Your Design assignment this year is to design and make both a
Textile Design: (quilted/Embellished/Appliqued pouch for tablet/kindle/laptop/storage box
Product Design: Decorated Ceramic Container
You must use a variety of materials to create the design.
The product is to be sold in the shops either at the Museum of Scotland/ Seabird Centre/Botanic Gardens (all age groups can be catered for)
Image source ideas for research: Your designs should be based on a theme chosen from the list below
Sea Life, Plants, Flowers, Seed Pods, Birds, Insects, Rainforest, Biological structures
Use the exhibitions/artifacts on show in the MUSEUM OF SCOTLAND/SEABIRD CENTRE/ BOTANIC GARDENS as a starting point:
Other Cultures of the World-
Oceanic Art – Maori, Fiji, Aboriginal
Oriental Art- Chinese, Japanese, Thai
North & South American Art
Ancient Civilisations, Vikings, Armour
Think of interesting shapes, patterns, forms and colours…
The more interesting your Research and Investigation Page, the more inspired you’ll be to create a fantastic product!
You could source ideas from magazines, books, web imagery or your own photos taken at the Museum/ Botanics/ Seabird Centre.
Research and Investigation Page:
- At least 3 quality drawings using different media
- Images/photos relating to your chosen theme
- Market research- Images of existing design solutions from other designers that you like
- Fixings, measurements, sample
- Produce a page in your sketchbook of initial brainstorming of ideas
- Then develop 3 worked design idea drawings in your sketchbook
- Sample and experiment with different materials and techniques
- Annotate your ideas (notes explaining how you could make your idea)
- You will then take the strongest idea to develop further into a finished 3-D Design piece.
- Your Final Outcome
- Must be imaginative, functional, visually effective, well-constructed and created using a variety of materials and techniques.