- The new area of the school was handed over to us on Monday 12 November!
- On Wednesday 14 November, we carried out an induction/orientation for all students. The new area is now open and the facilities are amazing.
- Between now and Christmas, the final stages of work will be carried out. Two new Science labs will be created and the Temporary Unit will be removed.
- Our official opening will be Saturday 26 January.
This week we welcomed Scott Marnoch as our Active Schools Co-Ordinator.
Children in Need – student events
We have been holding a variety of events to raise money for Children in Need:
- Guess the baby quiz
- Staff gunging. Mr Maxton and Mr Weston were covered in bright pink gunge and Mr Morrison had a mystery mix poured over him!
- Pudsey Cake competition
Visitor to School
We were delighted to welcome BBC Education correspondent Jamie McIvor to the school this morning. He spent some time with English classes, had a tour and even took part in the gunging!
Digital Day 2018
On Tuesday 13 November, 25 students took part in BIMA Digital Day at Dunbar Grammar School. We were lucky to have Nick Craig from Mackerel Media digital marketing in to deliver the hands-on experience and tell us all about his company and how important digital is to them. With Nick’s help each team decided which of 3 challenges they would like to complete:
- Vodafone – to try to get people back into our high street shops using virtual and augmented reality.
- Football Association – to promote the England girls football team getting to the world cup and attempt to get girls into football.
- BBC – to market a new TV series called Earthlings to learn about 7 different countries.
The winning group completed the Football Association Challenge and came up with a fantastic app that would allow girls to communicate before attending a local team/ buy second hand kit to make the sport more inclusive. The winning group included: Chloe Bambrough, Hannah Whitby, Abbie Chisholm, Sophia Hart and Becca Piner.
Every group on the day put in so much effort and all teams were worthy of being entered into the National Competition.
A big well done to everyone involved and thanks again to Nick Craig (www.mackerelmedia.co.uk) for his help on the day.
DGSC (Parent Council) Meeting
The next meeting is on Thursday 20 November: please meet in the Social Space at 7pm. The agenda can be read here: Parent Council. All parents and carers are welcome to attend.
Information Update (URGENT)
We still have several outstanding Seemis forms, which are required to be checked by parent/carers, updated as appropriate, signed and returned, with email addresses. We also need the Emergency Closure form.
We also have several outstanding PC1s which were due back for each student; copies can be downloaded here: Blanket PC1
Respect in the Community
East Lothian Council is working in partnership with other agencies to help young people in Dunbar make good choices in the community, especially during the weekend. Please read the following council information:
S3 Moral Issues Unit
Students in RME are studying ‘Assisted Suicide’ this term. If you have any concerns or questions please do not hesitate to call the school Guidance Department.
Please see our study support and revision clubs leaflet: 2018-19 Study Clubs booklet
School Calendar 2018-2019
Please find a copy of our school calendar: 2018-19 Calendar
Developing the Young Workforce
The DYW Working Group is hosting a S3 Apprenticeship Awareness Day on Tuesday 27 November 2018 from 9.40am – 2pm.
Apprentices will share their career journey, a typical workday, education requirements, details of the apprenticeships their organisation offers and more. This is an opportunity for students to speak with someone whose career choice interests them and to explore areas they may not have considered before.
Please contact Mr Maxton at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a business or have a contact the school could use and would like to contribute to our day.
DGSA Christmas Fair
DGSA are holding a Christmas Fair at DGS on Thursday 29 November. The fair will be from 7pm to 9pm in the Assembly Hall. Donations for the raffle would be appreciated; please can they be handed in to the school office?
S2 Activities Week
Returns for Activities Week are now due back: S2 Activities Week Letter. If you have any queries, please contact Mr Maxton at the school.
Assemblies next week:
- Monday – Victoria in Games Hall
- Tuesday – Castle in Games Hall
- Wednesday – Winterfield in Games Hall
- Thursday – Lauderdale in Games Hall
- Friday – Cromwell in Games Hall
Dates for Your Diary
|DGSC Meeting||Tues 20 Nov|
|Construction Challenge||Thurs 22 Nov|
|AH Modern Studies Prison Trip||Tues 27 Nov|
|S3 Apprenticeship Awareness Day||Tues 27 Nov|
|Girls into Physics Trip||Wed 28 Nov|
|Environmental Science fieldwork||Thurs 29 Nov|
|DGSA Christmas Fair||Thurs 29 Nov|
|SFL Panto Trip||Mon 3 Dec|
|Go4SET||Tues 4 Dec|
|S1 Parents/Carers Information Evening||Thurs 6 Dec|
|S1/2 Christmas Dance||Tues 11 Dec|
|RMPS High Conference||Wed 12 Dec|
|S5/6 Christmas Dance||Thurs 13 Dec|
|S3/4 Christmas Dance||Mon 17 Dec|
|Christmas Concert||Wed 19 Dec|