At Dunbar Grammar School we take a positive approach to inclusion and adhere to The Equality Act 2010. We do not discriminate in our dress code on the basis of:
- Gender reassignment
- Religion or belief
- Sexual Orientation
- Pregnancy and Maternity
We will take action to prevent any discrimination or harassment, direct or indirect.
Therefore, we also commit to promoting awareness and acceptance of choices made by those who identify as Transgender.
Our reasons for promoting school uniform can be summarised as follows:
- Security – uniform allows visitors/strangers in the school to be immediately identified.
- Equality – uniform provides a level playing field for all students.
- Identity – uniform reinforces a sense of community and pride in the school.
- Work ethos – Dunbar Grammar School is a place of work. Uniform helps to create an ethos of purposeful activity.
Uniform is monitored throughout the year by register teachers. It is particularly important that every student in Dunbar Grammar School always wears an item of clothing, which readily identifies them as members of the school i.e., tie, DGS polo shirt or DGS sweatshirt or DGS blazer.
- Formal black or grey trousers/ skirt of appropriate length
- Black jeans are acceptable but must not be ripped / torn
- Formal school shorts (not sport shorts)
- Leggings are permitted if they are of a thick quality and worn with the school jumper/polo shirt
- Formal white / black collared shirt
- School tie (worn appropriately)
- White DGS polo shirt and black DGS sweatshirt
- Navy blue, black or grey jumper/cardigan worn with shirt and tie (no logos should be present)
- Black dress shoes, boots or predominately black trainers
- All S6 students must wear a short, tie and school blazer
What is not acceptable as uniform and should not be worn in school?
- Polo shirts without DGS Logo
- Clothing with commercial logos or written messages should not be worn.
- Non-black jeans or black jeans with rips in them
- Non-black shoes or trainers
- Football team tops (and this includes PE lessons), tracksuit tops, scarves, hats for any team
- Tracksuits/Hooded tops / Sports shorts
- Outdoor coats, hooded tops (including DGS hoodies), hats, scarves and gloves should be removed inside the building.
- All jewellery should be appropriate and safe.
- Students are expected to remove outdoor clothing (jackets, hats) when in school
- Students are expected to change in and out of PE kit during class time.
Ties can be purchased from the school office, all other uniform is available from Border Embroideries
Need help with the cost of school uniform? Free School Meals & Clothing Grants