We are currently experiencing issues with our telephone systems. Please contact the school through the email boxes as follows:-
Absence/Appointments – email@example.com – please report absence before 0900
Pupil Support – firstname.lastname@example.org
General Queries – email@example.com
Or send an SMS through our Groupcall system on 07860 049053
Important Information Out this Week:
- S5 & S6 Parents/Carers Evening – 1st December 2022 This is an in-school parents evening and bookings went live through student’s edubuzz email on Monday. Please note appointment booking closes on Tuesday 29th November.
At the S5/S6 Parents and Carers Consultation evening next week, we will have a supply of uniform available free to anyone who may need it.
If anyone has uniform which your young person has outgrown, we would gladly accept this for our stock. This can be handed in to the office at any time, or brought along to the parents evening.
Thank you to all our students and staff who participated in a wonderful day raising funds for Children In Need. The school community raised £1044.44 for Children in Need.
Countdown To Christmas – please see the link below
Next Friday (2nd) will be our first ‘Festive Friday’. Students will be permitted to wear a festive touch with their school uniform (for example Christmas jumper, tinsel or headwear).
Student Dances – the cost is £3.50 and are available to buy through SchoolPay. Student names will be taken at the door as this is a non-ticketed event. Only students who have paid in advance will be allowed. Students in receipt of Free School Meals are not required to pay but must give their name in advance to Mr Sutherland. Please see the list of dates :-
S5/S6 Dance Thursday 8th December
S3/S4 Dance Monday 12th December
S1/S2 Dance Wednesday 14th December
Christmas Concert – the cost is £4 and this is paid through SchoolPay in the School Shop. This is non-ticketed also and purchasing through SchoolPay guarantees entry.
The deadline for paying for the S6 Yearbook is Friday 3rd February 2023 and this costs £13.75 and is payable through SchoolPay.
Parent Council (DGSC)
The next meeting of our Parent Council will take place on Wednesday 30th November from 7 – 8.30pm online. All parents and carers are warmly invited to attend. If you would like to attend please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The meeting will include a discussion on ‘Let’s talk about Scottish Education’ Scottish Curriculum Reform. Please see the attached DGSC Meetings 2022-23
Join the DGSA and help raise much needed funds for the school
It has never been more difficult for schools to provide everything they need to deliver the educational experience they want for their students. As school budgets are stretched to the limit we can help by raising much needed funds to purchase equipment and create opportunities which support and enhance pupils’ learning.
Some of the things the DGSA have funded over the last few years include:
- 3D Printer
- Science & Maths equipment
- Photography & Art Department equipment
- Mock Court & Theatre Trips
- Pupil Support & Mental Health Week
- Sports equipment and accessories
- Sound System & other equipment for the Music Department
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Weather Station
- Display Boards
We couldn’t do this without our lovely group of parent and carer volunteers and we desperately need new members to keep the fundraising going. We are all juggling busy lives with work and family but every little helps so even if you can only spare a few hours once a year please join us – it will make a huge difference and all our children will benefit! Please let the school office know if you’d like to help and we will get in touch.
Follow us on Facebook – Dunbar Grammar School Association
200 Club – Changes to Standing Orders set up prior to 2020
The 200 Club is run by the DGSA. Changes in committee members and signatories over the years has resulted in problems accessing historical bank accounts, one of which was the original 200 Club account. In order to resolve this, we have had to close the account and set up a new one.
If you signed up to the 200 Club prior to 2020 no payments should have been made from your bank account since the account was closed on 27 June 2022. Please check this, and if there are any problems, contact your bank.
We very much hope you wish to continue supporting us every month. If so, please complete a new Standing Order mandate (forms are available to download on the school website or to pick up at the office).
200 Club – Standing Orders set up this year
If you have kindly completed a form this year for the new 200 Club you will have noticed that no payments have gone out of your account yet. Unfortunately, we don’t have enough members to run the lottery yet, so we have not submitted your forms to the bank. Please encourage your friends and family to support us if they possibly can. As soon as we have enough people signed up, we will get it set up.
Complete forms should be handed into the school office.
Study Club/Extra Curricular Booklet Lunch & Extra Curricular Study Clubs
Student Information Slides 22-11-22 Plasma Info Sheet
Paid Work Experience for Parents
Calling all parents – we are looking for enthusiastic, hardworking and committed parents to undertake a Paid Work Experience placement within the hospitality industry. Whether you are just looking for some extra income or would like to pursue a career in this industry, we have many employers across East Lothian waiting to meet you. Many of these positions have the potential to turn into permanent jobs.
If you are interested, please contact us using the email address or phone number on the attached flyer by Monday 28th November 2022 Hospitality Flyer V2
- Dunbar Grammar
- 20 – 30hrs per week Mon-Fri
- Term time contract
- Hourly rate £9.90
- Any successful candidates will be subject to a full PVG check.
Any interested parties should email email@example.com in the first instance.
Clubs and Study Support Information
- Any pupils who are interested in participating in East Lothian Schools Swimming Time Trials please can you contact our Active School Coordinator for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DGS Sports Clubs are open for booking please click on https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
- DGS are starting up a new Running Club on Friday mornings pre school. For details please use link below:https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar/new-page-3/
How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants
- The form is here: https://eastlothian-Free School Meals and Clothing Grants
- If you have any queries or having difficulty completing the form please email email@example.com
- If you would like information in your own language or format (e.g. Braille), please phone 01620 827199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) applications are now open. Information and Guidance Notes are available on the website www.eastlothian.gov.uk/ema
- EL Works Vacancy newsletter 25112022
- Modern Apprenticeship information and Full and Part Time Jobs:Apprenticeships and Full and Part Time Job Opportunities in Edinburgh and the Lothians
- Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/
- Career Help: https://www.edubuzz.org/midandeastvacancies/
- Christmas School Leavers – Information from Borders College Borders College
- Edinburgh College Media, Music and Sound open days in December – Booking Forms
- Milton Road: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/edinburgh-college-media-music-and-sound-production-open-day-milton-road-tickets-458575159647
- Sighthill: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/edinburgh-college-media-and-music-open-day-sighthill-tickets-458626844237
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants: https://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210557/schools_and_learning/11899/free_school_meals_and_clothing_grants/2
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
Senior Student Study Resources
- Scholar UK
- Please find attached information about e-Sgoil/NeLO Study Support Evening Webinars e-Sgoil Study Support Letter – 2022-23
- National E-Learning- Senior Phase (S4-S6).
- SQA website
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: email@example.com