At Dunbar Grammar School we take a positive approach to inclusion and adhere to The Equality Act 2010. We do not discriminate in our dress code on the basis of:
- Gender reassignment
- Religion or belief
- Sexual Orientation
- Pregnancy and Maternity
We will take action to prevent any discrimination or harassment, direct or indirect.
Therefore, we also commit to promoting awareness and acceptance of choices made by those who identify as Transgender.
Our reasons for promoting school uniform can be summarised as follows:
- Security – uniform allows visitors/strangers in the school to be immediately identified.
- Equality – uniform provides a level playing field for all students.
- Identity – uniform reinforces a sense of community and pride in the school.
- Work ethos – Dunbar Grammar School is a place of work. Uniform helps to create an ethos of purposeful activity.
Uniform is monitored throughout the year by register teachers. It is particularly important that every student in Dunbar Grammar School always wears an item of clothing, which readily identifies them as members of the school i.e., tie, DGS polo shirt or DGS sweatshirt or DGS blazer.
- Formal black or grey trousers / skirt of appropriate length
- Black jeans (must not be ripped / torn)
- Black smart shorts
- Formal white / black collared shirt
- School tie (worn appropriately)
- Navy blue, black or grey jumper or cardigan (hooded tops must be removed in school). No logos
- Black dress shoes, boots or plain black trainers
- Tights should be navy, black, grey or neutral
- White DGS polo shirt and black DGS sweatshirt
- Unbraided Blazer
- All prefects must wear a school blazer with braiding attached
Certain restrictions also apply:
- Football clothing, coloured or heavily branded training shoes and jeans should not be worn.
- Clothing with commercial logos or written messages should not be worn.
- Shirts in bright colours or with readable logos should not be worn under a white shirt.
- Outdoor coats, hooded tops, hats, scarves and gloves should be removed inside the building.
- All jewellery should be appropriate and safe.
Ties can be purchased from the school office, all other uniform is available from Border Embroideries
Need help with the cost of school uniform? Free School Meals & Clothing Grants