There are lots of things you can do at home or when you are out and about with your child to help them with their numeracy and maths. Here are some things that we will cover in our numeracy lessons over the course of P1/2…..
- Counting forwards and backwards
- Can you tell me the number before/after?
- Can you tell me two more than (for example ) 7?
- Counting up in multiples (i.e. 2’s, 3’s, 4’s, 5’s and 10’s).
- Looking at numbers and being able to say their number name. I.e. 6 = “That’s six.”
- Ordering numbers – We normally use number cards all jumbled up and put them into the right order. We do this within decades (ordering numbers 1-9 or 31-39), over decades (ordering numbers 6-14 or 45-57) and over centuries (198 – 206 or 489 – 512)
- Finger patterns – We start by counting out the fingers and holding them up (show me 4) and progress to flashing the number of fingers quickly without having to count (flash me 8 fingers.)
- Finger patterns cont. – Show me 2 different ways to make 7. (I.e. Hold up 3 fingers on one hand and 4 on the other or 5 on one and 2 on the other.)
Addition and Subtraction
- Counting on from a number to complete addition. Put 7 in you head. Now count on 3. We start by touching our head and saying the first number and then using 3 fingers to count up 8,9,10 = 10.
- Counting back to complete subtraction. Put 10 in your head and take 4 away or count back 4. We start by touchin our head and saying 10 then putting up 4 fingers and use these to count back 9, 8, 7, 6 = 6.
Multiplication and Division
- 2,5 and 10 times tables.
- Sharing items into groups. I.e. Can you share these 6 apples equally between 2 baskets.