The teenage years can often feel like being on a rollercoaster for parents, carers and young people – plenty of highs, lows and uncertainty about what might be round the corner! The many physical, emotional and behaviour changes that occur mean that adolescence can be a time of vulnerability as well as a time of great opportunity for young people.
As part of the work we are doing with Growing Confidence, there is the chance to find out more through a 6 week course. Following the success of Raising Children with Confidence which has been delivered to 1,500 parents and carers in Primary Schools, Raising Teens with Confidence aims to give parents and carers time to explore how they can best support their teenage children to navigate increasing independence and develop confidence, security and resilience, as well promote emotional wellbeing in themselves.
Drawing on the latest research and findings around what helps support emotional wellbeing throughout life, the course will give you an opportunity to explore with other parents how the teenage years can be a time for the whole family to ‘thrive rather than just survive’(Siegel 2014)!
The six session course will cover the following topics:
- The Teenage Years: Why What You Do Matters!
- The Amazing Teenage Brain: What’s Going on in There?
- Risky Business: Managing Adventure, Risk and Resilience.
- It’s Good to Talk: The Importance of Staying Connected.
- The Brain Under Stress: Overcoming Setbacks and Promoting Resilience
- Looking After Your Own Wellbeing: Coping with the Changes.