Click here for the NBHS Parent Council Constitution.
PARENT FORUM and PARENT COUNCIL
The Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006 to encourage and support more parents to become involved in their children’s education.
The main aims of the Act are to:
· Help parents become more involved with their child’s education and learning
· Welcome parents as active participants in the life of the school
· Provide easier ways for parents to express their views and wishes
To help achieve these aims, all parents/carers will automatically be members of the Parent Forum at their child’s school and will be entitled to have their views represented to the school, education authority and others, through a representative Parent Council for the school. As a member of the Parent Forum, parents/carers will have a say in selecting their Parent Council (the representative body) to work on behalf of all parents/carers at the school. An outline of the Parent Council meeting dates should be included where possible.
The role of the Parent Council is to:
· Support the school in its work with pupils
· Represent the views of all parents/carers
· Encourage links between the school, parents/carers, providers of nursery education and the community
· Consult with and report back to the Parent Forum.
The new Parent Council arrangements came into effect from August 2007. For more information on the Parental Involvement Act or to find out about parents as partners in their children’s learning please contact the school or Val McIntyre, Principal Officer, at the Department of Education & Children’s Services on 01620 827228 or email@example.com or visit the Parentzone website on www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk or East Lothian Council website on www.eastlothian.gov.uk