Duration: 2 Days
No previous first aid experience needed
Minimum age 16+
Suitable for the workplace
It is best practice for early years childcare providers and those working professionally with young children to have a paediatric first aider on the premises at all times when children are present.
This course is a suitable alternative to First Aid at Work for those working in Early Years settings.
Learners will understand the roles and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider, and will be equipped with the necessary skills to administer safe and effective treatment when dealing with a range of paediatric first aid situations.
This course also includes adult first aid protocols in case you need to need assist adult colleagues in an emergency.
- This is a regulated qualification with a minimum of 12 classroom learning hours – learners must attend the full course in order to gain certification.
- The revalidation for this qualification is a further 2 day Paediatric course every 3 years.
- First aid is physically challenging – learners must be fit enough to fully engage with all practical elements and be able to work on the floor in order to meet the assessment criteria.
- Due to the practical nature of this course, appropriate and comfortable clothing is advised.
- If you require any additional support to help you access this course, please let us know at time of booking wherever possible.
- This course meets criteria 1.4 of the Standard for Career-Long Professional Learning
- Role & responsibilities of a paediatric first-aider
- Assessing an emergency situation
- Dealing with an unresponsive infant or child
- Recovery position
- CPR & use of an AED
- Head, neck and back injuries
- Anaphylaxis & allergic reactions
- Febrile convulsions
- Diabetic emergencies
- Burns & scalds
- Electric Shock
- Wounds and bleeding
- Hypovolaemic Shock
- Eye, ear & nose conditions
- Bites & stings
- Minor injuries
- Hot & cold body temperatures
Assessments for this course are 1 written question paper and practical scenarios which are assessed informally throughout the course.
We will do our best to make adaptations for learners who have a disability, medical condition or learning need however, to comply with first aid regulations, learners must be able to meet the minimum standards for assessment, which include performing CPR and recovery position on the floor.
If you think you might need additional help to complete any part of this course or the assessment, please let us know at the time of booking.