SCHOOL CLOSURE and SCHOOL HUBS – SCHOOL MEALS
With the unprecedented events occurring to help combat the impact and spread of COVID-19 – Corona Virus, schools around the UK closed on Friday 20th March.
Information around essential key workers accessing child care through the six Children’s Hubs in East Lothian was shared – and forms shared to all parents / carers for completion and return.
These forms must be returned to Pencaitland Primary – by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Monday 23rd March. If anyone needs help to email this in, please ask for help through a friend / neighbour or Cncllr Shamin Akhtar. Mob: 07975 543406
EAST LOTHIAN COUNCIL STATEMENT – SUPPORT DURING SCHOOL CLOSURES
East Lothian Council has today (20 March 2020) issued an update from Lesley Brown, Chief Operating Officer (Education) to parents and carers on its plans to continue supporting children and young people during the national closure of schools as a result of the Coronavirus.
In a statement to the Scottish Parliament on Thursday the Education Secretary, John Swinney, confirmed that:
- Councils will be taking measures to protect vulnerable children who rely on schools for hot meals or a safe and supportive environment.
- Children of key workers will have continuing access to learning or childcare.
The update includes information on:
- Children’s Hubs – Pencaitland’s cluster hub is Sanderson’s Wynd (Tranent)
- Key Workers
- Vulnerable Children
- Remote Learning
- Statement from Lesley Brown
The Full Update from Lesley Brown – Supporting our Children and Young People
KEY WORKER CHILDCARE SUPPORT – RETURN DATE 23 MARCH 2020
As you may be aware, the First Minister announced yesterday that the children of key workers should have continuing access to appropriate learning and childcare, potentially beyond the normal school day, that allows their parents/carers to participate in the national response to Covid-19.
In response to this, East Lothian Council will be providing learning and childcare for the children of keyworkers who are registered in local authority schools and early learning and childcare centres. This provision is for key workers who do not have a trusted adult at home to care for their child/ren whilst they are at work. This provision will be delivered through a Children’s Hub located in each of our six largest communities in East Lothian. Where possible, parents/carers will be expected to transport their child/ren to their Hub.
School meals will be provided for those who are currently eligible for free school meals or clothing grants and families wishing to receive this meal entitlement should order online and collect from Sanderson’s Wynd Primary School 11.30 – 12.30 Mon-Fri.
Scottish Government have identified key workers in three categories:
**Priority will be given to families in Category 1 initially**.
- Category 1 – Health and Care workers directly supporting COVID-19 response, and associated staff, Health and Care workers supporting life threatening emergency work, as well as critical primary and community care provision; Energy suppliers (small numbers identified as top priority already); staff providing childcare/learning for other category 1 staff.
- Category 2 – All other Health and Care workers, and wider public sector workers providing emergency/critical welfare services (e.g. Fire, Police, Prisons, Social Workers etc.) as well as those supporting our Critical National Infrastructure, without whom serious damage to the welfare of the people of Scotland could be caused.
- Category 3 – All workers without whom there could be a significant impact on Scotland (but where the response to COVID-19, or the ability to perform essential tasks to keep the country running, would not be severely compromised).
If you are a Keyworker and require support with childcare please could you complete the Keyworker Childcare Form (this is an editable PDF which you can enter text and then save) and email this information back to email@example.com no later than 5pm Monday 23 March, 2020 with the subject heading ‘KEY WORKER SUPPORT’. Once this information has been collated by East Lothian Council we will contact you regarding the learning and childcare support we can provide for your child/ren.
Unless a place is confirmed, no children should attend any school.