Important Information Out this Week:
The SCP Edinburgh College offer on the website has been updated. Mr Maxton will contact students who have already applied for courses that are no longer available to apply for. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
SCP Course Offer School Doc (004)
Please see attached letter emailed out (Thursday)
Parents Carers Strike Action 15 1617 March 23 (003)
HPV Vaccine forms have gone home for S1 students with some catch-up forms to older students. To be returned to school by Friday 17/03/23
S2 Parents and Carers Consultation Evening – 16 March 2023.
This is an in-school parents evening and bookings will go live through student’s edubuzz from 6pm on Monday 6th March.
S2 – Parent Consultation Letter March 2023
Tracking and Monitoring for Senior Students
The S4 and S5 students have had Course Choice assemblies this week and have also received their reports and likely levels. On Thursday 2 March and Friday 3 March a Likely Levels and a Tracking & Monitoring Report went out for S4/5/6 students into the Registration Folders. If they do not attend Registration then students should come to the school office over break and lunch to collect their report.
Coursing Appointments for S4 and S5 will be emailed to parents/carers on Monday 6 March at the latest with a in-school appointment times over 8 – 14 March. If the appointment does not suit please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your availability.
We have been reviewing our Course Choice options for S4/5 and as a results have made a few changes. This mainly impacts Advanced Higher courses, where we have removed some from columns to offer a greater degree of flexibility. Please see the revised Column Option Sheet for S4 and S5 Course Choices
Thank you to all S2 parents/carers who were able to attend the online S2 Curriculum Evening on Monday 27 February. If you were unable to attend please see the attached presentation 2023 S2 Curriculum Evening
Please use https://www.edubuzz.org/dunbargrammar/course-choice-information/ to view the most up to date Course Choice information.
School College Partnership, East Lothian Works, and Foundation Apprenticeship courses for next year.
If your young person is interested in one of these then they should see Mr Maxton ASAP, particularly S4 and S5 as your course choice interviews are not until March. Edinburgh College also runs Foundation Apprenticeships. See Mr Maxton if you would like to do one of these courses. The applications for these courses are completed on the Edinburgh College website.
An East Lothian Works course is a course run by the employability arm of East Lothian Council on a Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. Please see a list of them above. Please note that you should look at the Senior Phase courses. If you are interested in these please see Mr Maxton for more information or ask at your course choice interview.
East Lothian works also run 4 Foundation Apprenticeships. There is a Powerpoint attached above which explains them. Again please see Mr Maxton if you would like to apply for one or discuss at your Course Choice meeting.
If you have any questions regarding any of this please see Mr Maxton ASAP.
SCP Course Offer School Doc (004)
2022-2023 FA Presentation (002).pptx
Study Club/Extra Curricular Booklet Lunch & Extra Curricular Study Clubs
DUNBAR GRAMMAR SCHOOL COUNCIL
The DGSC is a group comprising parents, the Headteacher, Deputy Head teacher and Teacher representatives, Pupil representatives, Local Councillors and Clerk. Meetings are open invitation and take place either in the school or online. See school emails for further information and consider attending to become involved with your school community. This is not a fundraising group. For further details e-mail: email@example.com
Dunbar Grammar School Council 8th Feb 2023 meeting overview
Monday – Online Whole School – An Introduction to Mental Health Week
S6 Leavers Ceremony
The confirmed date is 21 April 2023 in the morning. Further information to follow nearer the time.
The deadline for paying for the S6 Prom is Friday 31st March 2023 and this costs £60 and is payable through SchoolPay. A suggested payment of £20 per month has been set up or the balance can be paid in full.
28 – 31 March please come to the office and ask for Mrs Smith if you would like to look through lost property. After this date it will be bagged and sent away.
All named items will be returned to students.
