And Read time – whole school Thursday period 1
The Student Leadership Team are organising a ‘Textbook Bring In’ on the 16th of November as a part of the National Book Week activities. Students have been asked to bring in textbooks throughout next week, however it would be great if parents/carers could bring in any old textbooks during the ‘How to Pass’ evening on the 8th of November, as some students may forget, or you may have textbooks from students who have left the school. There will be a stall with senior students near the front entrance where you’ll be able to drop these off. This will be helpful to reduce waste and also avoid people spending money unnecessarily, and any how to pass books, practice papers or revision guides you can give in are greatly appreciated.
S6 students will be selling Remembrance Poppies in school next week.
Annual Data Forms
Annual Data Forms have been sent home, please complete them and return to school as soon as possible.
Calling All Parents – S3 Careers Awareness Day 2022
Dunbar Grammar School are hosting an S3 Careers Awareness Day on Tuesday 22nd November 2022 from 9.30 am till 1 pm.
We would be delighted to have some parents within our school community involved.
Could you inspire our young people by sharing your career journey, a typical workday, education requirements, details of any apprenticeships/training schemes your organization offers and more?
This is an opportunity for our students to speak with someone whose career choice interests them and to explore areas they may not have considered before. The format of the day will be a carousel – informal chats with small groups of students round a table. We would appreciate your willingness to support and be involved in this event. If you are interested in participating, please get in touch with Mrs Lancaster via the school email or contact the school office
Scottish Government – Directorate for Educational Reform
A National Discussion on Scottish Education is taking place. We are inviting everyone with an interest in the future of Scotland’s education system to join in – and we really need to hear from you. Please see the attached letter from the Scottish Government National Discussion on Scottish Education Letter
Monday – No Assembly
Tuesday – S6 in Assembly Hall with Ms Mitchell and Mr Offer
Wednesday – No Assembly
Thursday – No Assembly
Friday – Whole School online assembly (invite will be sent out next week)
S4 Work Experience
S4 work experience. Classes C1-4 week beginning the 7th of November and C5-8 week beginning the 14th of November. All pupils should now have a placement for the week. Any students without work experience should attend school as normal. If you have any concerns around your young person going on work experience or any other queries please contact their guidance teacher.
S3 RMPS – For Awareness
Our S3 RMPS core classes will be moving on to the topic of euthanasia. As a department we are aware that there may be some students who will find it difficult to go through this unit of work based on family circumstances or may have recently lost a loved one and exploring this topic may bring back emotions around this time in their lives. If any students have any concerns about this topic please come and speak to Mr Sutherland (PT HWB) and we can discuss how we best support our students through this topic.
Student Information Slides 22-11-01 Plasma Info Sheet
- Dunbar Grammar
- 20 – 30hrs per week Mon-Fri
- Term time contract
- Hourly rate £9.90
- Any successful candidates will be subject to a full PVG check.
Any interested parties should email firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Any pupils who are interested in participating in East Lothian Schools Swimming Time Trials please can you contact our Active School Coordinator for more details: email@example.com
- DGS Sports Clubs are open for booking please click on https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
- DGS are starting up a new Running Club on Friday mornings pre school. For details please use link below:https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar/new-page-3/
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) applications are now open. Information and Guidance Notes are available on the website www.eastlothian.gov.uk/ema
- EL Works Vacancy newsletter 28102022
- Modern Apprenticeship information: www.apprenticeships.scot/become-an-apprentice/modern-apprenticeships/
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
- Christmas School Leavers – Information from Borders College Borders College
- Edinburgh College Media, Music and Sound open days in December – Booking Forms
- Milton Road: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/edinburgh-college-media-music-and-sound-production-open-day-milton-road-tickets-458575159647
- Sighthill: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/edinburgh-college-media-and-music-open-day-sighthill-tickets-458626844237
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants/2
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
Senior Student Study Resources
- Scholar UK
- Please find attached information about e-Sgoil/NeLO Study Support Evening Webinars e-Sgoil Study Support Letter – 2022-23
- National E-Learning- Senior Phase (S4-S6).
- SQA website
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org