We are planning on having a litter pick on a Wednesday afternoon in the next few weeks, so can the PLHS Eco Group please let Ms. Hogg know if you’re free so we can confirm a date soon. Thanks.
A meeting of the group was held on Monday 27th September 2010 at 1 15pm
Present: Mr Bell, Mrs Hogg , Miss Chadwick, Ashton Ritchie, Emma Ferrier, Courtney Ritchie, Carley McCann,
Apologies: Miss Nanson
1. We discussed what needs to be done to achieve a green flag. First an Environmental review needs to be done – Student members agreed to do it
2. A Curriculum audit has to be completed by all departments of the school – Mrs Hogg will speak to Mr Clark and ask for a slot in “In service” day
3. Litter is one of the nine topics for the Green flag and it is compulsory. We need to look at how to move this forward
Next Meeting will be on Tuesday 9th November 2010 at 1 15pm in the Fabric room.
- Environmental review All students
- Curriculum audit- Mrs Hogg
- Green bins: where to situate and how to empty – Miss Basillie
- Proposed zoo visit – Mr Bell
- Next litter pick – Mrs Hogg
- Working towards our green flag meeting – Mrs Hogg and Miss Basillie
We asked 8 people at random in Preston Lodge How they would describe PL in one sentence:
“It is a safe, healthy environment which pupils can relax and learn in.”-S3 Student
“Preston Lodge is a school where i can feel safe and have fun with my learning.”- S3 Student.
“A busy place, loaded with potential in sport, music and academics.” – Ms Bain, Librarian
“A laid back, fun learning environment.” – Ms. Lloyd, Teacher.
“PL is big, fun and exciting!” – S1 Student
“Full of fantastic people!” – Ms. Duthie, Teacher.
“PL is a posisitive, happy and respectful school.” – Mr Redford, Teacher
“It’s good.” – S2 Student
Meeting Notes: 27.09.10
- New Members, we need new first years!
- Now working towards Green Flag, what we need to do and how to do it. We need to look at litter as one of the three topics. We also need an environmental review and an action plan…
- We should look at the school grounds as an environment as there is lots of life and not litter it etc.
- LITTER! We need to put it in the bin
- Curriculum Oddit
- How does the environment fit into all the school subjects?
1. How we proceed in working towards the 1st Green flag
2. The nine topics
3. The Environmental Review and Action plan
5.Recruiting new members
Following our fantastic success last year achieving the Eco schools Bronze and Silver award, this year we are setting our sites on gaining our first Green flag.
To do this we need lots of support from all budding eco warriers who want to make a difference in the school to improve our environment.
Our first meeting of this term is on Monday 27th September at 1 15 in the Fabric room in HE.
All new members are welcome. Come along and bring your lunch
There will be an eco group meeting next monday in the Fabric Room. All first years and any other new members are welcome to come along, bring your lunch!
2010 is an important year. The United Nations have declared it ‘The International Year of Biodiversity’.
To celebrate this, East Lothian Council and a few organisations are running competitions to help celebrate this event and raise awareness.
1) Photography competition.
The Scottish Seabird Centre are running a photography competition to co-incide with the Year of Biodiversity.
Entries are now being taken for their Nature Photography competition. The competition entry may be a class or an individual entry.
Closing date – 31st October.
For more information visit
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
2) ‘Biodiversity’ Writing competition.
Supported by East and Midlothian Councils, Butterfly World and Tyne and Esk Writers.
Open to S1 – S4.
Entries can be poetry or prose. Collect an entry form from a member of the Biology department. Entries must be with Mrs Bain the school librarian by 1st of October 2010
3) Check out the UN Biodiversity website . It includes a link to the ‘Red list organism of the day’, the red list being a database of organisms in real danger of extinction unless action is taken.
Follow the link http://www.cbd.int/2010/welcome/