We are now fully booked for 2021/22!
…if you wish to be on the waiting list just in case a school drops out before the programme starts in February – please fill in the booking form and we will get back to you if a week becomes available
The Outdoor Learning Service are offering East Lothian schools a package of local non-residential adventure weeks. These are designed to deliver educational outcomes themed around a text the pupils will cover in class. Please be aware that we only have 14 weeks of available AWE-some programme for this year – these will be prioritised for those who deliver a Level 2 (on road) BikeabilityScotland programme recognised by Cycling Scotland and ELC Outdoor Learning.
Click on the picture below to see the webinar presentation explaining the AWE-some programme…
The Theme: We will introduce a text (SkyHawk by Gill Lewis) that the pupils will work on in the school. During the week we’ll then link to this and draw out a common thread. This will include themes of resilience, teamwork and sustainability. As part of the package an Outdoor Learning Teacher will visit the school, introduce the text and set the scene prior to the activity week. The class teacher will then work with the pupils using the text.
Duration: The activity programme is for the duration of the school day from Tuesday – Friday. The Outdoor Learning Service will deliver the activities on the Tuesday – Thursday, with the Friday morning back in the school used as celebration and and review of the week. Schools will be able to select from the calendar of available weeks (at bottom of page)
The adventurous activities: Tuesdays to Thursdays will be made up of half or full day activities. Activities provided may include:
- Mountain Biking/ Trail cycling
- Paddlesports – Canoeing / Kayaking / Stand Up Paddle boarding
- River Exploration
- Tree Climb/Slack line
- Bushcraft/ Fire
- Adventure Journey & Navigation Challenge
- Problem solving and Teambuilding Challenges
- Coasteering/ Beach Explore
- Rock Climb & Scramble
See here for a description of these activities. We will endeavour to provide a range of activities through the week. However, depending on the location of the school, your transport options, the weather conditions on the day and any current COVID restrictions not all of the above may be possible every week. Activities can be changed at any moment due to a variety of reasons – weather, staffing. group etc. Please ensure that all parents/carers/pupils/staff are aware of possible programme changes
Cost: £78.75 per pupil. Fully refundable if cancellation made due to COVID-19
What the school need to provide: A link teacher who will support delivery of the classroom aspect of the programme – ensuring that knowledge of the text is complete before the adventurous week.
The school is also responsible for ensuring pupils come with a pack-lunch/snacks for the day and a member of staff (or volunteer helper) for each group attending.
To book on :
- Work out how many groups you need. Our capacity is 6 groups (8 pupils per group) (up to 48 pupils) per day so if you’re a big school you may need to book more than 1 week
- Look at the booking calendar 2021/22 for available weeks
- Complete the AWE-some request form
- ‘AWE-some’ Template Letter to Parents – here
- PC1 – use the standard PC1 along with the parental letter
- EVOLVE – this planning and approval form must be started as soon as your booking is confirmed and submitted well in advance of the activities N.B. Select Multi-activity when asked for the adventurous activities. You do not need to attach specific risk assessments, all activities are covered by the ELC OLS risk assessments as an external provider
- The detailed programme here – This can only be accessed by the school contact and OL staff. Programmes may need to be changed at the very last minute depending on the weather conditions, tides, staffing, group ability, current COVID restrictions etc. Alternate activities that form part of the overall AWE-some programme will be provided. We will do our best to inform you of these changes ASAP but in reality this may be the morning of, or possibly even during the activity. This is the nature of Outdoor Learning (especially in Scotland). Please make sure your staff, children and parents are aware of this.