Important Information Out this Week:
- Prelims Our prelim examinations began on Monday 9th January and are due to finish on Tuesday 24th January. We continue to wish all students the best of luck in these assessments. Finally, a reminder that there is no prelim leave. Students are expected to attend all classes as usual except for the times when they have a prelim. Please see the presentation all senior students received before Christmas Prelims 2023 Presentation for Students Please see the list of items students are prohibited from bringing into their exam room Prohibited Exam Items Please find attached the revised prelim timetable. Please note a minor change to Environmental Science which has moved to 23rd January 2023 Prelim TT Version 3
- Course Choice Over the next few months, students in S2/3/4/5 will be making choices for their courses next session. This process starts with information events for parents and carers. These will be held online and sign up details will be shared over the coming weeks. The dates of these events are
S3 Course Choice – 24th January 2023 (7pm – 8pm online)
S4 and S5 Course Choice – 21st February 2023 (7pm – 8pm online)
S2 Course Choice – 28th February 2023 (7pm – 8pm online)
To sign up for the S3 event please complete the link in the letter sent to S3 Parents and Carers today S3 Parent Info Evening Letter (002)
The presentation will be published on this website the following week for parents and carers who cannot attend.
- S3 Parent/Carer Evening Appointment Bookings are going live Monday 23rd January at 18:00 and will be open for one week. Students book appointments through their Edubuzz Calendar and instructions will be sent to students email. The S3 Parent/Carer Evening is in person from 17:00 to 19:30 on Tuesday 31st January.
Congratulations to Ashley McDonald who has been appointed as our Principal Teacher Equity. More information about this exciting new post can be found here PT Equity announcement (002)
Update – S4/5 Proposed trip June 2023
Back in September we sought views and possible interest for a potential foreign residential trip in June 2023.
Due to the timescales for procurement and organisation, we have made the decision that a trip this academic session would not be feasible. We are acutely aware of the financial pressures facing many families and if we were to run a trip with a substantial cost, it is important that families have enough time to pay this up in instalments.
DGSC – Parent Council
Our next meeting takes place on Wednesday 8th February from 7pm – 8.30pm and is in-person. If you would like further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
STARS of the Week
Staff – Isla Wilson (Drama)
Nominations said ‘Miss Wilson is amazing! She helps out higher class so much and is an absolutely amazing teacher ! She is so supportive of everything and makes sure that we are all understanding the work and will go through it with us until we feel confident
Miss Wilson you are amazing !!!’
The Second nomination was super personal and heartfelt, from Macey Wilson (S5)
‘I want to put Miss Wilson(Drama) forward for staff star of the week. I have just been offered a place at the prestigious MGA Academy in Edinburgh to do a BA (Hons) course in Musical Theatre. I couldn’t of done it without her help on writing personal statements, monologue choices and references. Along with that she has been so helpful over this prelim timetable as she has given our higher class as much support as possible whether that be offering lunch, breaks and after school help to make sure we understand everything that is needed for our prelim coming up. It is clear that everyone extremely appreciates Miss Wilson and what she does for us all.’
Isla– you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Students – Emilia Stuart S6 (Respect)
Emilia has been a shining DGS STAR in the Social Subjects corridor. Emilia consistently brings a huge amount of positive energy to each lesson and is hugely respectful to her peers and teachers alike. Emilia can regularly be found supporting those around her during class time. As well as this, she regularly goes above and beyond to give advice to younger students about revision techniques, essay writing, and subject choices. She is a polite, passionate, and respectful student who is highly valued by team Social Subs. Well done Emilia for all you do – and most importantly – for supplying us with chocolate cake!
The second STAR will be announced next week
The deadline for paying for the S6 Yearbook is Friday 3rd February 2023 and this costs £13.75 and is payable through SchoolPay.
The deadline for paying for the S6 Prom is Friday 31st March 2023 and this costs £60 and is payable through SchoolPay. A suggested payment of £20 per month has been set up or the balance can be paid in full.
Opportunity for S2 and S3 Students
Please see the flyer for weekly workshops at the Brunton Theatre for S2 and S3 students interested in film making. BGE – Creative Industries
Study Club/Extra Curricular Booklet Lunch & Extra Curricular Study Clubs
Student Information Slides – 23-01-17 Plasma Info Sheet
Clubs and Study Support Information
- DGS Sports Clubs are open for booking please click on https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
- DGS are starting up a new Running Club on Friday mornings pre school. For details please use link below:https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar/new-page-3/
How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants
If you have any queries or having difficulty completing the form please email email@example.com
If you would like information in your own language or format (e.g. Braille), please phone 01620 827199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) applications are now open. Information and Guidance Notes are available on the website www.eastlothian.gov.uk/ema
- EL Works Vacancy newsletter 20012023
- East Lothian Works (ELC’s Employability Hub) are hosting a series of information evenings for parents and carers of secondary school students. These events, duplicated across the 25th and 31st January from 6.30pm-7.30pm, will allow the East Lothian Works team to let you know about the course choices available to pupils, including Foundation Apprenticeships, MCR Pathways, School College Partnership, and the ELW offer. This is a fantastic opportunity to get to know more about the choices on offer for your child, and to ask any questions you may have about the East Lothian Works offer. You can join either, or both, of the two events using the link below:https://meet.google.com/etu-wskh-qti
- Torness Power Station are recruiting for apprentices to join our Maintenance and Operations Engineering Technician training programme. Please see the advert for further details Torness Advert 2023
- Careers Information January 2023 Careers Information Jan 2023
- Apprenticeship Opportunities January 2023 APPRENTICESHIP OPPORTUNITIES (002)
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
Senior Student Study Resources
- Scholar UK
- Please find attached information about e-Sgoil/NeLO Study Support Evening Webinars e-Sgoil Study Support Letter – 2022-23
- National E-Learning- Senior Phase (S4-S6).
- SQA website
- Please email with a return date, or email each day: email@example.com