Parents/ Carers – Closure of school on 24th November 2022
We have been informed that the EIS (Educational Institute of Scotland) and the AHDS (Association of Head Teachers and Deputes Scotland) are proposing strike action on Thursday 24 November. Please see the attached letter from Nicola McDowell, Head of Education NOV PARENT-CARERS LETTER RE STRIKE ACTION
We are currently experiencing issues with our telephone systems. Please contact the school through the email boxes as follows:-
Absence/Appointments – firstname.lastname@example.org – please report absence before 0900
Pupil Support – email@example.com
General Queries – firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send an SMS through our Groupcall system on 07860 049053
Important Information Out this Week:
- S4 Parents/Carers Evening – 23rd November 2022. This is an in-school parents evening and bookings will go live through student’s edubuzz next week.
Please see the attached letter sent to S4 parents/carers sent today
- S5 & S6 Parents/Carers Evening – 1st December 2022 This is an in-school parents evening and bookings will go live through student’s edubuzz email week beginning 21st November.
- ‘How to Pass’ Parent Information Evening – 8th November 2022, 6.00-8pm Thank you to all our parents/cares/students who were able to attend this evening. The faculty presentations will be available to view on the website next week.
- Prelim Timetable A draft of the Prelim Timetable has been given to senior students today. However a slight change is being made to this and a revised timetable will be shared shortly.
- S2 Activities Week Experience 2023 launch Please see the attached letter which has been emailed to S2 parents/carers. The Activities Week is aimed at developing relationships between students as well as providing an educational experience and focussing on fun. All S2 students are expected to participate 2023 S2 Activities Week Letter (002)
Parent Council (DGSC)
The next meeting of our Parent Council will take place on Wednesday 30th November from 7 – 8.30pm online. All parents and carers are warmly invited to attend. If you would like to attend please email email@example.com. The meeting will include a discussion on ‘Let’s talk about Scottish Education’ Scottish Curriculum Reform. Please see the attached DGSC Meetings 2022-23
Study Club/Extra Curricular Booklet Lunch & Extra Curricular Study Clubs
Scottish Book Week (14th of November to 17th of November)
In school, we will be running the following events:
- Guess the staff ‘shelfie’ registration competition
- Keith Gray author visit – Advanced Higher English creative
- Writing workshop
- Book swap in the Assembly Hall (Wednesday lunch)
- We are looking for pupils and staff to bring in books they don’t use any more and trade them for a new book. Books can be dropped off in advance in G9.
- Nigel Bird author visit – Higher English students (Thursday Period 6 and 7)
- Drop Everything And Read time – whole school Thursday period 1
The Student Leadership Team are organising a ‘Textbook Bring In’ on the 16th of November as a part of the National Book Week activities. Students have been asked to bring in textbooks throughout next week, however it would be great if parents/carers could bring in any old textbooks during the ‘How to Pass’ evening on the 8th of November, as some students may forget, or you may have textbooks from students who have left the school. There will be a stall with senior students near the front entrance where you’ll be able to drop these off. This will be helpful to reduce waste and also avoid people spending money unnecessarily, and any how to pass books, practice papers or revision guides you can give in are greatly appreciated.
Annual Data Forms
Annual Data Forms have been sent home, please complete them and return to school as soon as possible.
Calling All Parents – S3 Careers Awareness Day 2022
Dunbar Grammar School are hosting an S3 Careers Awareness Day on Tuesday 22nd November 2022 from 9.30 am till 1 pm.
We would be delighted to have some parents within our school community involved.
Could you inspire our young people by sharing your career journey, a typical workday, education requirements, details of any apprenticeships/training schemes your organization offers and more?
This is an opportunity for our students to speak with someone whose career choice interests them and to explore areas they may not have considered before. The format of the day will be a carousel – informal chats with small groups of students round a table. We would appreciate your willingness to support and be involved in this event. If you are interested in participating, please get in touch with Mrs Lancaster via the school email or contact the school office
Scottish Government – Directorate for Educational Reform
A National Discussion on Scottish Education is taking place. We are inviting everyone with an interest in the future of Scotland’s education system to join in – and we really need to hear from you. Please see the attached letter from the Scottish Government National Discussion on Scottish Education Letter
S4 Work Experience
S4 work experience. Classes C5-8 week beginning the 14th of November. All pupils should now have a placement for the week. Any students without work experience should attend school as normal. If you have any concerns around your young person going on work experience or any other queries please contact their guidance teacher.
S3 RMPS – For Awareness
Our S3 RMPS core classes will be moving on to the topic of euthanasia. As a department we are aware that there may be some students who will find it difficult to go through this unit of work based on family circumstances or may have recently lost a loved one and exploring this topic may bring back emotions around this time in their lives. If any students have any concerns about this topic please come and speak to Mr Sutherland (PT HWB) and we can discuss how we best support our students through this topic.
Student Information Slides 22-11-07 Plasma Info Sheet
FREE EXHIBITION ENTRY – Positive Currents Exhibition – at the Scottish Seabird Centre for 11-24 year olds, up to 20 November 2022.
Dive into the stories of the Forth – past, present and future – with our Positive Currents exhibition. Positive Currents has been co-created with the Scottish Fisheries Museum and celebrates the spectacular natural history and heritage of the Forth estuary. The Firth of Forth, along with its coasts and islands, has a rich multi-layered history and a wealth of stories to tell. From wildlife to industry and landscapes to human relationships, many of those stories continue to be relevant to our present and will influence our future.
Bring your Young Scot card, to gain entry. Positive Currents is on at the Scottish Seabird Centre in North Berwick, daily 10am-4pm (last entry 2.45pm), up to and including 20th November Forgotten Stories and Future Voices of the Firth of Forth – POSTER
- Dunbar Grammar
- 20 – 30hrs per week Mon-Fri
- Term time contract
- Hourly rate £9.90
- Any successful candidates will be subject to a full PVG check.
Any interested parties should email firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Any pupils who are interested in participating in East Lothian Schools Swimming Time Trials please can you contact our Active School Coordinator for more details: email@example.com
- DGS Sports Clubs are open for booking please click on https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
- DGS are starting up a new Running Club on Friday mornings pre school. For details please use link below:https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar/new-page-3/
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) applications are now open. Information and Guidance Notes are available on the website www.eastlothian.gov.uk/ema
- EL Works Vacancy newsletter 28102022
- Modern Apprenticeship information: www.apprenticeships.scot/become-an-apprentice/modern-apprenticeships/
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
- Christmas School Leavers – Information from Borders College Borders College
- Edinburgh College Media, Music and Sound open days in December – Booking Forms
- Milton Road: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/edinburgh-college-media-music-and-sound-production-open-day-milton-road-tickets-458575159647
- Sighthill: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/edinburgh-college-media-and-music-open-day-sighthill-tickets-458626844237
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants/2
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
Senior Student Study Resources
- Scholar UK
- Please find attached information about e-Sgoil/NeLO Study Support Evening Webinars e-Sgoil Study Support Letter – 2022-23
- National E-Learning- Senior Phase (S4-S6).
- SQA website
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: firstname.lastname@example.org