Your say matters!
Letters were recently sent home, advising families of proposed plan in East Lothian, to enable as many as possible to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of VE Day in 2020.
Newsround link to explain VE Day.
Various options were discussed by elected members and the decision made reflects on all school children and staff. The Education Dept have asked for parents and carers to respond to their consultation, prior to requesting an extra day of closure for EL schools on 8th May.
**Please find some of the key points about the VE Day – 75th Anniversary Celebrations – Friday 8 May 2020**
- UK Government has approved a change to the date of the May bank holiday from Monday 4th May to Friday 8th May 2020 to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day.
- East Lothian Council does not have a universal fixed holiday in May so there is no opportunity to move any existing May holiday for all council staff.
- Schools are in a different position – the Education Service has already published term times for East Lothian Schools for 2019/20 showing a range of holidays including Monday 4th May 2020.
- A range of options to mark this were considered Full Council, 29th October 2019.
- A decision was taken to recognise Friday 8 May 2020 as an additional one-off leave day. Permission will have to be sought from Scottish Government for exceptional closure of schools on this day.
- In agreeing this option it was requested that Parents/Carers be consulted on their views regarding an additional day’s school closure on Friday 8th May 2020.The link to the questionnaire about this is here. It is open until 6th Dec.