Cancer Research Concert Please see a forthcoming concert organised by one of our students. Any students interested in performing should email Lauren below
Free and Friendly Singing Groups for P3 – P7 children NYCoS 2023 digital
Venturing Out Easter 2023 Activities for 8 – 14 year olds
Venturing Out – Easter 2023 PDF
Student Information Slides – 23-02-28 Plasma Info Sheet
- DGS Sports Clubs are open for booking please click on https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar
- DGS are starting up a new Running Club on Friday mornings pre school. For details please use link below:https://eastlothian.bookinglive.com/home/active-schools/active-schools-dunbar-grammar/new-page-3/
- EL Works Vacancy newsletter 03032023
- Horticulture, Garden Design and Landscape Construction courses at Oatridge College Oatridge Taster Day Poster
- Apprenticeship Opportunities March 2023 Apprentice and Career Opportunities
- Apprenticeship Opportunities March 2023 SouthE Edin Opps
- Equans at Dunbar are looking for an apprentice electrician – details on this link https://jobs.equans.co.uk/jobs/39714-apprentice-electrician/?src=JB-18882 and Forth Ports a mechanical engineering apprentice https://seemehired.com/jobs/forth-ports-group/9134/
- To celebrate Scottish National Apprenticeship Week, on Thursday 9th March at 5pm-6:30pm we have a brilliant event that we will be hosting with FTSE 250 company Babcock International! This will be a virtual event meaning you can join from the comfort of your own home on your laptop or any compatible device.
Babcock are an international aerospace and defence company operating in the UK (with a huge base in Scotland) and all over the world. Babcock are over 100+ years-old, have nearly 29,000 employees worldwide and have a reported revenue of nearly half a billion as of 2022! Babcock provides a range of products and service solutions to enhance their customers’ defence capabilities and critical assets.
Babcock works on many projects that take on all different kinds of professionals all the way from project managers to chartered engineers, to naval architects and even data analysts! So as a school leaver (or graduate) this means that no matter what career option you decide to choose, you have a very good chance of being able to work for Babcock in the future.
This insight evening will give both you (and your parents) the opportunity to learn more about their business and the graduate apprenticeships that they have to offer. Babcock has a range of apprenticeships across different locations and if you have an interest in business, engineering, science, or technology, then they could have a role for you.
If you’d like to join this fantastic insight evening, please register through the link below!
- HSBC Modern Apprenticeships are now open for Applications! HSBC’s Modern Apprenticeships provide you with a permanent contract entry-level role, giving the opportunity to gain working experience whilst studying towards professional qualifications. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as support and encouragement to develop and progress your career within HSBC.Applications are now open across various locations and areas across the bank, all with an expected start date of July 2023! Click here to find out more and to submit your application; or scan the QR code to access the HSBC Apprenticeship webpageApplication deadline: 26 March 2023. We would encourage you to apply sooner rather than later. Good luck!If you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ELC Young Carers Service: Who is a Young Carer? | Young Carers | East Lothian Council
- Resources for Parents/Carers of Anxious Students
How to apply or renew free school meals and school clothing grants
If you have any queries or having difficulty completing the form please email email@example.com
If you would like information in your own language or format (e.g. Braille), please phone 01620 827199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) applications are now open. Information and Guidance Notes are available on the website www.eastlothian.gov.uk/ema
Don’t miss out: Education Maintenance Allowance
Young people aged between 16 and 19 who are currently in full-time education or undertaking an Activity Agreement may be entitled to a £30 per week payment.
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is a means-tested award providing financial support to eligible 16 to 19 year olds who want to continue learning. It also applies to those who are in Home Education.
Students who turned 16 on or after 1 October 2022 can now apply:
- Apply before 28 February 2023 to have the payments backdated to the start of January term
- Apply before 31 March 2023 to receive the allowance during the current academic year. Please note that any applications received between 1 March and 31 March will not be backdated; payments will be made from the date the application is received
- Applications received after 31 March will not be processed and EMA will not be paid.
Find out more and apply online at www.eastlothian.gov.uk/ema
Senior Student Study Resources
- Scholar UK
- Please find attached information about e-Sgoil/NeLO Easter Study Support. Registration opens on 1 March 2023 Easter Study letter to directors – 2023
- National E-Learning- Senior Phase (S4-S6).
- SQA website
Please email with a return date, or email each day: email@example.com
Getting in touch
We are really keen to chat to our parents and carers. If you would like to discuss anything with a member of the Senior Leadership Team, we are happy to chat over the phone, via Google Meet or in person. Please just email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch to arrange a meeting