Letters out this week:
Social Media Letter
These will be handed to senior students next week.
This is on Wednesday 8th December, £3.50 for students.
- Roast Turkey with pigs in blankets & gravy
- Brussel sprouts
- Baby carrots
- Roast potatoes
- Cranberry sauce
- Vegetable slice with tomato & basil sauce
- Chocolate fudge yule log.
- Vanilla, chocolate or strawberry ice-cream tub.
The Hub will be open for those wanting alternative food.
Mr Young (Physics)
- ‘he is a great teacher and always makes me feel welcome in his class. He is great at supporting me if I am struggling and never makes me feel bad for getting the wrong answer.’
- ‘I would like to nominate Mr Young as he is always very encouraging and pushes students to do their best. He creates a relaxed and positive environment to learn in even though this takes a lot of effort sometimes! His lessons are always interesting and enjoyable.’
- ‘He is a really good teacher. He works hard to make his lessons fun. He is nice to our class and he is a caring and respectful teacher’
Mr Young – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Mrs Campbell (Pupil Support Assistant)
- ‘Alana is so thoughtful towards students’ needs. When a student is late Alana will make sure that all the equipment they need is already in their place and ready. Not only does this mean that they arrive feeling cared for, but it means that the start of the lesson can run more smoothly even with late-comers and I am really grateful for this! Thank you Alana’
- ‘Miss Campbell is really helpful and friendly. She helps me a lot’
Mrs Campbell – you are a DGS Star, thank you for all you do!
Ryan Lough S5 (Support)
- Ryan is a STAR! He’s a great asset to our Intergenerational Groups – Dinners@DGS and Digital Buddies.
- He helps with all the work involved with providing a two course meal every week for our older friends in the community. Ryan has formed and sustained positive relationships with everyone involved, especially Lydia who he wrote to all through the lock down and still does.
- He also volunteers on a Monday evening at our Digital Buddies group where he teaches our older friends how to use their iPad – he is very patient with them!
- Ryan is a lovely young man and is held in high regard by all of our team and group members.
Katie McDougall S1 (Effort)
- Katie is a fantastic pupil who always puts 110% into her work. She supports those around her with their classwork, and shows great team work and inclusion. Without being asked, Katie will help with Chromebooks/ jotters/ tidying up her Social Subjects classroom, and is so helpful. I hope her positive, smiley approach continues throughout her years at DGS. Katie, you are a true DGS STAR!
Any pupils who are applying to UCAS, for the 2022 start, should be finalising their personal statements and application forms ready for these to be paid and sent by Monday 6th December. The Guidance teacher will then check the forms and enter predicted grades and references. Pupils have been working on their applications since August and with prelims and festivities round the corner we are keen to have these sent away as soon as possible.
Edinburgh College open their application window at the end of January. Pupils who are thinking about going to college should be starting to research their course options on the revamped Edinburgh College website https://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/ Although it should be noted other Colleges have different application dates and may have opened already.
For those students thinking about leaving at Christmas, the following link has details of courses which may be of interest, including quite a few options in beauty.
Anyone who is interested should go and see Lynn Telford the careers adviser.
Apprenticeships (Graduate and Modern)
It’s also worth being aware of the excellent opportunities available for Apprenticeships at the moment. There are currently 27 Graduate Apprenticeship offers and over 400 Modern Apprenticeship offers available on https://www.apprenticeships.scot/ .
Heriot Watt University
If you are interested in studying sports science, Heriot Watt University are hosting a Sports and Exercise science degree showcase at the Orium from 4.30-6.30pm on Wednesday 15th December. Click on the link below for more details
For the first 12 days of Christmas we are asking for foodbank donations as a ‘reverse advent calendar.’ House captains are delivering boxes to registration teachers which we hope to fill.
Our goal is for 1000 items, with the winning house captains delivering these to the foodbank with a member of SLT in time for Christmas.
Child Disability Payment
Child Disability Payment opens for new applications across the country from 29th November. Further information can be found here – https://www.socialsecurity.gov.scot/
Child Disability Payment provides money to help with the extra care and mobility costs children and young people with a disability may have, up to the age of 18.
People can find out more and apply through mygov.scot or by calling 0800 182 2222
For the first time anywhere in the UK, disability benefit applicants can apply online, as well as by phone, post or face-to-face.
This is the first of three complex disability benefits to be introduced nationwide by the Scottish Government. This new payment replaces the UK Government’s Disability Living Allowance for children.
Those already receiving Disability Living Allowance for children do not need to apply. These approximately 52,000 current cases are being automatically transferred in phases from the Department for Work and Pensions to Social Security Scotland. This will be completed by spring 2023.
Child Disability Payment, which will be administered by Social Security Scotland, provides families with support for extra costs that a disabled child might have.
|Tues 14th Dec 2021||Broad General Education (BGE) curriculum review|
|Wed 12th Jan 2022||(Social Subjects)||Approaches to developing confidence and wider skills|
|Thurs 10th Feb 2022||Promoting respect – positive relationships|
|Wed 9th Mar 2022||Support and challenge in teaching and learning|
|Wed 6th Apr 2022||Equality, Diversity and Inclusion|
|Thurs 5th May 2022||ELC Anti-Bullying policy|
|Wed 8th June 2022||(Technologies)||Teacher cover provision|