Check here regularly for updates on opportunities from the careers service and local businesses.
All opportunities which are made aware to the careers team at Skills Development Scotland are listed on this webpage.
Whitekirk Hill Resort – opportunities
Whitekirk Hill Resort, five minutes from North Berwick, has been open since November 2019. It encompasses an Orangery with outdoor Terrace, Leisure Club with over 500 members, Spa, Adventure Play Barn, event space for up to 120 guests not to mention 160 acres of mature woodland, open grassland, ponds and elevated vistas.
Making the most of our fantastic central location, only 28 miles from Edinburgh and in the heart of the East Lothian countryside, the next chapter for Whitekirk Hill promises to be spectacular and exciting.
Our nine lodges have been created by our wonderful team to reflect what is important to us as a business, environmental consciousness at the heart of their design, with no compromise to luxury.
Current opportunities exist due to rapid growth and popular demand:
Orangery and Play Barn – Food service staff, both full and part-time, flexible shift patterns
Kitchen – Chef de Partie, Commis Chef and Kitchen Porter
Reception – Full-time as well as internship/work placement opportunities
Spa – Part-time therapists
Housekeeping – Full and part-time roles
Should transport be required a collection and drop off minibus service may be available subject to numbers and shift patterns. Please apply in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org
EAST LOTHIAN WORKS FOUNDATION APPRENTICESHIP 2020-2022
East Lothian Works’ Foundation Apprenticeship leaflet for 2020-2022 has been released! This leaflet displays the frameworks on offer for students, and identifies the pathways available for young Foundation Apprenticeship pupils. This year’s leaflet is particularly special as it features some of our current Foundation Apprenticeship students either at their workplace, or in the classroom. East Lothian Works would like to extend a huge thank you to these young people for being a part of this leaflet.
Foundation Apprenticeships are fantastic opportunities to gain knowledge in a certain subject while also gaining invaluable work experience. This provides students with a competitive edge when applying for jobs, Modern/Graduate Apprenticeships, Universities, and/or Colleges. They also boost confidence, self-esteem, and can provide pupils with a clear sense of direction once they leave school.
Foundation Apprenticeships are available to Senior Phase students. If you are interested in doing a Foundation Apprenticeship please speak to your Guidance Teacher.
- Apprenticeship Opportunity
- Student volunteer opportunity – ELSNP
- The Sutton Trust Summer School at the University of St Andrews is held each year in order to give pupils in S5 the chance to experience a week in the life of a university student. Please see link: Sutton Trust Summer School 2020
- S3-6 students who could benefit from a challenge/residential experience in the Scottish mountain wonderland this winter, see https://www.edubuzz.org/eloes/2019/12/12/winter-adventure-residential-weekends-in-the-cairngorms/ Parents can book on directly at www.eastlothian.gov.uk/outdoorlearningbookings
- Apprentice Roofers
- Electrical Mechanical Apprenticeship Opportunity – Virgin Trains East Coast has 2 positions for Electrical/Mechanical apprenticeships with plenty of scope for career advancement. Because there is always a huge interest, it is important that all candidates meet the minimum criteria before applying for these apprenticeships to avoid disappointment at the first hurdle. Application should be made on the Virgin Trains East Coast website ‘About Us’ section.
Are you looking for an apprenticeship?
The Foundation Apprenticeship recruitment campaign, led by SDS, went live on Monday 12 March. Contact details below –
Admin assistant vacancy at Van Ameyde in Thistle st. Edinburgh
It is a full time post – Monday to Friday 9am until 5pm with 1 hour for lunch. Salary is £13,500.
See the job profile for your information. All CV’s should be sent to me at the e-mail address below.
email@example.com | www.vanameyde.com
Medic Mentor Event
The above organisation is delivering a National Healthcare Event on the 17th and 18th March taking place in Stirling.
Hundreds of healthcare professionals from across the UK will be volunteering to present and network with students who are interested in:
• Veterinary Medicine
Students can register on the Medic Mentor website and find out more about the events here.Registration is £25 for students on the Saturday conference and there is an optional UCAS lecture available on Sunday for each specialty.
All proceeds are used to support healthcare students with scholarships, elective bursaries, free training and educational initiatives.
Interested in a career in midwifery and nursing?Final Lothian Make a Difference Nursing and Midwifery flier